Tuesday, April 5, 2011

'D' is For...??

Jessica Bell and I are A-Z Blogfest writing partners!  Today, we've chosen a word, a noun, that refers to a particular emotion / feeling / state of mind that starts with 'D'.  Based on my fictional paragraph(s) below, try to guess in the comments what emotion/etc. I've depicted.  Then, follow the link at the bottom to Jessica's post and read her take on our prompt word! (BTW, yesterday's word was 'Confidence'!)


Here's my 'D' entry:


Every sound soothed my frazzled soul:  the gentle swells lapping against the row boat as it slipped along the lake’s surface; the hollow clunk of the oar when my inexperienced movements banged it against the craft’s aluminum side; the loon’s haunting song.  I’d been in desperate need of this little excursion, to a place of childhood memories where I’d spent carefree summers before… well, before.

Another couple pulls of the oars and I steered the boat into what we kids had dubbed Beaver Bay.  The inlet of water protected a cove where the reeds grew tall and beaver houses dotted the surface.  I lifted the oars out of the water and twisted around to view the bay.  The smell hit me, fetid and rank.  My jaw dropped open.

Trash littered the shoreline.  A mound of tires, black and baking in the afternoon sun, rose to the right.  As the boat drifted closer, I looked over the edge.  I could just make out my reflection, eyebrows knit and lips pursed, despite the rainbow sheen coating the water’s surface.

The boat’s bottom scraped along the sandy bottom of the shore.  I stood to get a better view, but I wouldn’t get out.  Flies swarmed around a torn white plastic trash bag next to the boat.  I lifted an oar out of its pinning, staggering a bit under its unbalanced weight, and poked the bag.  The flies lifted for a moment, but settled greedily on their meal.  A soggy egg container fell apart, revealing a mass of wriggling, rice-like maggots.  I covered my mouth, gagging, as the oar clattered to the bottom of the boat.




Any guesses?  Leave me a comment telling me the emotion/feeling/state of mind you think I was describing.  And please shoot over to Jessica's blog (LINK HERE) to my partner's paragraph.  See you over there!


Thanks for reading!!  

                                    

29 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Oh yuk! I literally gagged at that last line! Nice entry! :o)

kjmckendry said...

I'm thinking "devastated". Great descriptions.

Linda G. said...

*gagging at that last image* Disgust?

Jaydee Morgan said...

I'm going to have to go with disgust as well.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Disguested!

Sylvia said...

Disgust was my suggestion too! :)

Matthew MacNish said...

I'm going with disgust. I'm probably not the first.

Tony Payne said...

I was going to say "Debris", but more appropriate might be "Despair". You painted a great mental picture.

Laura S. said...

Ugh! This made me feel disgusted so that's my guess!

Creepy Query Girl said...

ewe! Totally disgusted! lol

Marjorie said...

Disgusted! Boy that was quite the change around from the relaxing start.

Roxy said...

I want to go wash something now. I enjoyed the peaceful images at the beginning and then I was shocked when the bad stuff came along. Definitely disgusting pollution . . . Well written, Nicole!

Martha said...

I vote for disgust too! Maybe dissapointment as well.

Bonnie said...

I would say in the opening the character was looking forward to "decompress" and relax.

But as she found what she was looking for she was left with "disappointment" and "disgust".

Susan Oloier said...

Ultimately, disgust. Although you painted such a nice, contrasting picture to it in the opening paragraph. I guess that intensifies the disgust even more.

Candyland said...

I can't guess properly! They've said mine! Love the story, though:)

Melissa Gill said...

My first guess was disappointment, but all of these are good. And good imagery too.

Unknown said...

Great piece, very visual. I'm going to have to go with disgust on this one.

J. D. Brown said...

My guess is Disgusted? Or Disgusting?

DiscConnected said...

Up until the maggots, I was thinking despair, but maggots haveta equal disgust.

LC

Myne said...

I vote for Dismay.

Anonymous said...

Looks like I'm going with the majority - disgust.

Catch My Words said...

Looks like you have a messy D dump. The writing is beautiful. So many of us aspiring folks need to get recognized.

I'm now following you back. Thanks for the visit.

Joyce
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

Shannon Entin said...

This is great, Nicki! Glad I found your blog and writing. I saw on your reading list that you enjoyed Maze Runner. That's next on my list to read. I assume you've read the Hunger Games trilogy, but if not, definitely check it out!

Rebecca Dupree said...

Very nice discription...

Denise Covey said...

Disgust, despair, damnation, all would be apt. Great descriptions Nicole. I was there.

Thanks for travelling to Darfur with me.

Denise<3

L'Aussies Travel Blog A - Z Challenge - D is for Darfur

Cindy Carroll said...

I'm guessing it's disgust!

Jessica, congrats on coming to Canada to teach! Sorry to post here but I needed a Google ID to post a comment on your blog.

This is a great idea. I'll be back every day to see if I can guess that day's word!

Ann said...

I have that creeping skin feeling reading about the maggots. I still believe the "D" word to be disgust. And skin still creeping!

Sarah Mäkelä said...

I'm going to go with "disgust." =)