Thursday, October 28, 2010

On Stephen King's On Writing

There are no coincidences in life, of this I am sure.  Timing is divine.  And that's the reason I hadn't gotten around to reading Stephen King's On Writing before now.

For the rest of you who make up the infinitesimal percentage I belonged to  of people who still haven't read On Writing, here's why you should pick it up today:

If you are a writer:  King talks about the craft like you're sitting on a sofa across the room from him, feet up on the coffee table or tucked underneath you.  He's so accessible, describing his life from his earliest memories forward and how his experiences shaped his writing.  You'll find yourself nodding as you read, validated as the writer you are, when he says things like:

"There is no Idea Dump, no Story Central, no Island of the Buried Bestsellers; good story ideas seem to come quite literally from nowhere, sailing at you right out of the empty sky: two previously unrelated ideas come together and make something new under the sun.  Your job isn't to find these ideas but to recognize them when they show up." -- Stephen King, On Writing (Copyright 2000 by Stephen King, published by Scribner, A Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc. -- This Scribner trade paperback edition July 2010, page 37.)

If you're a Stephen King fan:  You don't have to be a writer to love this book.  If you devoured Stephen King classics like Carrie, The Shining, Salem's Lot, The Dead Zone, Misery, etc. etc., you will learn in On Writing what everyday experiences sparked the ideas for his stories.  This book is part memoir, a backstage pass into the creative mind of Stephen King, where he tells you where the dots fell and how he connected them.

But as I said at the beginning of this post, timing in life is often extraordinary.  I was reading On Writing yesterday when I came across a passage that spoke directly to me, its message seemingly intended for me:

"The most important [lesson King learned while writing Carrie] is that the writer's original perception of a character or characters may be as erroneous as the reader's.  Running a close second was the realization that stopping a piece of work just because it's hard, either emotionally or imaginatively, is a bad idea.  Sometimes you have to  go on when you don't feel like it, and sometimes you're doing good work when it feels like all you're managing is to shovel shit from a sitting position." -- Stephen King...page 78.

Thank you, Mr. King.  I needed to hear that!


33 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

He's so clear and helpful. The book is amazing!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I can so relate to King's last statement. The final book in my series was so difficult to write and the character annoyed me - and yet it turned out to be the best thing I'd ever written.

About Me said...

Nicole, this is one of those books on writing that I've been meaning to read. You make it sound great.

Jessica Bell said...

It sounds really interesting. I've never read a Stephen King book in my life. Perhaps this will be my first :o) PS: get rid of the word-o-meter! It's descructive to creativity! ;o)

Ann Best said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lenny Lee said...

hi miss nicole! im glad mr king gave you lots to think about. i dont have this book but i got 2 neat books like it and you could learn so much from writers who could take time to help you be a better writer.
...hugs from lenny

Ann Best said...

I haven't read all of this yet, but what I've read is WONDERFUL. Your comments are also wonderful, compelling enough to make me want to pick up the book again today and read, read, read. (The fact that it's part-memoir also appeals to me.) Thanks for a great post!!
Ann

Unknown said...

Can you believe I have his book but have not actually read it yet. I don't know what I'm waiting for...

Thanks for the review.

CD

LTM said...

my husband gave me this book last year when I told him I wasn't having an online affair... I was trying to write a novel. LOL! :D (I was sneaking out of bed at night and peck peck pecking on the computer.)

It is a super resource. I highly recommend it, too. Thanks, hon! :o) <3

Ted Cross said...

I've read On Writing three times so far!

Kristal Shaff said...

It's a great book! Thanks for the reminder of it. I may have to go find it again.

--Krista Shaff

Summer Frey said...

I do still want to read this. Oh, and I read that book that we both bought at B&N--have you started it yet? It's kinda weird, I'll admit.

Sarah Ahiers said...

i love this book - i especially love the memoir parts of it. I could read a whole memoir of his

Little Ms J said...

I absolutely loved this book. So many agents at Backspace suggested we read it and I devoured it in a day.

Theresa Milstein said...

This has been my favorite book on writing. I think about certain pieces of advice from time to time. My second favorite is Les Edgerton's Hooked.

If you get a chance, I'm hosting a Halloween Haunting at my blog "Substitute Teacher's Saga" from 10/28-11/1 if you want to join in. There are prizes!

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVED reading this book, it's rather encouraging (although there's little crafty craft advice as he seems to be pretty much a pantser...). Although... I was rather disappointed that the story prompt (and the offer to send him these stories) was taken out of later editions. : (

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I need to pick up this book.

Unknown said...

I read this book a number of years ago--maybe it's time for a re-read!

Hannah said...

I've been listening to this book at work. I love it so far. His stories make me laugh, some make me cringe but all is useful shit. :P

Nicole said...

I've been wanting to read it, I'll have to order it in, none of the bookstores here have it *grouch*

www.damselinadirtydress.com

Shannon O'Donnell said...

This is one of my favorite craft books ever!! :-)

Lola Sharp said...

I own it, have given it as gifts (and even a blog contest prize), and have read numerous times...and love it. I love how he weaves his life story/memoir with real writing tips. I love his honesty.

Every writer should own it.

Eric W. Trant said...

This book is right next to Bradbury's Zen.

Funny how neither book mentions much about the mechanics of writing. They mention it some, sure, but mostly they talk about the art, not the grammar.

- Eric

Luna said...

Loved this book! It's the only Stephen King book I've read. Now I want to go read it again...:)

Unknown said...

This book rocked my world!!!!! I love it! One of my favorites!

Tracy said...

I do love that book. Got to watch him a little on the word count suggestions. He can get away with shooting for 150K or so, most of the rest of us can't. But it's nice to see that even the King had his moments in exactly the same spot most of us are now!!

Jemi Fraser said...

King is amazing!! :)

Shelley Sly said...

I adore this book! I read it last year and have been recommending it to everyone since. It really is a valuable resource AND a fun read!

Mara McBain said...

I know this will be sacrilegious to some ... but I am not a big King fan. I know I know ... Crazy!*shrugs* I just have never got into them. I admit to loving the movie The Green Mile. lol

I guess my question would be ... do you have to be a King fan to read this one?

Anthony Duce said...

Thanks for the great review. I’ve been going to pick it up.

Laura S. said...

Love this book! I should really give it a re-read!

Pat Tillett said...

I've seen it a million times, but for some reason, I never picked it up. That's very odd, because I love Stepen King...

Denise Covey said...

I'm finally reading my copy after seeing excerpts on so many blogs. It really is amazing and shows there's no easy road to writing a story. Good to remember in NaNovember..:)