Friday, June 17, 2011

Facing the Fear

On a warm spring day this year, my daughter opened a canvas camping chair and settled in to read a book in the shade of our small front porch. That evening, instead of hauling the chair back to the garage like she should have, she pulled up on the four corners of the chair back and seat front, collapsing the chair up into a vertical bundle. She stood it in the corner next to the front door and then went into the house.

A week later, we noticed the nest.

A mama Bewick's Sparrow had discovered the hammock-y nook that the seat bottom created, sheltered on all sides by folds of stiff canvas. She'd deemed it the perfect spot to nest, and before long we spied six speckled eggs atop a bed of woven twigs and straw.

Try as we did, remembering to use an alternate exit from the house proved difficult, and the regular traffic of neighborhood kids ringing the doorbell in search of playmates increased with the lengthening days. Each time someone drew near, Mama Sparrow took panicked, sputtering flight, several times smacking into the porch eaves in her haste to flee.

Then one day, she just never returned. Without her attention, the abandoned eggs succumbed to the elements, their precious contents surrendering to the chilly spring air.

As a novelist I am like that Mama Sparrow. I build a story nest. I outline on paper, weaving character sketches with plot points, constructing something tangible from the ideas floating in the quiet safety of my imagination. A new project excites me; it consumes my waking thoughts. As I wash the dishes, the characters speak. When I fold the laundry, scenes play out. Driving the car, I see setting landscapes rise on the horizon of my mind. All the eggs are laid. Nothing left to do but roost and write.

Something happens to me at this point in the project. I get spooked. I stare at the blank screen. I begin the first chapter, but wind up scratching the first scene. I start over with a different character, or put him in a different room, outdoors, three days before, one month later...

I give myself time off. Sometimes, I'm told, stepping back from the project gets the creative fires burning again. I try anew, and the same thing happens. I jump back again in panicked, sputtering flight.

And I've learned that when I flee often enough, the fragile ideas sense impeding abandonment. They cool off and perish, like unattended eggs in a nest.

For whatever reason, I don't struggle this way with my short fiction. And I question whether I'm just being stubborn in my desire to write a novel. Then I recognize, again, the fear lingering in-between the words in that sentence. The urge for flight is strong, but my love for writing and faith in the process must be stronger. 

And the moral of this story is this: Story ideas, like any artistic inspiration, must be acted upon in the heat of that initial, stimulating enthusiasm. How many times have you been driving down the road and a brilliant idea for a character comes to you? And how many times have you later gone to your computer to write about her, and her essence has evaporated from your mind like mist in morning sunlight? Writers can't put off inspiration. Not for a busy schedule, not for lack of sleep, and certainly not for fear.




[The above article was originally published on June 15, 2011 in my monthly newsletter at Writing.com.]

As I face my fears and embark on my second attempt at a full-length novel, I wish all of you the same inspiration and perseverance for your current writing endeavors that I'm beckoning for mine.  Write on, friends! 


                                    

24 comments:

Linda G. said...

True. Fear chills too many great story ideas.

But funny you should mention driving down the road and having the idea for a character come to you -- that happened to me once. Luckily, the character was stubborn enough to stick around, and the book will be coming out next summer. :)

PT Dilloway said...

I think it's better to let things marinate for a little while. It's good to jot down notes as they come to you, but don't just start hacking away on something because of "inspiration." What you end up with will probably suck and then you'll be bummed out about it. So take a little time and develop the ideas until they make sense. No need to rush unless you're on a deadline.

Summer Frey said...

It took me 14 years of writing every day before I finally finished a novel, Nic. I enjoyed the time, flitted from idea to idea to idea, and strengthened my craft. As long as there's no deadline, there's no rush. The novel will come when it's time.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My first book took years to come together, so it's almost worried me how quickly the second one happened. Of course, I was really focusing on it.
And we don't hang anything on our front door anymore because one year a bird built a nest there. We ended up roping off the front porch!

Talli Roland said...

Very, very true, Nicole. You just need to keep pushing forward through the fear and doubt. That's what I keep telling myself!

Unknown said...

This post is especially poignant for me right now, as I have had to step a way from my own WIP.

May I watch you forge ahead with yours?

Myne said...

All the best to you Nicole, and thanks for the encouragement.

Lindsey Duncan said...

Beautiful post! Best of luck, Nicole.

I am, by nature, an incubator - I need a certain amount of time away. I've learned to trust that my brain is up to its tricks even when I'm not actively thinking about a project.

Susan Kane said...

Fear can paralyze a writer, I guess. So can inactivity. I agree with you. Thanks for the analogy.

KM Nalle said...

Fear is tricksy and inspiration can be fleeting sometimes. Sometimes I need the time away to really fine tune an idea. I'll work on it a little take a few days off and come back to it. It works for me, but there is always the chance I'll lose interest.

Good luck on your novel.

John Wiswell said...

Very encouraging words, Nicole. I'm glad you're moving through your struggles.

Anthony Duce said...

I enjoyed the analogy. All you say here is so familiar too. I am encouraged by this post. Thank you

alberta ross said...

blackbirds are the worst for that here in UK - barmy birds for nesting too close to doors, cats, cars etc!!!

Suze said...

I can 'hear' your talent as a writer in reading your words. Press on in the struggle to write your novel. That is all.

Anonymous said...

Fear is a big thing to get over at times.

I get ideas that wake me up in the middle of the night. Sometimes I get up and write them down. Other times I convince myself to go back to sleep. I tell myself I'll remember it in the morning, but most of the time I don't.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Great post. Gives me a lot to think about. Years ago I started writing down storie ideas the moment they occured to me and then filing them away, because I've had the experience of thinking I'd remember the idea, and then wondering later, what exactly did I have in mind with this? But I think once you are into a novel and get to a point where you are stuck, sometimes it's really good to abandon it for awhile and let it cook on the back burner -- as long as you remember to come back to it. (Unlike the mama bird.)

Lola Sharp said...

Aww, the poor abandoned eggs...and the poor mommy bird who must be stressed out about leaving them.

But, I appreciate your comparison. :)

And, I think acknowledging/admitting your fear is the first step. Now, my advice is to not worry about your beginning or getting anything 'perfect' ...free yourself from the fear by just challenging yourself to write a completely shitty story of 60k+ (even if it's mostly just free-writing) with a beginning and middle and an ending. Even if each of those parts are thoroughly sucktastic.
I say this because I think to work past the fear, you need to prove to yourself that you CAN pound out 60-90k w/ a beginning, middle and end. And perhaps doing it Nano-style (FAST).
And you might find that you learn a lot by doing it (and gain confidence from completing it)...even if it's pure shit. You might even find out that you have some real pearls and gems in there....gems you can rewrite/revise.

So please, go easy on yourself as far as perfection...and just write. See where the words take you...but keep writing. (no revising/editing as you go) (I mean, that works for some people, but it sounds like it stalls and kills it for you...so don't allow yourself to do it. Just keep going forward.)

Love and hugs, Nic.
~Lola

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post! Thanks for sharing!
Everyone is afraid.
The superior person is the one who acts in spite of his fear.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Wonderful analogy, and well written. I've spent years with the same loss of an idea that just floundered and with fear that I'm just not good enough. I'm not sure if that fear ever goes away, but I sure hope so. Good luck to you in your writing endeavors!

Tina @ Life is Good
and I are joining forces in another challenge. We're going to visit and comment at each of the participants, starting with the reflections post. We hope you'll join us!

Shannon @ The Warrior Muse

Christa Desir said...

This is great and spot-on. I think what has helped me is starting my novel as a short work of fiction and then growing it from there. If I start with a 20,000 word "novel," I can add scenes, description, etc. and pretty soon, it's 40,000 words. I wonder if it would help you make the leap to longer form fiction.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Well, we might have to put it off for the sake of traffic safety. Otherwise, it's drop everything and write! Great mantra.
We had a robin's nest in our hanging pot one year. I thought, how lovely to build your house in a pot of flowers.

Anonymous said...

*tacklehugs*

Me too! Gah! I shall read this again and again, m'dear, as I also plow through my second attempt at a novel this year.

Thank you!

:)

Jai Joshi said...

Aw, poor little baby sparrows! I've felt this way about stories I didn't finish. Like I'd abandoned them and not reared them to their true potential. Still makes me sad. The difference is that with writing we can always go back and make it right.

Jai

Pat Tillett said...

To really write, I need to be totally sequestered from my everyday life. It was a great analogy about the sparrow, but sad...