Friday, January 21, 2011

Significant Other Blogfest!

Thanks DL Hammons and Talli Roland for hosting the Significant Others Blogfest, where we writers give our blogs over to our better halves and let them rant express what it's like living with a writer.  Enjoy!!

This is me and my husband, Christian, a few weeks before our wedding.  My big, Italian family threw us a shower in New York state, since most of my aunts, uncles and cousins wouldn't be flying to France for the wedding.  One uncle and his wife gave us these glasses for a wedding present.  They explained:  "Eventually, you'll get pissed off at each other.  When you start to fight, put these on.  It's really hard to stay mad at someone who looks so ridiculous."  Luckily, we don't need them (that often).  I included this photo so you have a good idea of our goofy sides.  We're pretty care-free, and we laugh.  A lot!


[Before we get started, first let me say that Christian is supportive of anything I want to do...but, he does not share an iota of the passion I feel for writing.  He's annoyed when he has to write an email.  Therefore, Christian and I both felt more comfortable with me interviewing him for this blogfest rather then him writing down his thoughts.  Also, he is French, and English is his second language.  Many people have commented that Christian sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger when he talks, so go ahead and read Christian's lines with that accent. ;)]

Me:  What’s it like to be married to a writer?

Christian:  I don’t know.

Me(pause) You don’t know?

Christian:  It’s not too bad. There’s nothing wrong with that.  Except if you’re like me, all logical and fixing (Caterpillar) tractors for a living, then poetry isn’t really my field, if you know what I mean.  I read service manuals all day.   So of course, there’s some stuff I don’t understand.

Me:  What about my erotica?

Christian:  That’s the good stuff.  Make more of it.  I’ll read that.

(I roll my eyes and we both laugh.)

Christian:  Honestly, it’s not that, baby.  Most of the time, you don’t get it that I don’t get it.  That’s about all of it.  I don’t try to be mean to you.  It’s just not my cup of tea.  I just don’t get it.

Me:  I know, I know.  Next question:  Do you think I spend too much time on the computer or not enough time, and why?

Christian:  Is that the only choices we have?  I mean, sometimes you do spend too much time, and sometimes I don’t give a shit.  Sometimes, yes.  But most of the time it isn’t writing related, is it?  Lots of the time it's Facebook and stuff.  But, no.  You’re good about it.  When the three of us stand at the bottom of the stairs and scream, “MOM!” you come right down.

Me:  Can you tell when I’ve sort of zoned out and started thinking about my stories instead of what’s going on around me?

Christian:  Yeah.  ‘Cause when the zebra’s in the zone, you leave him in the zone.  (Christian and our two kids love the Madagascar movies.  They quote them whenever it’s remotely appropriate.  And, obviously sometimes when it’s not…) Woman, of course I can tell.  When I ask you a question and you answer something else, I know you’re thinking about writing. 

Me:  Hmm, I guess I knew that.  And don’t call me ‘woman.’ (Inside joke.  Clue:  We love Clueless.) What’s the first thing you’re going to buy when I sell a bestselling book?

Christian:  Nothing, baby.  That’s going to be your money.



Awww!  What a sweetie!  Maybe I’ll buy him a little present with some of it…
So there you have it, a glance inside our lives and my husband's mind.

Be sure to visit the other blogfest participants.  You can view the Mr. Linky list at Cruising Altitude <--> Click here.  


Thanks for stopping by!!!  
                                    

46 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh my gosh, that was too cute!!

I laughed when he said he'd read more erotica too.

And I love Clueless!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

He kind of sounds like my hubby. It's funny. I'll read him a blurb and his face says it all, 'I work with cars, not words.' Hah....

Kudos to your hubs!

Mara McBain said...

LOL I love your interview with Christian! Priceless! "Get it" or not you can feel the love. Thank you for sharing!

Tonya said...

OMG! I absolutely LOVED reading this! I can so hear you and Christian having this conversation while sharing a cup of coffee. And the funny thing is, the first time I met Christian in my front yard and he told me his name, I had to ask him to repeat it because I was so taken aback by him sounding like Arnold! LOL!

Jessica Bell said...

LOLOLOL! Christian sounds like a such a cool guy. And he also sounds like he'd get along with my signifcant other too!!!! LOLOL

Matthew MacNish said...

Wow, this is one of the best ones. What fun! My family has movies that we quote from automatically too.

DL Hammons said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! You both did an excellent job! I can soooooo hear Christain saying all of that. He is such a great guy and although we only met the one time, I feel we would get along famously if circumstances were different. Kudo's to him for suffering through your questions. :)

Oh yeah...you're pretty cool too!

Stephanie Lorée said...

Reading this with the Arnold accent really did it for me. So much fun!

Jules said...

Very funny. If I had not been reading with an accent I would have sworn he was southern :)

BTW, I love the Madagascar movies too :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Summer Frey said...

Hmmm...I think we covered some of these questions at the great Mimi's meet-up, didn't we? So I have face and voice to go with the dialogue. :) And even though he doesn't sound like Arnold to me, I still read this in the Arnold voice. :)

We should meet up soon!

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

so, so adorable!! Love it!

You two are wonderful!! This was such a fun blogfest!


Visit My Kingdom Anytime

walk2write said...

It's funny how practical the spouses are in contrast to their partner-writers. You obviously balance each other quite well.

Shannon said...

Awww...I love this interview. Your hubby sounds great! You two are too cute together!

Myne said...

I like the last answer too, he's so cute and the AS accent worked too, lol...

Laurel Garver said...

This was so fun. I've often wondered what it's like to be married to someone who is more of a hands-on person than a stuck-in-your-head person. I love how he treats your writing achievements as your very own, too. That's priceless.

Sarah Ahiers said...

AWESOME! i LOVE that picture of you guys!

Candyland said...

Aha! Clueless! We say that too. You two are cute.

Dan said...

"What about the erotica?" "That's the good stuff." Ha! Awesome!

Dan - my wife's post.

Angela said...

Your money, how nice! I like your husband already.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Awesome, now I can't get Arnold out of my head.

Sangu Mandanna said...

"Me: What about my erotica?

Christian: That’s the good stuff. Make more of it. I’ll read that."

SO funny!

This was brilliant, Nicole, thank you and thank you, Christian, for doing this!

(Also, how great was the tip about putting a silly mask on when you're fighting?? It must work like a charm!)

Kristin Rae said...

hahaha I love this. And it's probably similar to what I would have gotten out of my hubs, especially the "You know I just don't get it..." ;) Your hubs fixes tractors... mine is a hunter/fisherman who hasn't read a book since The Hatchet in 5th grade. :)

Unknown said...

You're life sure must be interesting! He seems like a great guy, even if he doesn't "get it". You obviously share the same sense of humor and that goes a really long way!

Plamena Schmidt said...

Aww, that was so sweet : )

Roxy said...

Loved this, Nicole. You guys are very funny together.

Jon Paul said...

Awesome! We love the Madagascar movies too and we're always quoting them. Must be something going around!

Thanks for sharing an insight into your writing life!

Rachel Searles said...

What a cute interview :) I love the zebra quote!

Thanks for the follow back, Nicole! I look forward to reading more of your posts too!

Summer Ross said...

LOL, the way this is posted is great. sometimes interviews are so much better. I love that hes trying.

Golden Eagle said...

I love that your post is interview-style!

Lydia Kang said...

Great interview! My hubs and I are also always quoting random movies. It's like a secret language!

Jodi Henry said...

Random movies are fantastic. More erotica made me laugh. This is too cute.

J

Nicole Zoltack said...

How sweet! What a cute interview.

LTM said...

LOL! Your reaction to his first answer = priceless. And zebra in the zone. And don't call me woman. Good stuff! You guys are too sweet~ :o) <3

Jolene Perry said...

wow, we could totally watch movies together. That was awesome.

Unknown said...

I can tell the two of you have great chemistry. I'm sure if I wrote erotica my husband would be into it as well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm the 500th follower! Do I win anything? Have a great weekend!

Tracy said...

That was too funny! a man of very few words...
thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind comments! I do appreiciate the thoughts~

Vicki Rocho said...

What a sweetie! I'm loving hearing from everyone's 'other half'.

Great post! (and I love that picture!)

L.A. Colvin said...

"Nothing, baby. That’s going to be your money."

NICE... What a sweetie. Thanks for sharing.

L.A. Colvin said...

"Nothing, baby. That’s going to be your money."

NICE... What a sweetie. Thanks for sharing.

G.~ said...

I love the honesty. That's hard to find. My husband doesn't really get it either, but the the support is nice none the less.

It's been quite some time since I've been so involved in everyone's blogs. It's nice to be back.

Susan Fields said...

How sweet! I definitely think a present for him will be in order when you sell a bestselling book. My husband keeps asking me when I'm going to make my millions so he can retire. Someday, honey, someday... :)

Kari Marie said...

This whole thing was amazingly wonderfully sweet. All of it. Perfection.

Elena Solodow said...

He's not a sugar-coater, is he? haha Love it.

Elena Solodow said...

He's not a sugar-coater, is he? haha Love it.

Talli said...

Yay! I can read this now, and I'm so glad! Christian sounds a bit like Mr TR - very 'tell it like it is'. I love that! And Mr TR has an Arnie-style accent, too. :)