Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Just Do It!

hang on Pictures, Images and Photos


So, yesterday was a pretty crappy day.  A few loose ends had become frayed from neglect and required my full attention.  Spinning them back into resolvable strands I could tie up took all morning and most of the afternoon, leaving me exhausted and depressed.  But every terrible experience has its lessons to teach, so here's what was reinforced in my mind yesterday:

Photobucket Don't put off unpleasant tasks.  Deal with them.  Or they'll seem worse over time and you'll begin to loose sleep.

Photobucket Schedule time each week to deal with crap you hate to deal with.  I'm supposed to take care of unpleasant tasks on Friday mornings -- but it's been weeks since the last time I did.  Staying on top of matters, and out in front of potential problems, will make your life happier.

Photobucket Organization is key.  Don't put an important piece of paper on the corner of your desk because you're "sure you'll remember that's where you put it."  At the very least, keep a file folder for papers that need dealing with.  Name it something like "Friday Folder" (or whatever day of the week you deem 'Unpleasant Task Day'), or "Deal With Me, Dammit!" and keep it in a prominent or visible place on your desk.

Photobucket And the most important thing I remembered?  I'm human.  I make mistakes.  I get lazy, choosing to do the stuff I like to do over shouldering my responsibilities.  And it's okay.  I made a couple nice messes with that behavior, but I worked it all out.  I'm still healthy and alive.  The world is still spinning.  (And no, I am NOT responsible for that massive snow and ice storm some of you are dealing with today.)

Photobucket  But I can do better.  And I will.  Promise.



Do you have anything hanging over your head you should have dealt with like, um, last week?  Why not take care of it today.  You'll feel better, and you may even sleep better tonight!



                                    

30 comments:

Will Burke said...

I've meant for today to be my npleasant Task Day, so after one more coffee...

Ayuni said...

hm, i have a lot!

Christine Fonseca said...

Love the idea of unpleasant task day...may have to incorporate that...

Mara McBain said...

I'm glad it worked out, Nicki, and as mean as it is to say ... glad i'm not alone is putting crap off! LOL

Ellen Brickley said...

I have had a week of nothing but Unpleasant Task Day from start to finish and it shows no signs of calming down for a while - when it does I will follow your good example and try not to hide under the bed for a month :)

BK Mattingly said...

I could definitely use a better night's sleep :) *Searches around desk for the FML Folder*

Tracy said...

Oh gosh, I do this to myself all the time. I le the stuff I don't want to do build up until it festers like an infected wound.

Okay, maybe I'm not quite THAT bad, but I'm a procrastinator of the unpleasant.

Candyland said...

Yes. My revisions:/

Carolyn V. said...

Excellent advice! (I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes though this!) Over my head this week...There is just too much to mention.) ;p

Lindsay said...

i like the idea of a task day. Mine is sending some queries. Maybe I'll just hit send. :)

Amanda Bonilla said...

I can totally relate. I'm trying to be more of a "scheduler" because my lack of organization has cost me precious writing time. This was a great post!

Misha Gerrick said...

Although I don't have something like that at this time, I do know what you mean.

And yes, doing something as soon ass possible is best.

:-)

Margo Benson said...

I'm awfully good at tidying important things into piles so they look organised - then forgetting about them! Great post.

Jessica Bell said...

Oh wow, I sure do! But I'm lazy. LAZY LAZY LAZY. Well, no I'm not, but I prefer doing things that I care about. :o) I should take your advice and schedule 'a day'. I'm glad you got yourself sorted, whatever it was. Care to dish over email?

Sarah Ahiers said...

that's so true about unpleasant tasks. It's better just to do it and be done with it

Anonymous said...

Great tips. Guess I better finish up my blog reading so I can get to work on the things I keep putting off!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nothing is hanging over me that I hate, but there's always something crappy waiting in the wings. And don't worry - no snow here!

Pat Tillett said...

I seem to work better under pressure, so I may undermine my self in this area...
Even as I type this, I have a ton of stuff to do!

LTM said...

no, but a buncha stuff coming. Bleah. Good luck w/everything, Nicole~ :o)

Carolyn Abiad said...

Mmm...took care of my mess on Monday. And hey...I might be in ATL on the 10th...not sure yet though.

Erin MacPherson said...

Good reminder. The bad news? I have like 10 things that should've been taken care of like 10 weeks ago. *sigh*. Maybe I'll tackle one tonight.

Jules said...

Great ideas and I have created another folder, I call it "Unexpected." :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Melissa Gill said...

Story of my life. I've got to get a ton of unpleasant stuff done. I like the idea of setting aside a time to deal with the junk.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm so going to make a Deal with Me Dammit folder - that's an awesome idea!!!

Tracy said...

The only unpleasant things I tend to avoid are things like gyno. appt., mammorgrams, the dentist, that kind of stuff. THose I put off until I just can't do it any long...oh yes, and buying bras!

Missed Periods said...

I have those days where I am in the right state of mind to deal with the errands and tasks I hate to do and I think,"Hey, that wasn't so bad." But then I start the procrastination all over again.

J.L. Campbell said...

I'm the queen of putting off unpleasant tasks and losing important snippets of information. It's ironic, but the things I put off usually are not so hard to deal with when I'm eventually forced to get around to them.

Here's hoping you stay on top of your stuff!

DL Hammons said...

I am really really bad about this. I tell myself that I need to be in a certain mind-set to deal with things like that...but the problem is I rarely adopt that mind-set. *sigh*

:)

erica and christy said...

I don't know what your unpleasant task is, but mine seems insurmountable at the moment. I think I need a few chunks of time to deal with a few chunks of "it" and all will eventually be well.

Then, yes, sleep. Thanks for the reminder (and kick in the pants!).
erica

Lydia Kang said...

My to-do list never ends, so to answer your question...yes! I have stuff I still have to do!