Saturday, February 6, 2010

Why Fact Is Important In Fiction


Yesterday, I learned a great deal about my WIP's protagonist, JK. More specifically, I realized her occupation -- which is important to her central conflicts -- won't work. I have to scrap most of her scenes and go back to revise her character arc outline.

You see, JK is deeply affected by a death that occurred in her early childhood, and her sub-conscious obsession leads her to ignore her true passions and pursue a career as an end-of-life caregiver.

At least, that was the plan until yesterday. I'd scheduled a meeting with a hospice nurse whose daughter and mine are in the same class. She in turn invited her collegue, and the three of us sat down at the private care facility they operate. I'd arrived prepared with fifteen or so questions to guide me through the interview.

I needed to understand how patients come to be under their personal care, and what exactly their jobs entailed. But those things weren't what I was most interested in learning. The questions I couldn't wait to ask were: What was it like the first time you witnessed a patient die? Do you become emotional when some patients pass? What's the worse death you've ever witnessed? Morbid, right? As I'd anticipated, the direct experiences they shared with me shed light on how I can craft JK into the character I envision her to be.

Unfortunately, I also realized that JK is too young to be a hospice nurse. I see her nearing her mid-twenties, at that confusing time in a person's life when she must face her childhood demons or resign herself to a lifetime under their oppression. The nurses told me it's unheard of for a nurse straight out of school to be hired by a hospice organization. There must be a minimum of clinical experience in a hospital setting, they said. I learned this when they responded to this question: What personality characteristics do you possess that helps you the most in your job as a hospice nurse? They both answered, "Self-confidence." During follow-up questions, they explained the patient's family members look to the hospice nurse as the expert, the one who garners their sense of security at a time when they feel helpless and frightened. A hospice nurse calls all the shots, relying on her ability to quickly assess a situation and prescribe a course of action. Unlike a hospital nurse, who isn't allowed to change a Band-aid without a physician's order. They both agreed that a nurse fresh out of school is simply unqualified to perform the tasks thrown at a hospice nurse.

So, I have some decisions to make. Either I have to alter JK's age so that she's worked in the field long enough to be a hospice nurse (which undermines most of what I already know about her), or I have to change her career path. Perhaps she's finished undergrad work and taking a year off before nursing school? During that time, maybe she's working as a Home Health Aide in a hospice environment. No matter what, I have a lot of rewriting to do.

One thing is for sure: Yesterday, I felt like a novelist. Conducting research was exciting and enlightening. I captured sights, smells, and sounds from the facility. I talked briefly to two of the hospice patients. I've been invited by the nurse to follow her on rounds one day next week, where I'll record as many descriptions and emotions as possible.

What kinds of research do you do for your novels? What tools do you bring along: notebook and pen, audio or video recorders, laptop computer, camera? Do you have any advice for me as I continue my research?

18 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

It's so exciting to do "real" research with real people! It's hard when the research doesn't support your assumptions though. I haven't done any "live" research yet. One of these days.

Cindy R. Wilson said...

I enjoyed this post. The more I write the more I realize that research is such a great tool to writing relatable and real stories.

I smiled when you said doing this research made you feel like a novelist. Someone on one of the blogs I visit not too long ago asked when everyone felt like an author and my answer was when I do research. It makes writing more real, it makes it feel like a career.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

sarahjayne smythe said...

This was a great post. So cool to see your passion for writing and your research coming together to make your writing better. And it made you feel good, too.

Go you!

Tonya said...

I'm so glad you got the chance to meet with her. I didn't realize you were meeting at her facility which was much better and very insightful I'm sure. And to follow her on rounds will be so beneficial. I've only seen hospice from the family member perspective, which I know to be MUCH different from the nurse's. Good luck with your revising! Keep us posted!

Unknown said...

Jemi~ It was a great experience and I'm looking forward to doing lots more! Thanks for signing on as a follower!!

Cindy~ That's so funny you said the same thing about feeling like an authentic writer when you research...I love that we already have something in common. Thanks for following!

Sarahjayne~ Thanks! Now I've got to make the best use of what I learned and get revising!

Thanks for visiting everyone! :))

Unknown said...

Hi Tonya! It was wonderful, but I left with more questions than I arrived with! And you know me, I'm terrified I'll pass out when I go on rounds with her! I'm not strong like you!!

I'll be over to your blog soon; I saw you posted today. We're off to see a movie tonight, so I've gotta run now. ((hugs)) til then!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. See, that's cool. My current WIP needs almost nothing in the way of research, which is convenient for me. But kudos to you for doing the work!

Anne Gallagher said...

Hospice care is soooo different than anything else. I took care of two Alzheimer's patients at home, and also several older people, some live-in, some not.

I agree with the nurses assessments that your MC is too young. Unfortunately, not only for the self-confidence factor but the weight of the responsibility and the futility of the impending situation. The patient will die, there is nothing to be done about that, and it is hard to bear sometimes.

I'm glad you got to do some real research, it's a boon to your craft that you are so dedicated that you would choose to do this instead of just googling it. Kudo's to you Nicole.

Unknown said...

Nicole, I loved this post. Such a great learning experience. I wish I were able to do more onsite research (except that one of the locations I'd need to go is not accessible, lol). I love that your experience really changed the reality of your story (I don't love that you have to go back and rework, but that you are striving for a true-to-life character). Very interesting. :) Thanks for sharing!

Lindsey :)

Unknown said...

By the way - OMIGOSH I love The Hunger Games! Great sequel, too. I am anxiously awaiting the third!

* said...

I collected some great research for my WIP during a trail walk with a friend the other day. She recounted an event to me and I took mental notes. When I got home later, I scribbled it all down, best I could. Sweet multi-tasking!!

Guinevere said...

Most of my research so far has involved resources from my university library or plain ol' Google. Except for unintentional encounters that I've garnered information from, I've never met with anyone just for research -- I love the idea, though. Maybe someday.

Laurel Garver said...

Thanks for sharing your thinking and decision making process as you research. It's really helpful.

I've done mostly location research, which also involved some lengthy interviews with friends who were locals to the areas. I WISH I'd had an audio recorder for those interviews. It would've helped tremendously to re-listen when my hand couldn't keep up notetaking.

Another tough thing is to tone down your decision-making when doing on-site research and focus on gathering data. Otherwise you end up only half paying attention, and might filter out details that could be useul.

Kimberly Conway said...

Great post. I have definately been there! It's frustrating when the pieces don't fit as planned, and it's definately a lot more work. The bright side is that I have found that it usually makes your story stronger because it forces you to look at things closer and from another angle. Best of luck with your revisions!

Kimberly Conway said...

Just wanted to stop in again and let you know that I left something for you at my blog today. Stop in and check it out!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christine Danek said...

I have not done much in the way of research yet. I know I will have to do some soon. I am just finishing up my first draft. I will start revising soon. I seem to already be changing things though.

I left you an award on my blog:)

Tiffany Neal said...

That is too cool to do such amazing research for your character and novel!! I was a little psychotic and researched the location of my novel for days upon end and made a scrapbook made of pictures from the town to help make me feel like I was there. I didn't actually go anywhere or do any on the front research. But, I did feel like it was important to even research things down to street names. I wanted it to all feel realistic. Is that weird?? Glad you found my blog! I'm loving meeting so many wonderful writers! This blogging world is awesome!