Thursday, May 26, 2011

~PAUSE~



The time has come for me to admit to myself and all my online friends that I need to push the cyber 'Pause' button, even though doing so will halt most of my daily Web adventures.

I love this blog!  And I adore all of you, my friends who have taught me so much about a writer's journey by sharing yours.  I never want to lose touch with you!  I'm not unplugging for good, just pausing. J

Here's the thing:  It's summertime in Georgia.  My kids have been out of school for a week, and time management has become a knife juggler's act.  Daily workouts (that I sooooo need!), regular housecleaning (bleh.), trips to the neighborhood pool (yeah, life's tough...), and spending quality time with my kids (they are the best!) leaves very little time for me.


When I sneak away to the computer, I want to write.  But instead, I read blogs, update my own, Facebook my friends and family, and tweet.  Also, I'm a moderator at Writing.com, and I have responsibilities that go along with the title that include submitting a monthly newsletter and reviewing member stories and poems.  By the time I actually open my WiP document, the kids are accusing me of being 'boring' again, and would I please come down and hang out with them.


So, clearly something's gotta give.  Although this decision wrings my heart, I've decided to change my blogging goals for the summer.


Instead of using this platform to network, learn, and enjoy the awesome writing community you have all provided me, it will become my writer's journal.


About once a week, I'll update my progress, give voice to my frustrations, and simply validate my writing efforts.  I don't expect anyone to read these posts, especially since I won't be leaving comments on many other blogs.  I will read posts during writing breaks, but my presence will be like the scent of honeysuckle on a spring breeze, sweet but barely perceptible.


I hope my wonderful followers won't drop me, but if some decide to unfollow I'll understand.  So much of blogging is reciprocation; this I know and respect.


I plan to stay connected through the convenience of Android (I love you, new phone!!).  I tweet regularly, something I can do away from my computer.  If we haven't found each other on Twitter, I'm @NicoleDwrites.  I follow back! 


I'm also on Facebook: Nicole Ducleroir.  If we're not friends yet, send me a request pleeease!  I want to know how your writing is going and cheer you on.


If you'd like, leave me your twitter ID and facebook name in the comments, so I can find you.


I will miss regular blogging, but let's face it: what do I need a platform for if I'm not WRITING??  Time to put the horse back in front of the cart.  (Ick, a cliché *shudder*)  Man, can I do this?  I already miss blogging, and I haven't clicked publish yet!  Okay, deep breath.  Here it goes...


                                    

31 comments:

Royce A Ratterman said...

See you when you're back!

Liza said...

Sometimes it just has to be done. Have a great, creative and enjoy your kids kind of summer!

Sarah Ahiers said...

No worries! Don't feel bad about taking a break. We all do, and trust me when i say you'll feel better that you did!
Have fun!

Anne Gallagher said...

I'm getting ready to take the summer off too. I have a couple more posts in the hopper but for the most part I'll be absent from the blogosphere. Hey, kids come first no matter what. (Writing comes in at a very close second.) As soon as I set up my FB and T accounts I'll find you. Don't feel guilty and have great time off.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I don't blame you at all. Between posting on my own blog, and trying to keep up and comment on other blogs, my poor WIP ends up getting the short straw.

Carolyn V said...

I totally understand. I've been going through revisions for an agent and I want to spend my quiet time writing. My kids need to come first, so the blogging/internet comes last. It's good to have priorities. =) Have a great summer Nicole!

Val said...

Like I say - we don't live out our lives on the pages of these blogs. Real life sometimes needs priority. I've actually taken to reposting a few things or sending folks to other blogs while I'm doing the same - worshiping the gym and countering the evils of European cheese & pork products I've been putting down my neck on and off since September. Enjoy your summer and a little bit of life away from the computer screen - hopefully we all will. It's healthy!

Kristin Rae said...

I think your priorities are great, Nicole! Your kids are only kids once, so soak it up! And using your blog as a writing journal is fantastic. Your followers will be inspired by your progress, and it will serve as documentation of your journey for you. And really, isn't that why writers start blogging in the first place??

Happy summer!

Candyland said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Summer is busy. And I'll be here whenever you return.

Melanie K said...

I applaud your decision to prioritize as I am struggling to do the same. Goals have been set to refresh, renew and sit to read on my front porch. A joy I cannot recall having for at least 12 months. Simplicity. Becoming available again...emotionally, physically & spiritually to myself and others. Saying no can bring the opportunity to say yes to something exciting and full of potential! I expect when you return... We are all in for a treasure of fresh ideas & inspiration~
"Go and embrace your freedom & see what wonderful things come of it" Marme, Little Women
Rest my friend~
Melanie K

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sometimes you just have to take a step back. I think I'm following you already on Twitter, but will go check. My ID is my name as you see here.

Jessica Bell said...

Honey, really, don't sweat it! Everyone will still love you when you come back to full swing (if you do).

I think you should read this post: http://jodyhedlund.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-can-we-possibly-connect-with-all.html

Nofretiri said...

Obviously I'm not the first one (... and for sure not the last), who thinks about a summer break. I think I'll take mine in July/August!

Enjoy your time, especially with your kids!

CU then! :-)

Karin @ Nofretiris Dream Of Writing

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY understand! Summer is a busy time for moms. Do what you have to do, blog when you can. I know I'll be hanging around. Have a great summer with the kids!

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY understand! Summer is a busy time for moms. Do what you have to do, blog when you can. I know I'll be hanging around. Have a great summer with the kids!

Golden Eagle said...

I hope you have a great summer! :)

Lola Sharp said...

It's all about balance and happiness and family. We understand, love. We really do. *hugs*
Love you,
me

Laura said...

Have a fab summer, enjoy your kids, your writing and your pause. I'll still be here when you get home :)

Happy days
Lx

Jemi Fraser said...

Enjoy those kids! There's nothing more precious in the world and they deserve you. Have fun! :)

Trisha said...

Enjoy your break!!

Anonymous said...

Social media is a time suck. I don't blame you for scaling back.

Have a great weekend.

DL Hammons said...

I have absolutely no idea of what you speak!!! (Snark-alert) A return of focus cures a lot of evils. You're doing the right thing...for you...and your family! :)

February Grace said...

Enjoy every second with the kids. They just grow up too fast, and the writing and above all social media (or whatever the Next Big Thing is) will be there after they've moved out.

Every day is a memory. Make the most of it, and I am giving you a one-woman standing ovation for having your priorities so clearly in order. It's really a beautiful thing!

Happy Summertime!!!
~bru

KM Nalle said...

You have got to take care of you first (and your family). Don't sweat it. Enjoy your summer and your writing.

Regina said...

Breaks are required to keep your mind healthy. So take as long as you need. We will still be here when you get back. Happy writing!

LTM said...

I know--I'm about to have to do the same thing. ((big hugs)) I know we'll stay in touch~ <3

Matthew MacNish said...

Writing HAS to come first. It wasn't for me, and that's why I've been taking a break too.

Unknown said...

I had to do the exact same thing, Nicole. You'll come back rested and ready, and we'll be here!

I actually stopped by to catch up myself. I just wanted to say 'thank you' for your support during my A-Z blogging month. I've created a fun "no strings attached" blog award for you and all of the other awesome bloggers who offered feedback and encouragement.

You can view the award and my thank you note here:
http://the-open-vein-ejwesley.blogspot.com/2011/06/im-back-bringing-love.html

Hope you are well and that I see you around in the future!

EJ

Alana said...

Enjoy the pause, your family and WRITING! Heading to twitter to follow you now. :)

Christina Farley said...

I totally hear you. I really do love blogging because it allows me to stay updated on the writing community, but yes, it takes out a lot of your writing time! I really do get that. Have a happy summer!

J. L. LaRossa said...

See you soon.