Monday, June 20, 2011

On Submission...again

Image snagged from Source

I spent the afternoon revising and spit-shining a short story for submission. It's amazing how much easier the editing process is when you've put the project aside for a couple months.

I hadn't reread this particular story since early spring when I submitted it to a literary magazine called Independent Ink. That market generally takes 120 days to notify authors of acceptance or rejection, although they state on the website that if the story is of interest to them but not right for the issue they're currently preparing, they may take longer to announce the acceptance, to coincide with the issue it will appear in. I've now been waiting to hear a 'yay' or 'nay' for 139 days...A good sign or not, I can't guess.

At any rate, I decided to submit the story to other markets. If it is accepted someplace else, I'll withdraw it from Independent Ink's consideration.

I hadn't forgotten what the story was about, but I had become distant enough from it to enjoy it as a reader would. I wasn't skimming the words like I did when it was well-rehearsed in my writer's brain. I actually read it.

And, naturally, I found places where a tweak was in order. After some minor adjustments that, I think, strengthened the flow and overall emotional impact of the story, I sent it off. I don't think I'll ever get over the nervous, flip-flopping jitters I feel when I push the "Submit" button. It's a gulp from a big glass of exhilarating terror. Makes me sort of drunk, every time.

Now I have to settle in for another 90-day wait, on average. Plenty of time for cramps to take hold of my tightly crossed fingers. Going to try to put it out of my mind and just write.

Just write.

Just.Write.

*Smile* 


                                    

37 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope you get good news in a couple months!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Best of luck to you in getting that story published!

Laura Pauling said...

Sending is the easy part. It's the waiting that's hard! Good luck!

Nicole Zoltack said...

I sometimes think it's harder to find a home for short stories than novels! Good luck! :)

Linda G. said...

Good luck! *crossing fingers for you*

KM Nalle said...

Oh Good Luck. I'll be crossing my fingers and toes for you.

erica and christy said...

That's very awesome, Nicole! Keep working!
erica

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Good luck!! :) Sounds nifty.

Summer Ross said...

I wish you fairy good luck! I have the same feeling when I hit submit too. The waiting is the worst.

Anonymous said...

I hope you get a quick answer, good luck! I would get impatient taking such a long break from my story, but I guess sometimes us writers need it. ;)

Vicki Rocho said...

Good luck! I'd keep my fingers crossed for you, but it's so hard to type that way...

Jessica Bell said...

Firstly, when you said 'Spit-shining', I read 'Spinning-shit'. Dyslexia you think? LOL.

You shouldn't be nervous about submissions! You're one of the best writers I've ever met.

I click the submit button like I flush the toilet. Got a nice pile of rejections, but some acceptances too. And if you don't try, you get anywhere. Just submit all you can. The rejections will stop bothering you. They have me. I just roll my eyes now. LOL

Jessica Bell said...

*you get nowhere* SIGH

Sophia said...

Good luck, Nicole! Any story teasers you care to share?

Mary Aalgaard said...

Oh, the wait. But, good for you sending out more work. I start shaking as soon as I hit send, even when it's a sure thing.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Good luck! But whatever the outcome, completing and submitting is always a positive step forward.

Unknown said...

Good luck on the submission. And yes, just write! Just write, damn it!

Laurel Garver said...

As Jessica said, just keep submitting. A story I got published in early spring was the third place I'd tried. I haven't done any simultaneous submitting, but I've heard 'submish-mash' is helpful for doing so.

Good luck!

Bryan Russell said...

I think there should be a Submit button. And, right beside it, a Forget button. Maybe a drop down box where you can set the forget time limit...

Bossy Betty said...

Hoping for the best!

Jemi Fraser said...

I agree - it's absolutely terrifying!! Good luck!! :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I hope you receive some good news, either from the first one you submitted the story to or this most recent one.

Lydia Kang said...

Good for you for being proactive and getting your story out there!

Pat Tillett said...

I hope your wait is a quick one and that it gets published!

Lola Sharp said...

Good luck...and YES, keep writing. Just write.


Love you, Nic.
Hugs,
L

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Nicole, fingers crossed! I've left a couple of awards for you on my blog.

Vicki Tremper said...

I find getting distance extremely helpful in revising. Good luck with your submission - waiting sucks, so just keep writing!

John Wiswell said...

We always have to produce, and preferably keep re-submitting the rejected material to the next markets. I'm actually a little cheered when I don't hear back from a market at the expiration of their standard response time. Frequently it's turned out to be good news.

Matthew MacNish said...

Is this a short story?

The thing about revision, I think, is that you can always come back later, and find things worth changing. It's hard to know when it's actually done.

Shannon said...

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing good news from you!

Luna said...

Keeping my fingers crossed! Happy writing...:)

M Pax said...

Good luck! I need to get more submissions out.

Unknown said...

Hope these leads to some very good news for you. I'm in the midst of two stories as I am trying to get more submissions out there. Good luck!

Christa Desir said...

Crossing my fingers for you. Hope it works out. But yes, keep writing.

Unknown said...

Good luck! I hope you get a fast (and fantastic) response!

Misha Gerrick said...

Just goes to show you how much we miss in edits because we don't let our works rest.

I hope you get an acceptance in the near future. :-)

J. L. LaRossa said...

Wishing you the best and a positive response.