Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Concrete Poem

Just a little concrete poem I wrote a while back.
Hope you enjoy it!



                  The Call of the Whale




My name is Dylan,                                                                      “Lover of the Sea.”
    Or so my mother                                                                hoped I’d always be.
    The palm fronds swayed                                            the day that I was born.
        And sea gulls screeched their                            welcome from the shore.
          A family of simple needs raised            me. Our livelihood was eked out
            from the sea.  From babe to boy,      my playground was the beach;
                Observant ocean never failed to teach.  But I, unwilling student,
                    would not hear and dreamed instead of arid west frontier.
                    Two years of misery in desert quest; I searched for verve
                        but found I was depressed. ‘Neath empty skies and
                          cacti's harsh embrace, the ocean ebbed and
                                  pulled me from that place.  Thalassic
                                          prodigy returned at last, at
                                            ocean’s edge I stood and
                                              viewed my past: I was
                                              the whale compelled
                                                to breathe fresh air,
                                                  an orcan idealist
                                                  lunged, unaware.
  In 
reckless flight I'd faced a basic fact. A  whale lives under

     contract most 
exact. I’m from the sea and  it’s a part of me;
                  
My salty tears were proof and guarantee.









Have a wonderful day!
                                    

15 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

Enjoyed

erica and christy said...

I very much enjoyed your poem! I'm glad I decided to blog hop instead of open my word document...! christy

Summer Ross said...

You have a wonderful flow in this poem and the actual images that go with it are really well done. thank you for sharing.

julie fedderson said...

The last line made me actually tear up. I can identify with being in the wrong place, and this describes it perfectly (literally and figuratively). Loved it.

Anonymous said...

Lovely :O)

Luna said...

Very beautiful! I love how you put it together, too. Thanks for sharing!

Hope you and your family are enjoying the summer! Take care...:)

Anonymous said...

I love this! It's amazing how you got it all into the shape of a whale tale. :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Such a lovely visual reminds me of ee cumming. Great job!

Pat Tillett said...

Very nice and very good Nicole!
I really enjoyed it.

Jessica Bell said...

I love this poem! But you already know that! :o)

Tony Benson said...

That's a lovely poem. Very touching.

Shelley Sly said...

This is beautiful and so creative!! Thanks so much for sharing, Nicole! :)

Anonymous said...

What an amazing, creative poem, Nicole.

Have a great weekend.

Barbara said...

Wow, I loved it! Just looking at it filled me with creative joy :) really lovely! Thank you for sharing this one! Have a nice weekend - I hope I'll come back soon.

Talli Roland said...

Wow - amazing, Nicole! Loved the visual appeal, too.