Friday, July 2, 2010

Where's the Beef--er, I mean, Chicken?




Culture shock rushes at you from unexpected angles when you live in a foreign country.  You may think living in France, for example, would be challenging due to the language barrier or the fact that people sit at the lunch table for two hours.  But one of the greatest differences between American life and French life I had to adjust to was the hours of operation of the grocery stores.

In the States, most larger towns have at least one twenty-four-hour-a-day grocery store.  If not, the local grocery store will most likely open before dawn's first light and close well after eleven in the evening.  Have a hankering for Ben and Jerry's before bedtime?  Don't worry, American grocery stores are happy to accommodate.

In France, however, grocery stores close at 8 p.m, Monday through Saturday.  And they remain closed all day Sunday.  If you are unaccustomed to this schedule or plan poorly, you may find yourself eating whatever you have in a can at the back of the cupboard, or dry cereal, until Monday morning.

One Saturday back in 1997 when two of my sisters were visiting me in Auch, we took a bus and spent the day sightseeing in Toulouse.  The last bus back would have us arriving at 8:30 in the evening, and I realized we'd need to hit the grocery store in Toulouse before boarding.

We rushed through a small store near the terminal, grabbing the ingredients for Poulet á la Crème.  With just minutes to spare, we clambered onto the bus with bulging bags of mushrooms, fresh thyme, crème fraiche, baguettes, and (I kid you not) a whole, raw chicken.

The forty-five minute ride home was jovial, and as luck would have it, the three of us were the last of the passengers to disembark in Auch.  Weary from a day in the sun and lots of unbridled laughter, we trudged down the last cobblestoned road to my apartment.

I pulled pots and pans from the cupboard as my sisters unloaded the bags.  

Natasha said, "Nick, where's the chicken?"

"Natalie has it," I answered, blowing a wisp of hair out of my eyes.

We both looked over at Natalie, whose eyebrows arched slightly higher than normal.  "Um, I thought one of you had it."

Apparently, we'd all made it off the bus except the chicken.  Hopefully, the bus driver found it before his next morning run.

My sisters didn't understand my dismay, until they brightly suggested we could just order take out.

"This is France," I groaned.  "The gastronomical epicenter of the world.  There is no take out."  I anticipated the next question and said, "No, not even pizza."

It was their last night in France, before taking the train to Paris the next morning to catch a flight out.  And we ate cold cereal and milk.  But I lit candles.  And it was France, for pete's sake!

Nicole, Natasha, and Natalie (1997)

Bonne Journée!


Leave me a comment and earn one entry in my Vive la France! Contest.
Click here for full contest details.

  

30 comments:

Ellen Brickley said...

I love the forgotten chicken :D

These things can be very strange to adjust to - I met a girl at a party once who had gone to Bratislava for a weekend, arriving Friday night and leaving Sunday night. However, she and her partner hadn't realised that Bratislava shuts down at lunchtime on Saturday and reopens on Monday morning. So they sat in their hotel a lot. She didn't tell me what they ate :)

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

Oh no! LOL! I don't know if I could survive THAT part!

Unknown said...

Holy Moly that is so funny!!!! Hey nothing like living in the moment, at least you had a wonderful story to tell, and I'm with you, hopefully the bus driver found the chicken!

Oh my gosh Ellen that is insane! You never think about how accomadating our country is. I think I have a newfound apprecaition for america!

Vicki Rocho said...

That's so funny! I would love to see the driver's face when he finds a chicken on the bus!

When we first moved to Iowa, the biggest adjustment from Vegas was going from a 24 hour town to one where things CLOSED...sometimes all day on Sunday. We felt like hostages the first couple months.

Wendy Ramer, Author said...

Oh, yes. I remember not adjusting well to the change in business hours. In Italy (or at least in Bologna), all businesses close Sunday, of course, and also Thursday afternoon! They do that so they can stay open all day Saturday, a big shopping day. I NEVER got accustomed to the Thursday schedule and often found myself S.O.L. that evening.

Cherie Reich said...

As a vegetarian, I would have been happier with the cold cereal than the chicken, but it's still sad to leave an item behind.

Summer Frey said...

Oh man, that would happen to me.

I'd hate dealing with the grocery store thing; even though I only go once every two weeks or so, I still like to bitch about not being able to buy beer on Sundays. :-)

Sarah Ahiers said...

it's nine in the morning and now i really really want Poulet á la Crème

Anonymous said...

But the cafes are open late, right? Sometimes I just want a clean, well-lighted place to have a glass of wine (or vodka). Je peux trouver cela en France, oui?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hopefully someone got to enjoy the chicken!

Laurel Garver said...

I can just smell that rotting poultry now--EW! Ha!

Wow, not even pizza. For quality, one must sacrifice convienience, right?

Love the photo. You and your sisters look like awesomely fun folks to travel with.

Liza said...

Wonderful story! Imagine living where the alternative include good food, or nothing. This is why the French live longer, right?

Matthew MacNish said...

What a fun story! I think you rounded it out nicely with the candles.

Pat Tillett said...

That's amazing! I wonder what's behind that tradition?
A great and funny post...

G.~ said...

I lived in a town like that once and although I could have driven a mere thirty miles to an open store, it was a bit of a pain at first.

I adjusted quickly and it was actually quite nice to plan ahead and know that people were home with their families having a good time instead of working at a store to cater to my spoiled ass.

I'd love to live in Italy or France. Someday...

Anonymous said...

How funny! I did not know French grocery stores closed at 8PM, and remained closed all day Sunday. Interesting...

Laura S. said...

I love cold cereal and milk, lol! I'd love it even more if I were eating it in France!

I didn't know that about French grocery stores. Honestly, I wish America wasn't so obsessed with staying open all hours of the day and night. We could all spend a lot more time with the people who are important to us eating cereal if that's all there is. :)

Lola Sharp said...

Cereal by candlelight is tres chic, no?

(Y'all are cute in the picture.)

I'm still on vacation....and we have no internet right now (Maine is sketchy with the net and cell phone service, I've learned)...I'm telling you, I should get extra points for all this extra effort! ;)

Love,
Lola

Jemi Fraser said...

That would take some adjusting! Especially no pizza - teenagers must have a difficult time :)

clutterbug said...

My sister and her new hubby are in Paris RIGHT NOW for their honeymoon. The no shopping on Sunday will kill her!! I wonder if she knows ???

Jessica Bell said...

Haha! Great Story! When I was 12 my parents and I had a a similar experience in Genova, Italy. Except the difference was, we also got caught in monsoon rains! LOL I'll never forget that day ...

Roland D. Yeomans said...

No 24 hour groceries? Hmph! And the French call us barbarians!

Hope you have a wonderful time. Take a moment to pause and just look around, tucking away a sight for your mental scrapbook. Roland

Jai Joshi said...

Oh I hate it when I forget things on the bus.

That must have been so funny though. I hope your sisters enjoyed their trip to France!

Jai

DL Hammons said...

No Fast Food?!?! *Scratching country off list to visit*

:)

Missed Periods said...

Cold cereal in France still sounds tres romantic.

Hannah said...

I not only live but I eat off the seat of my pants...wait, that came out wrong.

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't get food whenever I wanted. I'm spoiled. :)

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss nicole! im laughing about the chicken left on the bus. ha ha. maybe the bus driver got a nice meal out of it. guess living in the states has got us real spoiled for going to the store any time we want.

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

This story is ever so precious! What a fun, fun adventure..even if the chicken missed the ending!

Love the pic

Visit My Kingdom Anytime

Deniz Bevan said...

What a great story!
I think I'd put up with those crazy grocery store hours given the quality of the food that's available when they are actually open - especially the bakeries... Mmm... stockpile of breads...

sarahjayne smythe said...

Poor chicken. Stuck on the bus. :) I think I would die without take out, especially pizza.