Sunday, January 16, 2011

Off-the-Cuff Contest Entry #2

Today's 15 For 15 photo prompt was similar to this one.  The lion in the original picture is seated under a more majestic looking tree, and he looks more...I don't know, regal?  Anyways, this one gives you an idea of where my inspiration came from.  I was a little stymied; animal pictures do that to me.  I'm not a fan of stories from the POV of an animal.  Here's what I came up with for my entry.  I wrote it in just under 15 minutes:

I am the Lion, Lord of these lands.
I am the fiercest of beasts.  All tremor in my presence, not because I will destroy them, but because I could, if I wanted to.  Brute strength and handsome features aside, it is my cunning instincts that put me in that class by myself.
Those instincts guide me.  I trust them.
As I lie in wait, I am calm, no fear betrays my face.
When the time comes, I will pounce.  Attack.  Intimidate, if needed.  Assert myself.  Prove again why I am the Lion.  
The one everyone wants in their corner....

The door swings open.

"Mr. Mitchel?  Mr. Stephenson and his team are ready for you.  Good luck with your pitch, sir."



                                    

10 comments:

Glynis Peters said...

Another great read! You certainly can create under pressure!

Unknown said...

Hi Glynis! I look at the prompt when it posts, around 8:30 am. Then I let the image percolate in my mind until an idea comes to me (which usually happens in the shower ??). When I sit down for 15 minutes of typing, I usually have a sketchy plan. However, I'm always amazed at the actual words that flow out of my head under pressure. Always a surprise, always fun to read back afterwards. Thanks for reading!

DEZMOND said...

he he very witty story, Nicole!

Hannah said...

I love prompted prose. It's one of my favorite things to do. Great job!!

Jules said...

I agree with Glynis, wit under pressure :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

PK HREZO said...

Yeah! ! Go get'em, Tiger! Uh... I mean Lion!

storyqueen said...

hahaha!

Nice twist.

Shelley

The Words Crafter said...

Ah, off the cuff. I get it! This was really good for under 15 minutes; impressive!

Deniz Bevan said...

That's great, Nicole! Especially because of the photo, I wasn't expecting that twist at all.

Laura said...

Hey, Nicki, great idea for the picture. I wouldn't tell the lion in your picture you don't think he's very regal, though. HIs feelings might be hurt and his claws might come out! O.o
-- Laura