Thursday, February 3, 2011

High on Plot Pot (*waves to Jessica*)

One drop at a time, I'm filling the 'plot pot' for my revitalized WiP.  Formerly known as Overcome, the story has changed on many levels.  It feels like a brand new project.  The inciting incident and the character who instigates it are virtually all that remain of the original storyline.  And that character, once the antagonist, is now the story's hero.

The new working title is Safe in Captivity, which hints at a major theme that will weave throughout the story.  I'm very excited about it, because the theme manifests itself both as physical and psychological elements that will play parts in every major character's motivations and inner conflicts.

I have twenty-five  scenes sketched so far that take me from the opening, across major turning points, to the ending.  As I ponder individual scenes, connecting points blossom in my head.  It's amazing how the process allows you to capture details, shows you more about the characters, more about the settings, more about the story.  My notebook is filling up.

Today, I'm working on a loose timeline, to organize the scenes in chronological order.  I have some online research to do, too.

Amazon Info HERE
Nothing happens by chance. I happen to be reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, and I'm completely inspired by it.  The organizational decisions Flynn makes to tell Libby Day's story are brilliant.  Her scene choices cut right the heart of the story, and her ability to weave exposition into a moment so that the pace actually increases has been, for me, an education in itself.  And the descriptive quality of her voice?  Nothing short of brilliant.  I'm still 50 pages from the end, and already I give it a five-star rating.

I'm not going to make the same mistakes with Safe in Captivity that I did with Overcome.  This plotting stage will be brief.  And while the energy is high, I'm going to write the draft.  Straight through, resisting the temptations to revise or backtrack.  I'll add notes to myself as I go, when I realize something from an earlier chapter needs an addition or subtraction.  My minimum goal is 8,000 to 10,000 words a month.  Feel free to hold me accountable :D


And don't forget to sign up for the February 16 Bernard Pivot Blogfest!
It's going to be quick to post and easy to read everyone else's posts, so join in the fun!



Have a fantastic day,
                                    

25 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Good on you! You know I'll be here when you need me :o) *claps* Yay!!!

BK Mattingly said...

Go for it! It sounds so exciting :)

Lola Sharp said...

I'm a huge fan of Gillian Flynn. She's a great talent.
(though the texture of that cover to that book is weird, isn't it?)

Have a wonderful, writerly weekend, Nic!
Love,
Lola

Ayuni said...

can i join in the blogfest? i'm from Malaysia..

Jessica Ann Hill said...

How exciting! Good luck Nicole! :)

Kelly Lyman said...

This sounds great! Good for you to going back and rewriting. I have do the same thing on a story of mine, but I want to finish a draft I'm working on first. The timeline of events is one of the biggest issues I'm having with it. Good luck!

Cherie Reich said...

I think it's great that you're going to do rewrites and write the draft without going back. Revisions and edits can always come later, but it's important to get the story out first. :) Good luck!

Mara McBain said...

Your focus and organization are both humbling and inspiring! I wish I were so organized, having everything laid out so professionally!

LTM said...

Awesome, Nic, and best of luck with your writing. I already love the title. And that Dark Passage sounds interesting, too~ :o) <3

Carolyn V. said...

Ohhh, sounds great! Good luck Nicole!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

So hard to resist that temptation to turn back and fix things as you go. I'm struggling with that now. But really, it's the only way to just get finished already! Good luck to you in your revision!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've learned to just plow through the first draft as well. And I bet you write more than 10,000 a month!

Creepy Query Girl said...

sounds like an awesome tactic! I prefer using scene sketch outline too. Helps tons!

Hannah said...

My first draft is all mixed around. I'm hoping that my CPs will help with my timeline management. I knew it was going to be a challenge when I started. Le sigh. I'm making it the fun part!

Golden Eagle said...

It sounds great! Good luck with your writing. :)

Anonymous said...

I've written down Dark Places to read--and yours when it's done! Actually, it sounds like you have a great "method" for working through it.

Yes, do the outlining but then the best thing to do is get that first draft on paper without worrying about all the things that are "wrong." Good luck!!
Ann Best, Author

Roxy said...

Ah, plot. Therein lies the rub. Plotting is the hardest thing for me. I can do dialogue, character development, etc, but it's the bones of the story that cause me grief. Oh well, I have time and the motivation to learn this elusive skill. Thanks for the great post, Nicole!

Myne said...

That sounds so exciting, and I'm happy for you. Keep up the energy!

Shelley Sly said...

How awesome that you're redoing your WIP and making it into a new story! I especially find it interesting how your antagonist became the hero! Best of luck with your writing and hope you have lots of fun with it! :)

erica and christy said...

It's so hard for me to switch from editing to writing mode. I need to just plow through!!

(and christy hasn't been around the blogs lately because she's busy rewriting her novel formerly known as Solstice. she feels your pain, er, joy!)
erica

Talli Roland said...

I love the notion of a 'plot pot', It's exciting to watch it fill up, isn't it?

Have a great weekend! And if I haven't signed up for the blogfest yet, I'm going to!

Carolyn Abiad said...

I'll have to add that one to my list! Good luck with the draft. :)

Amanda Bonilla said...

Great post! I struggle with revising as I write. I know it's better to just spit that first draft out, but it's SO hard! ;)

DL Hammons said...

Tee hee! (Inside joke) :)

It sounds like your rolling right along now!

Luna said...

This is so exciting, Nicole! Good luck to you and have fun running with your new ideas. *Happy Dance*