Monday, June 28, 2010

Potty Talk


When Culture Shock and Toilets Go Hand-in-Hand...

When I was a little girl, I cried if I had to go number two in a public restroom.  My mother would say, "Everybody has to 'go'; it's perfectly natural.  Even the pope poops."  I never found that comforting.  I'd end up holding it, preferring the comfort and privacy of home, a sentiment that stayed with me until I became a world traveler.  Since we all have to "go" (even the pope) every day, my earliest culture shock was faced in foreign bathrooms.

By the time I experienced French toilets, I'd been baptized by fire in Central Africa.  Nothing shocked me anymore about bathroom amenities.  I'd learned to do my business wherever I was directed, in whatever deplorable conditions I found when I got there.  You see for two years, I lived in a mud brick house with no running water.  And I used a pit latrine:

   
This is not my latrine -- in fact, this one is nicer than mine was!  Thank you to Peace Corps/Gambia volunteer Ian Haight for this picture.

Basically, you uncover the hole cut out of the cement floor, straddle it and squat, hoping everything lands in the three-meter (nine-feet) deep pit below.

Suffice it to say, I developed strong thigh muscles in the course of two years.  Unfortunately, my physical strength was superior to my language skills, and when I did arrive in France,  the first thing I learned was an important lesson in French vocabulary.

When you use your handy English/French dictionary to translate "Where is the bathroom?" literally into French, it becomes, "Où est la salle de bain?"  If you ask this in a French person's home, she will look perplexed but point the way.  You will find yourself in a small tiled room with a bathtub, possibly a shower, and a sink.  But no potty.

The correct way to ask for the bathroom in French is, "Où sont les toilettes?"  Or, "Où est le W.C.?"  The French think it's dirty to have a toilet in the same room where they bathe.  Makes sense...I guess.

Most modern French homes have what we'd consider "normal" toilets, as in the sort you sit upon and flush with the pull of a lever.  However, public toilets are another story.

Many restaurants, museums, and tourist sites, specifically in older buildings (which covers well over half the buildings in modern France), have Turkish toilets.  The first time an American lays eyes on one of these toilets, they generally loose the urge to "go."  After pit latrines in Africa, however, they seemed like modern conveniences to me:

Photo Source

The most important thing to remember about these toilets is to step back when you flush.  The mechanism is not visible in this photo, but connected to the pipe at the back of the toilet is an overhead tank.  You pull the cord to flush, sending water down the pipe and out the plastic flap at its base.  Often, the water pressure is surprisingly high, as is the risk of your legs and feet being splashed with diluted pee-pee.

Many large cities such as Paris and Marseilles have public toilets on their sidewalks.  Unlike American Port-a-Potties or Johnny-on-the-Spots, these free-standing stalls are self-contained bathrooms, complete with flush toilet and sink.

Photo Source
Photo Source

The cost to enter these public toilets is minimum, although I don't know exactly how much.  Four years ago, payment was under one euro.

The nice thing about these toilets is once you exit and the door clicks shut, it automatically self-sanitizes the interior.  The process takes a minute or two, so there is a wait if you're next in line.  But the inside will be clean-smelling and sanitized, albeit a bit wet.

Unfortunately, public restrooms are not plentiful on a grand scale.  When outside the big cities or driving the highways, the only way to get some relief is usually hauling up your skirt behind a bush on the side of the road.  Don't worry, it's a normal occurrence in France.  Even the pope does it when he's there...


Je vous souhaite une bonne journée! 


Leave me a comment and earn one entry in my Vive la France! Contest.
Click here for full contest details.



32 comments:

Emily White said...

I've had my fair share of experience with foreign potties. And in the military, I was often faced with the need to dig my own potty. It's made me a tad more appreciative of american restrooms (especially the air conditioned ones).

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I am now grateful for my bathroom - thanks!

Unknown said...

I understand why they would not want the toilet in the place where they bathe but as an american we know nothing else so I guess it isn't a big deal.

I'm really loving my toilet after the first half but I am loving the idea of a fully functional bathroom out on the streets of Paris, to pay a small fee to have it fully sanitized and fully functional, that's all awesome wrapped in one!

Jai Joshi said...

Been there, done that.

French public toilets are much like Indian toilets. I did the pit thing in Tibet and will not be too eager to experience it again.

Jai

Matthew MacNish said...

Crazy. They have those public restrooms that self-sanitize like that in Seattle too. Strange but pretty cool.

I've never used a pit latrine before but have lived in the wilderness for extended periods and had to dig a cat hole. Wiping with leaves is certainly its own art form.

Jaydee Morgan said...

I definitely appreciate the comfort of my own bathroom right now. In fact, little things like this just adds to the reason I'm not a big traveler. I'm either a homebody or just prefer the comforts of home.

Jessica Bell said...

haha! I once got stuck in one of those street toilets. I was a kid, I think about 11, and it wouldn't open the door to let me out until I washed my hands! hehehe

Laurel Garver said...

Aparently Japan is the ULTIMATE locale for pristine pottying. Their public restrooms are often squat-style, but in private homes, many folks have these fancy "Washlet" toilets with heated seats and a built-in bidet-type wash settings with temperature controls!

Summer Frey said...

I have enough of an issue with American public bathrooms. I don't know if I could handle all these intricacies! But I do like the idea of the French porta-potty. Sanitized and CLEAn-SMELLING? Get out.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Wow! That's all new to me, and it's fascinating.

Hope you're having a wonderful time!

Cherie Reich said...

I like the idea of self-sanitize toilets, but I could see if it is your first time in some places where you just wouldn't want to go anymore. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I recall one time in Switzerland--yes, Switzerland--I had to use a public restroom that was broken, and had an inch of water on the floor. Er... this was not the day to wear birkenstocks, is all I'm sayin'. *shudders* For all that the Swiss are legendarily clean and orderly, that was a pretty strong counterexample.

Anyhow, I've used those holes in the ground too, when doing missions work in Mexico. The thigh muscles do get a workout, but, being a guy and all, some things are easier for me....

Thanks for the, uh, illumating post, m'dear. Et une bonne journee a vous aussi, bonne dame! (Yeah, yeah, I can't be bothered looking up the HTML for the accents. Sue me.) :)

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss nicole! wow pottying could be a real adventure for sure. ha ha. my brother said it was mostly the same hole thingys when he lived in more way out places in malaysia and thailand and lots of other places in asia. we were in france two times so i know about the hole in the floor stuff.

Sarah Callejo said...

This is such a surprising and funny post!! I hope you find clean toilettes in France.

Sarah Ahiers said...

i remember when i went to italy it was almost impossible to find a public restroom. If you did, it was also like the one in your pic, except more troughlike.
FUN!

Kelly Polark said...

That's quite a lesson in toilets!
I've never been out of North America, so it is an eye opener!
Love the first sign!

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

for some reason I could not stop grinning while I read this one... what an adventure!

Love it!

Visit My Kingdom Anytime

Riv Re said...

You're ery talented; you somehow manage to write an entire post on TOILETS.
I like that icon.
And the French are soooo right about having a separate W.C.

Southpaw said...

A world toilet post, a very entertaining lesson.

Deniz Bevan said...

Ugh, holes in the floor! I try my darndest to avoid those - one time in the middle of nowhere in Turkey, they had a hole and a normal toilet in the women's WC, and all the women in the place were lined up before the toilet - no one wanted to use the hole!

Anonymous said...

Street toilets... interesting...

Funny post!

Anonymous said...

I really miss my own bathroom whenever I travel. However, growing up in Vietnam, I'm used to both pit latrines and Turkish toilets. I'm still queasy if I have "to go" when I'm not at home. :)

The public toilets in the pics seem like a great idea.

Jemi Fraser said...

I haven't traveled anywhere without 'normal' toilets yet. Thanks for the info so I'll be prepared when I do!! :)

Lola Sharp said...

I didn't see this post coming!

Yeah, I've learned to hold it a long time in some countries. I refuse to do the hole in the ground thing. Even in a nice restaurant in Brazil they had the hole! Um, no. I waited until we got back to our nice hotel.

Fun post!

Love,
Lola

Laura S. said...

Whoa. I've always wanted to visit Europe, but I never considered the whole potty thing. I don't like those Turkish toilets. You don't know who sat there before you and there's no way you can "hover." Yikes!

I avoid Porta-Potties and just wait. I wish the U.S. had those sidewalk restrooms that sanitize themselves! So cool!

Wendy Ramer, Author said...

Okay, so I have to tell you how difficult it is to use one of those things in Spain, where they don't look so nice. And imagine doing it in a full-length dress with a very full skirt. And you're holding the dress up as you squat and try not to pee yourself. And you're drunk.

With that image, you are more or less experiencing a public potty in the April Fair in Seville.

Vicki Rocho said...

Man, I'm spoiled!

Cindy R. Wilson said...

We had to pay to use the public toilets in France when I went about ten years ago and it surprised me. Those, however, were preferable to those I'm bound to experience soon. I'm going to a small village in Uganda this summer so the picture you had above is probably close to what I'll be experiencing. Interesting!

DL Hammons said...

I guess I'm a fan of potty humor?!?

:)

Wild Rose said...

Having lived in Africa, i totally understand the whole culture shock and the location of the latrines very important as is the self sanitizing considering the crowds of people that use them. And when you've got to go then heck you've got to go..on the side of the road, behind some bush.. whatever works. Done it a couple of times when in Africa. Cute blog by the way Nicole :)

sarahjayne smythe said...

Wow. Culture shock indeed. I've seen the public bathrooms on the street before, but the Turkish ones are really interesting.

Pat Tillett said...

A very interesting "tour."
I've never been to Europe but I have been to the east. The traditional "slit" toilets even in Japan are pretty much of a shock to most westerners. Of course for every one of those you run into, you find a totally awesome automated one...