Friday, April 1, 2011

'A' Is for...??

The A-Z Blogfest is finally here!  And ‘cause that’s how we roll, Jessica Bell and I have teamed up -- once again -- as writing partners.  We decided to challenge ourselves with identical A-Z prompt words. 

Together, we created our list of twenty-six nouns, all of which are emotions.   Each day, we will each write a paragraph showing a character feeling that emotion.  It’s going to be fun for us to read what the other has come up with!  And, hopefully it will be fun for our blog visitors, too.  

Here’s how we want to draw you into our little fest: Say, for example, the prompt for A (today) was 'Acceptance' (it's not, btw).  You read my post, and then, awesome reader, you have the opportunity to GUESS in the comments what emotion my character portrayed.  After, click the link at the bottom of my post to visit Jessica’s blog and read her paragraph.  Still think you guessed the right emotion, based on her flash?  We’d can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

Here's my 'A' Entry:


Caty screamed, at the pain, at the pain.  Relentless, it crashed in overlapping waves, drowning every corner of her mind and every inch of her body.   The world was one, giant, cruel vortex, pulling her down, down and inside-out.  She gasped, gulping the air, and screamed again.  From somewhere Gary’s voice floated, reminding her to pant.  She spat a string of stinging obscenities at him.  Another voice, commanding, insisting, announced that this was "it."  The voice called her name, twice.  It ordered her to focus now; now, now you push.  Harder, Caty.  That’s it, here she comes, Caty.  And Gary’s voice coached in her ear; his gentle hands held her under the arms, pushed forward on her back, his strength seeping through her skin and into her soul.  And she was one with the pain, the pain was one with her.

Gary eased Caty back against the pillows, as the doctor laid the baby in her arms.  Giant navy eyes stared up at her.  Caty stared, stared back.  The pain was gone.  Gary wiped a stringy strand of hair to the side of Caty’s brow, and a tear fell and mingled with her sweat when he kissed her forehead.  She couldn’t think, couldn’t process what her eyes saw, her ears heard, her heart felt.  Her daughter was here, she was her.  She was the most beautiful thing Caty had ever seen, and she was really here.


So, can you guess the emotion (a noun) depicted in this piece that begins with the letter ‘A’? (Hint: The prompt word I share with Jessica is gleaned from the second paragraph, but I can think of an emotion or two that fits the first paragraph.  Guess at both, if you like!)  All guesses and thoughts in general are welcome!  And please shoot over to Jessica’s blog to read her interpretation of our ‘A-prompt word.  Here’s the link!



                                    

63 comments:

Laura S. said...

This is such a great idea! I can't wait to see what you and Jessica come up with every day.

All I can think of is she must be amazed, but I think that's a verb. Wonderful story, Nicole! The first paragraph was so descriptive I'm pretty sure I'm never going to have a baby ever. Lol!

Happy April!

Jan Morrison said...

Awe! or Ah! or Aeeeow! or All three...
great start to the month.
Jan Morrison

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Beautiful!
But it's too early for me to me to solve puzzles -- still waiting for coffee.

GigglesandGuns

Unknown said...

Happy A-Z Challenge. You've started off with a BANG. Great idea.

Mary Aalgaard said...

At first, I thought, Anquish, then I thought Awe.

Valerie Keiser Norris said...

First thought--anger. Then awe.

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Oh the pain, the joy, and the never again thought for all but a few moments! Sweet.
best
F

Jules said...

I'm with Mary, awful early for a puzzle but I go with astonishing. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jennifer Shirk said...

Great idea!

I was thinking agony up until the end, then amazement. :-)

Ellie Garratt said...

Gosh...either agony or anger!

Awesome idea for the A to Z Challenge.

Ellie Garratt

Vicki Rocho said...

Love the passage to illustrate the word. Great exercise!

Sophia said...

I love this idea: you two can flex your writing skills and we (your humble readers) get to play a guessing game and see examples of how to show instead of telling at the same time. Nice.
- Sophia.

Misha Gerrick said...

Hmmm... I'm going to say... anguish.

Love this idea by the way. :-)

Loralie Hall said...

I love your approach and your flash fiction for the day. Amazing.

After the first paragraph all I could think was 'agony' but the second made me thing 'awe' (also my reaction to the overall work).

Looking forward to following you through the month ahead and beyond ^_^

Summer Frey said...

Agony is my guess.

Great idea! I'm not participating this year; last year was hard enough! :)

L.A. Colvin said...

First was agony until I read it was the second para, so I'd say awe. Loved this one.

baygirl32 said...

what a great idea... I will be back for more

http://baygirl32.blogspot.com

Jessica Bell said...

AWESOME, nicole! :o) Mine is up now. Was a bit late to the drawing board today!!! :(

Unknown said...

agony???not sure...but I love the idea of the emotions.

Unknown said...

What a great passage! I'm thinking the emotion is awe. I can't wait to see what you and Jessica have for tomorrow. :)

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Loving all the AWE this morning. Great A-Z idea for you and Jessica.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

*smiles* I'm going with amazement, although the whole agony emotions is pecking at me. LOL

Matthew MacNish said...

Oh man, you're going to make us work for it? Just kidding, great piece Nicole!

KM Nalle said...

What a great idea! I'm going to say Awe too.

Arlee Bird said...

Awe or amazement certainly work for both of your entries.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

Melissa Sarno said...

This is such a brilliant idea! AT first I thought anguish. Then I thought amazement.

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss nicole! im thinking seeing your baby for the first time you just gotta be awestruck.
...hugs from lenny

Trevor Peck said...

What an awe-inspiring post! Loved it. Thanks form A2Z!

Carolyn V said...

At first I though agony, but now I'm thinking amazement.

Unknown said...

Wow now this is dedication but I'd expect nothing less from you and Jess.

I'm already feeling a little embarassed I wasn't that creative!!!

You two are going to rock my world this month! Good luck!

Larri said...

Love your take on the challenge! My guess is Awe. I really like your writing style. Thanks for sharing.

Visiting from the A to Z Challenge. I look forward to reading your posts. Happy Friday! :o)

Anonymous said...

I'm never very good at guessing, but my first thought is a feeling of AWE.

Southpaw said...

I was going to go with agony—but decided on awe in the end.

A-Z Fellow Challenger
Holly Ruggiero’sPOV

Tiger85 said...

I'm guessing awe, I liked you description. Like your blog and I'll be following you now. Can't wait to read the rest. =)

http://tigeronmybookshelf.blogspot.com/

Corinne O said...

Loved your post! I would have to say there are several possible prompts here:

Anxiety
Anger
Achievement
Awe

Happy Blogfest!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Nicole .. I'm thinking amazement - but suspect it's not that .. fun though .. cheers Hilary

Marjorie said...

Still going with amazement or awe. Though the first part would be anguish. I've been through it more than enough to know!

jabblog said...

I'd say awe - but it could equally be agony or amazement.

Susan Kane said...

I was going with agony and amazement/awe, then I read every one's comments. NOw I am blank.
Great blog.

Michael Di Gesu said...

My guess is AWE as well.

Great idea you and Jess have.

Laura Howard said...

I will guess awe... Great idea, break it up a bit so that I have to use my gray matter!
I was Thinking anxiety at first... But then I knew that feeling, having been there a time or four lol !!

Laura Howard said...

I will guess awe... Great idea, break it up a bit so that I have to use my gray matter!
I was Thinking anxiety at first... But then I knew that feeling, having been there a time or four lol !!

Myne said...

Agony for 1st and Awe for second paragraph. Thats a cool idea you and Jessica came up with.

Hannah said...

That is awesome!! I love writing prompts! Good luck!

Julie said...

What a great idea! I look forward to the rest of your posts!
Everyone already guessed my emotions so I won't bother lol. :)

Ju Dimello said...

Wow, nice entry :)

A for admiration?

Anonymous said...

Awesome ... and I'm going to pass on the puzzle ... been a long and crazy week.

RosieC said...

You know, while I see how this is "awe", just like with Jessica's post I started thinking that this could be "adrenaline". I suppose that's not really an emotion, though, huh? Hmm. Okay, I guess I'm firming in the "awe" camp. :)

Rosie
East for Green Eyes

nutschell said...

Hey Nicole! what a great idea to have a tag-team for the A-Z!

Linda G. said...

I have to go with "awe," too. Good writing! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

awe, or agony - great writing!

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea!

I'm going to guess Agony? Or Amazement?

I think they both fit!

Lady A x

Luanne G. Smith said...

Brilliant idea!

Awe and amazement certainly, though accomplishment wouldn't be so far off-base either.

Denise Covey said...

A brilliant idea but I'm not sure everyone's going to have the time to spend to get their brains into gear (for me, very early in de morn.) I'll just say I enjoyed your post (which I really, really did.)

Denise<3

L'Aussie Travel Blog A - Z Challenge

The Words Crafter said...

agony? awe?

Great post, and also a great plan!

jkraus8464 said...

Love this idea. Very clever and original. I definitely will be reading it and trying to guess. I definitely thought it was awe (agony in the first paragraph) but having a baby well, awe is the only a word that comes to mind.

Why Not? Because I Said So! said...

Showing a lot of creativity here. I wished I had thought of something great like you did.

I also was thinking of awe. Nice blog.


~~Sheila
Reviewer & Writer
Book reviews and Author Interviews at my blog at http://whynotbecauseisaidso.blogspot.com/

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Awe :)

Lyn
W.I.P. It: A Writer's Journey

Anonymous said...

Angst? This is an excellent theme to get through the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Awe :o)


Wool'n'Nuts

DiscConnected said...

Interesting idea, especially to do it in tandem....

Did anyone guess "anticipation?"

"Awe" and "amazement" are good ones, too, but I never was a joiner...

Talli Roland said...

Eek! That was so vivid, Nicole, I can actually feel the pain!

Holly Jahangiri said...

Deliberately NOT reading previous comments:

Agony
Anxiety
Anticipation
Accomplishment
Amazement
Awe


Holly Jahangiri

It's All a Matter of Perspective

This year, it's personal - I'm now a "survivor." Please give to Relay for Life.