Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Passe-moi du pain, s'il te plait.

If Food is a religion in France, then Bread is a church.


Bread is the most consumed staple food in France.  It is present at every meal, and it takes your cultural and culinary experiences to new heights.


The most recognizable form of French bread is the baguette, which is long and narrow, between 2-3' in length and 3-5" in thickness.  Actual French law dictates that the baguette de tradition française should contain only combinations of wheat flour, water, yeast and common salt.




In addition to the baguette, you find a slimmer version called a ficelle (string), and a wider version called a flûte.  There are round loaves called boules (which is "ball" in French) and rugby ball shaped loaves called bâtard (literally "bastard").  The list goes on from there, to include bread in the form of a ring, braided breads, and various other artisan breads.  And of course, let's not forget the coissants.  Flaky, light, buttery...and my favorite kind: croissant d'amande.




Breakfast in France often consists of baguette from the night before, sliced lengthwise and spread with butter and jam.  The tartine is then dipped in a frothy bowl of café au lait or chocolat.  For most French people, dipping day-old bread in a hot beverage is the only acceptable way to eat it.  For lunch and dinner, however, fresh-baked bread is a must.




Every morning, French people visit (usually on foot) their neighborhood boulangerie.  Enough bread is purchased for the main meals of the day, and for breakfast the next morning.  Buying bread was one of my favorite daily adventures when I lived in France.  The boulanger knew all his customers by name.  Locals took their time, chatting with him and each other, with no sense of urgency to move on to the next task of the day.  I felt embraced by the French on those outings!


In the United States, we serve our bread with butter.  Not so in France.  Instead of an accompaniment, bread is used as an utensil.  You tear a piece of your morsel and hold it in your free hand, using it to push food onto the prongs of your fork and sop up the silky sauces.  And you may not see this in restaurants, but at my in-laws' house you can tell when everyone is finished eating:  every plate has been wiped clean, every drop of sauce consumed along with the bread.



Throughout the day, people stop into the boulangerie for a cup of coffee and a light snack.



Many boulangeries are also patisseries -- where French pastries are sold.





My absolute favorites are the tartes de flan.  To die for!



And, 'cause I mentioned them earlier: Coissant d'amande -- YUM!


[For more of these amazing photos: Source and Source]


Leave me a comment and earn one entry in my Vive la France! Contest.










34 comments:

Emily White said...

Mmmmm...I must never visit your blog before breakfast again! Cold cereal will simply no longer satisfy.

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

OMG, this is mouthwatering! I looove bread and all of those pastries look delicious. yeah, I agree with Emily. I had a breakfast bar/cereal bar thingy on the way in to work this morning. Definitely not sufficient!

sarahjayne smythe said...

What a gorgeous post. I love bread and think the French way of eating it for breakfast beats just about anything here. :)

Jai Joshi said...

I LOVE French bread. You got me salivating!

Jai

Liza said...

I so want to walk to the shop and buy my fresh bread each day, and use it to sop up my delicious meals. This was a lovely post, and puts the corner of a brownie I just snitched to have with my breakfast coffee to shame.

Liza said...

I so want to walk to the shop and buy my fresh bread each day, and use it to sop up my delicious meals. This was a lovely post, and puts the corner of a brownie I just snitched to have with my breakfast coffee to shame.

DL Hammons said...

I think I just gained a couple pounds by just reading that post!

:)

Aubrie said...

Yummy bread! It goes right to my middle section and stays there...

Vicki Rocho said...

Bread and cheese. I could live (and die happy) in France!

Cherie Reich said...

Mmmm...bread. Je l'adore!

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss nicole! i couldnt believe those french people made a law for what goes in bread. im learning lots from you being in france. on this one you got me soooo hungry but theres nothin in our house that looks so good as in those cool pictures. we got some old bread we were gonna give to the birds. im gonna make some hot chocolate and dip some of that bread in it and pretend im right there with you in france.
...hugs from lenny

Summer Frey said...

I was in this play my freshman year of college called The Baker's Wife. It was set in France, and the main character (played by my brother) was a boulangerie. One of our opening numbers was called "Bread." Mmm...

This post is awesome. I could stare at the picture of all the loaves for hours...

Sarah Ahiers said...

did you eat a pain au chocolate? or a croque monsieur?

oooooh i hope so...

Matthew MacNish said...

So many things are better in Europe, especially France! You should talk about French "socialized" Health Care tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

J'adore les baguettes! At les croissants aussi! When my wife and I were in Switzerland on an anniversary trip, every morning was croissants and butter. SO GOOD!

MTeacress said...

I am really loving these pics. Great posts! Now I want to go to France even more. You lucky lady!

Jessica Bell said...

Ha! I think that using bread as a utensil must be quite a common European thing. It is done here in Greece too, as is eating it with every meal. Such an easy way to put on weight, and boy DO we.

That's one thing that has puzzled me for a while. Why aren't the French fat? They consume mountains of bread, dairy and sweets, it's mind boggling!

Unknown said...

Nicole you sure know how to make a girl hungry!!!! I am loving all the photos, I know I can't visit right now but you are at least leaving great photos for the imagination!

Laura S. said...

I'm showing my husband this post when he gets home from work. He LOVES bread! At family dinners we all know not to put the bread basket in front of him because he will eat it all, lol.

Love the photos. The boulangerie looks heavenly!

Laurel Garver said...

My hubby must be secretly French, because he is insanely passionate about bread.

While vacationing in Cape Breton, Canada last summer, we had some of the most heavenly bread from an Acadian bakery (French-Canadian). We're still trying to find someplace in Philly that carries the right kind of bread flour to make French-quality bread.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me that I still need to eat breakfast...

There's nothing I like more than a nice baguette with spaghetti. :)

Lisa_Gibson said...

Okay, that is just not fair! After looking at all the lovely pastries, I'm dying here. The bread is making my mouth water too though. Wish I was there. ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great photos! I do love bread...

Anonymous said...

I love bread -- all kinds of them. I'd love to visit France just for the bread alone. (And these all look AMAZING.)

Lola Sharp said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE BREAD!

i really love bread.

Mmmm....bread.

Wendy Ramer, Author said...

Dieu, Europe me manque!

Samantha Bennett said...

I love the idea of buying bread everyday for the next few meals. Sounds so fresh! Way to go, France. Like your style. :)

mi said...

you have made me son hungry!

and so nostalgic for french bakeries!

Sophia said...

I just got an email back about renting a studio in Paris for two weeks and reading this post while having watermelon for breakfast instead of my usual croissant and coffee has not helped make the decision any easier! Or maybe it has and that's the problem?
- Sophia.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

I'm in love. Seriously. I went to eat your pictures. Glorious. I'm so incredibly green with envy. Bread is like my single most favorite food. Well, and pastries. Pretty much anything you can find in a bakery. And cheese. Cheese too. Can I come to France with you? Let's have wine and cheese and bread.

Pat Tillett said...

I WAS going to have only fruit and vegtables today. I'm going to bakery, right now!

Hannah said...

I am never going to France. It's decided. There's not enough space in the world for all the carry on fat I'd have to bring back. Pastry is my downfall. *shaking head sadly*

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

Honest to goodness I may pass out from the sheer flavors my imagination is creating...my mouth is watering and my eyes are bulging! I want some fresh bread - NOW! lol

Wonderful post!

Visit My Kingdom Anytime

Deniz Bevan said...

Bread bread bread bread bread...
My favourite! I could eat yummy real bread all day.
And how dare you put up a photo of the croissant d'amande? The last time I was in France I had those for breakfast every day and I'm still hankering after that flavour... just can't find it anywhere else!