Saturday, April 2, 2011

'B' is For...??

It's Day Two of the A to Z Blogfest and Jessica Bell and I are going strong.  See, we teamed up for this adventure with the hopes of stretching our writing muscles.  Be sure to follow the link at the bottom of this post to her blog.

Here's the deal: We have created a top secret list of A-Z prompt words to inspire our blogfest entries.  The words are all nouns, and they are all emotions.  We challenged ourselves to come up fictional entries that 'show' a character(s) in the grips of the emotion of the day.  We ask you, awesome reader, to read my entry (since you're here) and guess, in the comments, what emotion I've depicted.  Then shoot over and read Jessica's entry.  Still think you've guessed correctly?  Let her know!  (And natch, if you happen upon her blog first, in future, won't you shoot over here after you comment there? :D)

So, without further ado, here's my 'B' entry.  What 'B' emotion have I described??

Jenna stared into the deep, inky pools of Cliff’s eyes.  Had it just been two hours ago that she’d felt lost in them?  The urge to glance at her wristwatch (again) and verify the time was strong, but she resisted.   Instead, she forced her eyes wider, just a tab more, and redirected her focus to the tiny mole just northeast of the bridge of his chiseled nose.  In her peripheral vision, a waiter in black and white passed with a tray of steaks, sizzling on cast iron plates.  The smell taunted her famished stomach.  Cliff was still talking, his words mingling with the restaurant’s din.  She admitted he was the most handsome blind date she’d ever gone out with, hands down.  But he’d turned out to be all looks.  His conversation dominated the evening, his baritone voice a constant drone of self-proclaimed accolades that left her wishing she carried a pistol in her purse.  The question was, who would she aim it at first?  Cliff?  Her own temple?  She narrowed her eyes.  No...she'd take a shot at Sara, her soon-to-be ex-friend who’d set her up in the first place.


Figured out what emotion that starts with 'B' I described?  I can't wait to read your comment :))  And, to read Jessica's 'B' entry, click THIS LINK.  See you over there!

                                    

44 comments:

Charmaine Clancy said...

Bemused?


Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

The Words Crafter said...

Her soon to be ex friend! Love it. Hmmm, bored?

Laura Pauling said...

Without looking at the others, I first thought of bored!

KM Nalle said...

Oh so sleepy this morning. I can't guess. Great passage though :)

Glynis Peters said...

Yawn-bored.

:) Great fun.

Jessica Bell said...

hahaha! This was such a great entry! And so creative! Nice one!

Luanne G. Smith said...

Bored and bothered. :)

Laura S. said...

My guess is bored!

Jules said...

Everyone over at Jessica's guessed bored, has to be. Though you disguised it well :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Ju Dimello said...

I first thought "bored"..then came with the classic question : can a bored feeling be interpreted as emotion? ;)

Unknown said...

This is awesome. Been there with guys like Cliff and I've wanted to stick a fork in my eye. Boredom for sure.

Beth said...

That plaid B you've posted in your blog is like the cutest B ever!
bethfred.com

Eliza said...

I think bored :-)

Renae said...

Great entry. Very creative.

Susan Oloier said...

Skipped down without glancing at other. I would say--boredom.
Nice way to set the scene and the emotion, Nicole.

Tiger85 said...

I'm guessing bored. Love this scene.=)

http://TigeronmyBookshelf.blogspot.com/

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

bored???? Cool idea. :-)

jkraus8464 said...

Bored and a half. I mean she's talking about destruction here. You have to be super-bored to entertain that thought. Great piece. I love it.

DiscConnected said...

I'd say my guess, but everyone on both blogs already had it.

I'll be curious to see what emotion you come up with for the letter "X"

LC

Ella said...

I'd have to say zzz, Bored, he is a snooze fest of fun~ Keep the writing up...intriguing! He is bland; She is
bored.

Unknown said...

Poor woman - she has reached the bottom of bored and still hadn't levelled out ;)

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

I think everyone's on the right track. Love your plaid 'B'.

If you need an idea for M, I'm hosting a blogaversary blogfest on the 15th to celebrate my 1st year of blogging. It's all about the letter M so it would count. Would love you to join in.

Alison Miller said...

I thought bored too.

Great idea for posts for the A-Z. Mine will be so random.

Myne said...

I guessed from Jessica's - Boredom!

Leovi said...

The word is "boredom"

thelmaz said...

Boredom. Very clever.

Julie said...

This reminds me of a date I had a while ago...except not that good looking lol. Boredom!!!

Soooz Burke said...

Watching grass grow is often more exciting than some relationships, has to be "bored" definitely not "bewitched bothered or bewildered"

Stop by my post if you have a moment.
here:
http://sooozsaysstuff.blogspot.com/2011/04/a-z-challenge-day-3-c-crocodile-with.html

Now I'm off to comment on the linked post.

Marjorie said...

I guessed boredom over at Jessica's blog. This take is also great.

Stephanie V said...

I'm thinking it's boredom but I wish I could think of another word that starts with B. No, I'm not even a little bit competitive.

Unknown said...

I instantly thought "bored". Love the post.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Boredom it is, and a very clever theme and team effort for the A-Z Challenge! Great job you two!
~Josie Two Shoes~
Two Shoes In Texas 
Monday Memories
Write A Letter Wednesday
Words In Motion

Margo Kelly said...

Great post ... boredom?! Happy B-day. I'm a new follower from the A-Z Challenge - nice to meet you! :)

www.margokelly.blogspot.com

Raquel Byrnes said...

Disappointed that he isn't more than a pretty face.
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Jemi Fraser said...

Bored for sure! Poor girl! :P

Anonymous said...

hahaha this is great - Boredom


Wool'n'Nuts

Unknown said...

I'm going with bored too. Happy hopping. Waves

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Bored stiff. But not by your post - really enjoyed that.

A Piece of My Mind

doreen said...

Bore for sure. But the story wasn't!

Alex F. Fayle said...

I love the way you so wonderfully describe boredom without ever using the word. It's a vibrant piece that isn't at all boring and yet there's no interaction, no dialog - just inside the head stuff - and you rocked it! Well done!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Can't possibly be 'bored'. The passage sounds too critical for that. I think the answer is 'betrayed'. Betrayed by her best friend due to suggesting Cliff to her.

Duncan In Kuantan

Amy Holder said...

Haha! Very creative! Love your writing... and I'll guess bored as well. :)

Mary Aalgaard said...

Bored

SharleneT said...

Visiting from the A-Z Challenge. I'm going with bored, too.

Come visit when you can at:
http://www.mainstreamsolarcooking.com
http://rockingchairreflections.blogspot.com (A-Z)