Wednesday, April 6, 2011

'E' is For...?

Thanks to everyone for commenting yesterday -- our prompt word of the day was 'Disgust'.  For those who are new to my blog today, Jessica Bell and I are A-Z Blogfest writing partners!  We've chosen a list of words, all nouns, that refer to particular emotions / feelings / states of mind.  Today, based on my fictional paragraph(s) below, try to guess in the comments what 'E' emotion/etc. I've depicted.  Then, follow the link at the bottom to Jessica's post and read her take on our prompt word! 


Here's my 'E' entry:



The upscale store teemed with Saturday afternoon shoppers, business-women in search of the perfect suit and ladies in need of a special occasion outfit.  Amanda had been assisting customers for hours and her feet were beginning to feel snug in her peek-a-boo pumps.  A stout woman approached her.  As she asked where she’d find the blouse dressed on the mannequin in the window, Amanda noted she wore no make-up to mask her motherly glow.

Leading the woman toward the rear of the shop, Amanda asked over her shoulder, “So, when is your baby due?”

The hesitation lasted one stride of Amanda’s pump, but it was enough to send her blood rushing to her cheeks.

“I am not pregnant.”

The urge to dive into a rack of dresses or lock herself in a dressing room had never been stronger.

~~~~

Any guesses?  And don't forget to visit Jessica's blog HERE.  See you there!


                                    

26 comments:

mooderino said...

Ah, very embarrassing. A bit like when you're addressed by someone with a lazy eye and you look over your shoulder to see who they're talking to.

-mood
Moody Writing

Eliza said...

Poor thing, how awful!

Jules said...

Definitely embarrassing or "Eck, foot not edible." :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

KM Nalle said...

How embarrassing. I actually had this happen to me. I was working at an amusement park as a group leader on a roller coaster that went upside down. Pregnant women were not allowed to ride. There was this woman. I swear she was pregnant. Ummm...not so much.

Jessica Bell said...

LOL! Oh no!!! :o)

Matthew MacNish said...

Wait. Did you guys do the same word on purpose? I wanted to say exhausted at first, but then you made it too clear.

Linda G. said...

Oh, definitely embarrassment.

Rule of thumb: it's best never comment on a woman's apparent pregnancy unless she mentions it first, or you see the baby popping out before your eyes. ;)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Embarrassed.... What else could it be?

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Very embarrassing, but a good lesson about thinking hard before commenting!

Monti
http://marymontaguesikes.blogspot.com/

kjmckendry said...

I'd say embarrassing. I've been tempted to do this myself... wondering whether someone was pregnant. But I waited and figured she would mention it. She did whew.. mystery solved.

Laura S. said...

Oooo, this happened to me a few months ago. I was wearing a baggy sweatshirt and some woman did a double-take and then said to me, "Oh my, at first I thought you were a pregnant teenager!" Aaaack. I just gave her a withering look and said nothing, lol.

My guess is embarrassment!

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Embarrassment! Who hasn't done something similar or been the lady with a glow?

MaryV

Marjorie said...

That's embarrassment if I ever saw it. Luckily I have never made that particular mistake.

Erin M. Hartshorn said...

Ouch, embarrassment for sure. And a situation many of us are afraid of ending up in (or is that just me?).

Erin's blog

Tiger85 said...

Embarrassment for sure. =)

Anonymous said...

Embarrassment, for sure!

DiscConnected said...

I always feel sheepish coming in with my answer so late, as all the early readers already guessed "embarassment."

I have seen men make that mistake, and felt horrible for the women.

I NEVER ask if a woman is pregnant until the baby shower.

Larry

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Easy one - embarrassment!

Cherie Reich said...

I'm guessing "embarrassed." I know I would be.

Martha said...

I'm thinking embarrassment!

E is for ENOUGH

Soooz Burke said...

Embarrassment! I have a friend who was asked this recently. She was in tears afterwards, and I felt so sorry for both her and the well meaning woman who said, "Not long to go now, dear."

I swore I would never ever assume anything after that.

nutschell said...

oh my gosh. This is kind of funny in a painful sort of way. How embarrassing for her!
by the way, i am loving this whole theme you gals have going.
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Theres just life said...

Embarrassment. I worked in a maternity store and can't tell you how many times I got that one wrong as well.

Pamela Jo
http://theresjustlifeyaliveit.blogspot.com

Belle Wong said...

Came over from Jessica's blog. This is such fun! Yes, I'd say embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

Love what you ladies are doing! I concur with "embarrassing"!

Tamara McRill said...

Oh, the embarrassment! I've had a couple friends who have done that or had it said to them. Golden rule: Never comment on a woman's pregnancy until she tells you she actually is!

Going to check out your partner's take now.