Wednesday, November 3, 2010

All Aboard! (*cue maniacal laughter and intro music*)


November is here, and even though I'm not a ticketed passenger aboard the NaNo Crazy Train, I am inspired to set challenging goals for myself.  I have Stephen King to thank, as absurd as that sounds.  His book On Writing has lit a bonfire under my writer's ass.  (Seriously, if you haven't read that book, you're missing out.  Here's the Amazon link: To The Best Writing Book on the Craft...EVAH.)

King isn't the only successful writer to advocate a daily writing schedule, and I adopted the practice over a year ago.  My problem has been considering blog post writing part of that goal.  Some days, if I'm being completely honest, the only writing I accomplish is on my blog.  That will change this month.

Starting this past Monday, I no longer consider writing on my blog part of my daily writing practice.  Per Mr. King's advice, I pledge to write between 1000 and 2000 words a day OF MY MANUSCRIPT.  In On Writing, King talks about two catagories of daily writing: "With the Door Closed" and "With the Door Open."

In November, I'll be writing with the door closed.

What he refers to by "writing with the door closed" is how (he suggests) a writer should pen the first draft.  The door to your writing space is closed; the phone is unplugged/off; the Internet is closed -- no Blogger/Twitter/FaceBook/email/Writing.com.  No matter what, you sit down to write and you don't stop before you've met your word count goal.

Now, some may not agree with this method.  We all work differently, and there's no right or wrong way to approach your craft.  But my goal for the month of November is to re-establish productive daily writing habits, and I'm riding my tidal wave of On Writing inspiration.  So far, I've had success.  On Monday I wrote 1467 words, and yesterday I wrote 2150.  Today, I'm shooting for 2000.

Incidentally, "writing with the door open" refers to the revision/edit phase of a MS when, according to Stephen King, it's time to show some of your work to a small group of beta readers.  I part company with King's philosophy on this point.  (He's probably right, mind you.  But I have my reasons...)  I plan to continue sharing my rough, first draft work with Jessica, my awesome critique partner.  At least for this, my first novel, I appreciate the feedback she gives me and the "deadlines" we stick to in exchanging our work.  That, too, is keeping me on track.

I still plan to write occasional blog posts, but I won't be sticking to my regular MWF schedule.  I probably won't be able to comment on your posts as often, either.  I think November is the best month to relax the blog schedule, since so many of you purchased your NaNo tickets this year.  I think we'll all be ready to meet back here in December, right?

So, happy writing to all of you.  Best of luck meeting your daily work count goals, and remember to schedule in and enjoy your downtime with family and friends.  Drink water throughout the day, especially if you're like me and slug down more than your daily recommended dose of caffeinated coffee.  And write, write, write!!






26 comments:

Summer Frey said...

I think that's a great goal. Hopefully between the On Writing high and all the pep for Nano, you'll sail right through. :)

Kristal Shaff said...

Awesome goal!

I've done a little hand writing, and it does work wonders. Might have to do some more of that soon.

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic goal. I have a friend who recently published a novel and is working on #2 right now. She adheres to a strict daily writing schedule and blocks her writing off in hourly chunks. She shuts down all communication with the outside world until she's done. I really think there's something to this method-- her writing is fantastic. I hope you meet all your goals and have much success!

Anne Gallagher said...

Go You! I've never considered blogging "writing". I begin writing as soon as I open whatever Word I want to work on for the day. I don't have word count goals anymore, I just let it flow. I have uninterrupted time between 8-1 so I just write until my fingers are cramped and my caffeine brain says, "Done now."

N. R. Williams said...

Good advice. I'm currently writing with the door open.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Yay, you! It sounds like you're already living the advice. I need to do it, as well, and you're right November is the perfect month with so many people hunkered down writing.

Sarah Ahiers said...

LOL! i love how you're not doing NaNo, and yet, you kinda are!
And yes, that is a great book

Laurel Garver said...

Sounds like I need to add this book to the writing library!

Wishing you all the best with your drafting! You're right that the only way to reach goal is to commit to it.

I think blogging will likely take a back seat this month for me,too.

Ellen Brickley said...

It is a great book Nicole, and definitely good advice!

Best of luck with reaching your goals.

Patti said...

I really need to do that - have a writing schedule. It's too easy to do other things.

Candyland said...

Happy writing to you, too!

Roxy said...

I love King's On Writing. It made me cry when I read it for the first time. I felt understood as a struggling writer in a way that I hadn't been before.

Samantha Vérant said...

Bonne chance!

Terry Stonecrop said...

Best of luck with your writing! Yes the blogosphere can get in the way, so close that door and write like a maniac! See you when you come up for air:)

I'm cutting back on my constant comments to give me more time for life and writing as well.

Jai Joshi said...

I hope you do well on your goals, Nicole. It's always good to be motivated to develop better writing habits. Good luck!

Jai

Travener said...

Closed doors are good. Focuses the brain. Turn off the radio, too.

Matthew MacNish said...

Oh man! You're making me feel guilty. I haven't worked on my novel for a week or two. But I have written a few short stories and flash fiction pieces, so I justify it to myself.

I just haven't been inspired to write the novel lately and I'm not the type of writer who forces it. Maybe I should be.

I do love me some On Writing though. Good stuff!

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss nicole! wow you sound like a neat cheerleader for your writing. i could hear how you just know youre gonna do it and that makes me wanna cheer for you. HOORAY for miss nicole! im gonna miss you but knowing youre doing somethin you wanna do makes it more easy. i know youre gonna be around sometimes and im gonna be watching for you.
...big hugs from lenny

Kimberly Franklin said...

Sounds like a great idea, and as for first drafts, door closed totally makes sense. It's when all the creativeness of the MS comes out and if you're constantly interrupted... well.... it's not good.

Talli Roland said...

Great goal! I love the idea of writing with the door closed for the first draft.

Happy writing, Nicole!

Little Ms J said...

It's been awhile since I read ON WRITING. Thanks for the reminders. I need to close the freaking door.

Write on, sister.

Jessica Bell said...

Yay! Go you!!! :o)

Emy Shin said...

That's a really great goal! It does make it more difficult to write when you're keeping the door open. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

On Writing is hands down one of the awesomest books on writing I've ever read. Yay you for getting around to it and getting inspired by it!

Also, yeah. November is closed-door writing month, for serious. Nano's already kicking my ass, and it's only just begun. *wipes sweat from brow*

This comment doesn't count as opening the door, cuz I'm dashing it off while waiting for coffee to brew at work. Ssshh!

:)

Anonymous said...

Hello Nicole!

It's nice to "meet" you in your space. I think it's great you have set these goals for yourself. I have read the King's book and it did the same thing for me as it did you- my ass was on fire. Good luck with your goals. Happy writing with the door closed :)

Judy Black said...

Yay for On Writing! That has seriously been one of the most inspiring books about writing I have ever read. Writing everyday really is a pactice that I think can make a writer. You can't be a writer if you don't ever write, right?