Monday, June 7, 2010

A Flower by Any Name

We spent Sunday afternoon at the State Botanical Gardens in Athens, GA. It's a magical place and one of our favorite destinations when we want to kick back and relax.  The structure pictured here houses the tropical plants exhibit.  Surrounding it are winding paths through artistically designed gardens, some Japanese in theme, others fragrant with herbs or seasonal flowers.

As beautiful as the carefully planned gardens around the main building are, I still prefer the controlled chaos of the nature trails.  There are five miles of hiking trails that traverse forests, fields, and along one stretch, skirts the shore of the Middle Oconee River.  If those trails could talk, they'd tell you how much we laugh together on our spirited walks.

Yesterday, though, the sky threatened pop-up storm showers.  We packed a picnic, deciding that if it rained we'd eat lunch out and picnic at home for dinner. Gotta be flexible!

The rain held off for our meal, and afterwards we spread out a blanket under a tree, on the lawns of green space below the Tropical Conservatory.  Hubby had brought a book, which he used for a pillow as he stretched out for a nap.  The kids kicked off their sandals and explored the stream bed and flowers.  And I, of course, had my journal in hand.

I love making lists of plant names.  There seems to be a poem in every designation.  Here are a few I jotted down:

Pignut Hickory
Goat's Beard
Wake Robin
Foam Flower
Maiden Hair Tree
Paw Paw
Sea Holly
Cherry Queen Sage
Blue-eyed Grass
Bee Balm
Seaside Goldenrod
Snowcap Spiderwort

Are character names swirling around your head, too?  Ideas for stories and fodder for poetry abound in the botanical gardens.  Next time you visit one, be sure to have your journal with you!


Happy Monday!

31 comments:

Liza said...

I love plant names. The one from my garden that always makes me laugh, then grimace is: "Bloody Cranesbill."

Anne Gallagher said...

Oh what a fun day! Botanical names are always fun. I love Paw Paw, makes me think of a grandfather dog.

JE said...

OH, plant names! I would have never thought about using that for inspiration. Perfect!

~JD

Wendy Ramer, Author said...

Oh, I love pignut hickory and snowcap spiderwort. Sound like names Tom Robbins would use for his characters. If you've never read Still Life with Woodpecker or Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, I highly recommend them.

Paul C said...

This looks like a delightful family trip filled with sensory appeal and garden delights. Yes, names are so interesting. One of my favourites is the perennial lamb's ear. It's just as soft and very beautiful in late spring.

Jessica Bell said...

Another thing I miss about Australia - gardens!

Jaydee Morgan said...

It just goes to show that one can find inspiration anywhere - you just have to be observant :)

Glad to hear you had a good time.

Aubrie said...

My brother's girlfriend is actually named after a flower: Mau

I love flower names.

That place looks gorgeous! I'm glad you had a good time!

Janet Johnson said...

I've never really looked at plant names . . . black thumb and all, I usually just avoid plants (much to their appreciation, I'm sure!).

Sounds like you had a fun time!

Unknown said...

I never realized it but the names you just listed gave me great inspiration!! I guess I get inspiration from flower names, huh, who knew!!! Love it!

What a wonderful time it sounds like and I'm glad to the rain held off so you could still enjoy the day!

Laura S. said...

Sounds lovely! I love plant and flower names, too. They're so creative!

I'm glad you had a delightful day and that the rain held off for your picnic!

mi said...

great pics!

so glad you had a great time!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A garden's a good place for fantasy names.

Laurel Garver said...

I do some of my very best brainstorming out in nature, though mostly because it is a relaxing change from my otherwise urban life. Love the idea of finding inspiration in plant names.

Theresa Milstein said...

Sounds like a lovely day. And full of inspiration.

I'm always on the lookout for book ideas. Two weeks ago I subbed, and one student had an unusual name. I asked her about it. She told me what it meant, so now I'm waiting to use the name based on its meaning.

Summer Frey said...

Oh, the Botanical Garden! When I was at UGA, one of my apartments was literally half a mile from the entrance. You probably drove right by it. :-)

When UGA was proposing budget cuts, they were considering shutting down the BG as part of it--fortunately, none of that went through.

I've spent many an afternoon right where you were. I love that place so much. :-)

Talli Roland said...

Looks like a great time, Nicole. I love gardens - they're so peaceful. And I *love* the sound of 'blue-eyed grass'!

Kelly Polark said...

Plant names are fun. Love the beautiful pictures!

Lindsay said...

Sounds like you had a great day, Nicole. I love the name Bee Balm. It sounds like a character in a cute Disney animation. :)

Terry Stonecrop said...

Such pretty names. Sounds as if you and your family had a great time! Good idea on the journal.

Southpaw said...

Plant names sure are creative.

Jemi Fraser said...

I love the names of those plants. And you're right - I was picturing all kinds of people and creatures as I read.

Anonymous said...

I don't live too far from Athens, GA, but I've never been there. Now I want to go!

Today was the first day in about two weeks that I did not see a rain cloud in the sky. It was perfect!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita badly damaged our Hodges Garden Park. Sigh. Mother Nature sure has a temper sometimes.

Your blog is always fascinating to visit, Roland

Little Ms J said...

I have only been to one botanical garden, but I LOVED it. Beautiful names, lovely colors, amazing smells... I guess it is time to go back!

Anonymous said...

Those are some really, really great names! I haven't ever visited a Botanical Garden, but would love to. It sounds amazing.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

What an amazing day! Makes me went to get out to our own Botanical Gardens. We love hiking, too. I think we might go this weekend. It's tougher with little ones, but so much fun to enjoy the process of nature discovery with them.

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

These are great names! Sounds like a fun day!

Anonymous said...

I used to love plant names when I was a kid. Now I'm in the mood to look them up. They do make great character names.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Nature is so inspiring!

I think we drive through Athens when we go to Florida annually. May have to check these gardens out!

Samantha Bennett said...

Ooh, I feel like putting on a wide-brimmed hat and strolling a garden after reading this. Happy Tuesday to you!