Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Saluting Capote's Descriptive Voice

For me, the characteristic that sets an author's writing above the others is a strong descriptive voice. Descriptions captivate me when they flow like water down the riverbed of a story. I want to be pulled into the characters' world through all five of my senses, until my imagination is alive in their reality.

I aspire to write what I'd want to read.

One of the masters of literary fiction was Truman Capote. His penchant for prolific prose was astounding, and his rich descriptions permeate his short stories, novellas, and novels. I'd looked forward to reading Breakfast at Tiffany's this week (the local library's copy was checked out), but settled on a collection of short stories based on Capote's childhood. Here is an excerpt from A Christmas Memory that illustrates perfectly why I admire Capote's descriptive genuis:

Silently, wallowing in the pleasures of conspiracy, we take the bead purse from its secret place and spill its contents on the scrap quilt. Dollar bills, tightly rolled and green as May buds. Somber fifty-cent pieces, heavy enough to weight a dead man's eyes. Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. Nickels and quarters, worn smooth as creek pebbles. Bost mostly a hateful heap of bitter-odored pennies. Last summer, others in the house contracted us a penny for every twenty-five flies we killed. Oh, the carnage of August: the flies that flew to heaven! Yet it was not work in which we took pride. And, as we sit counting pennies, it is as though we were back tabulating dead flies. (Truman Capote, A Christmas Memory, page 10)

The poetic descriptions for the various pieces of money not only held my attention, but they brought the narrating character into sharper focus. Clearly, the narrator was not a city dweller. Only a country boy would see springtime buds in rolled dollar bills or equate worn coins with the smoothness of water-eroded stones. The narrator was not wealthy in the traditional sense, otherwise he wouldn't have kept coins hidden in a beaded purse, had a scrap quilt on the bed, or accepted a job paying only a penny per twenty-five dead flies. We're shown so much in such a short paragraph.

When I read his work, I glean a lesson in creative writing in every paragraph of a Capote story.


Who are your author champions, the writers who exemplify what you'd like to achieve in your own work?

12 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

Okay, keep in mind that I don't write literary fiction, like at all. But my writer-idols are Scott Westerfeld and Rick Riordian. Love everything they write.

Roxy said...

Hi, Nicole. Great post. I love Capote's A Christmas Memory. I love how he describes the holiday season as fruit cake weather. Nathan Bransford is running a similar question to yours. I'd choose Tracy Chevalier. She's soulful and so talented and smart. If I could go back to England in the 1800's, I'd be Jane Austen.

sarahjayne smythe said...

Cormac McCarthy and Margaret Atwood. I'm not quite sure what that says about me. :)

Lola Sharp said...

There is no way I could answer this question in the space you've here; so many gifted writers, so many literary treasures.
I believe there are gems in every genre, though I have a passion and propensity for literary fiction.
The books/authors that blow the lid off my head and make me gasp for breath, that are LIVING and writing:

~ Cormac McCarthy--his mastery of language and craft slay me. He breaks the rule, as only a master can, with his unique style.

~Terry Pratchett--emotion and themes

~Thomas Pynchon--weird, brilliant, funny, smart, intriguing

~Audrey Niffenegger--I really loved The Time Traveler's Wife

~Carlos Ruiz Zafon--the Angel's Game was excellent

Dan Chaon--Await Your Reply was phenomenal

Also, Nicholson Baker and Wally Lamb deserve mention.

Now, if I was allowing myself to list no-longer-with-us-in-body authors, whoa...my list would be 100's of authors.

Lola Sharp said...

There is no way I could answer this question in the space you've here; so many gifted writers, so many literary treasures.
I believe there are gems in every genre, though I have a passion and propensity for literary fiction.
The books/authors that blow the lid off my head and make me gasp for breath, that are LIVING and writing:

~ Cormac McCarthy--his mastery of language and craft slay me. He breaks the rule, as only a master can, with his unique style.

~Terry Pratchett--emotion and themes

~Thomas Pynchon--weird, brilliant, funny, smart, intriguing

~Audrey Niffenegger--I really loved The Time Traveler's Wife

~Carlos Ruiz Zafon--the Angel's Game was excellent

Dan Chaon--Await Your Reply was phenomenal

Also, Nicholson Baker and Wally Lamb deserve mention.

Now, if I was allowing myself to list no-longer-with-us-in-body authors, whoa...my list would be 100's of authors.

Anthony Duce said...

He is one of my favorite authors to read also. Thanks for sharing the piece above, one I have not read.

Stina said...

Like Elana, my shelves aren't filled with literary novels. I aspire to write like Sarah Dessen, Simone Elkeles, Lisa McMann, Richelle Mead, and the list goes on like an Academy acceptance speech.

Little Ms J said...

I don't write literary fiction. Yet. My idols are the funny guys - the David Sedaris(es) of the world. I'll have to think long and hard about who I would emulate in literary fiction since I spend so much time reading my genre.

Talli Roland said...

Funnily enough, I've just written a similar post (coming up on my blog in the next few days!). Great mind...! :) Anyway, as a chick lit writer, I'd love to sound like Sophie Kinsella, with well crafted plots like Carole Matthews.

Julie Dao said...

GREAT post. I've never read anything by Truman Capote but I really want to. The writers I really look up to are J.K. Rowling for her masterful storytelling and creativity, Anita Shreve for her gorgeous descriptions, and of course Jane Austen for her light-hearted and witty dissections of human nature.

Annika said...

Nicole cant really answer that question at the moment but would love to read more of Capote someday, what a treat!

- Oh you are such a delight, thank you so much for following me too! I am so glad that you enjoyed the post and I love how you twisted it so it applied to your writing. Don't let anything, especially fear (which is just a petty emotion anyway) stand in your way to brilliance in all aspects!
Believe me, your blog is what I need to be reading more of, I had forgot how much I loved to write and reading your posts is awakening that passion again! So I should be the one thanking you!

Pat Tillett said...

Hi there, I was just posting a "story" and saw that you had signed on at my blog. Thanks so much for doing so! In my short time digging around on your site, I've found that I like your writing a great deal. So, I'm going to tag along, if you don't mind.
thanks!