Thursday, December 30, 2010

First Blogiversary!



Today is my blog's one year anniversary!

It's hard to believe it's been a whole year since my first post, and just as hard to believe it's only been one year!  On milestones like this, I like to look back on where I've been, and look forward to where I'm going.

On December 30th, 2009, I was a newbie blogger to the tenth power.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I was afraid anyone would read my posts....And, I was terrified no one would, either.  In my first post, it's evident I didn't even realize there was an entire community of writers that blog.

In the past year, I've connected with so many people who, like me, love to write.  Some of us aspire to publish our work, some of us have seen our work in print, some of you have already sold your novels.  But the common thread weaving us all together is our shared passion.

This isn't the first community of writers I've belonged to online.  I've been a member at Writing.com (WDC) since 2007.  But, it's not the same.  I post my short fiction there and elicit feedback from fellow members.  It's all about my finished projects.  WDC connects me to the writing community at a different stage in the game, I guess you could say.  I love my WDC home, and it is a place where you get out of the community what you put into it.  The more active you are, the more interactive you will find your experience.  Yet, there are only a handful of writers from WDC who are my true friends, who I feel a connection with that goes beyond cyber-relationships.  And they blog here now!!  (*waves to Mara and Adriana*)

But blogging about writing is unique.  In blogging about my process, about my struggles as well as my triumphs, I come to understand myself as a writer on an ever more intimate level.  And being surrounded by a community of writers who are confessing the same ups and downs, and sharing their inspirational strategies for success, makes me feel less crazy and alone.  

I didn't know, a year ago, the impact my decision to launch this blog would have on my writing and on my life.  It's been an amazing ride, and I want to thank everyone by name -- but that would take a long time.  In fact, I actually began a list, but I realized I couldn't stop adding names.  I started with those of you I have met in real life, and who I often email with, and to whom I sent and received holiday cards, and who regularly visit my blog, and who's blogs I try to visit every new posting, and....by that time, I realized the insanity in trying to pick out certain stars from the universe of those who have touched me in some way.  Like the heavens, those stars are too numerous to count.

Looking forward, I have plans for the blogging year to come.  I've changed my blog's layout, as you can surely tell.  I'm working on that white bar you see across the page.  I'm always going into the coding and personalizing my templates -- computer programming is the ONLY area classified as Mathematics that I actually enjoy.  This time, I pulled the template header image out and doctored it through Paint Shop Pro, since the original header says "FASHION" across the top :P

When I pasted the new image url into the template coding, the white line appeared.  Hmmm...Any ideas?  Anyone?

Also in 2011, I will post on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  Tuesdays and Thursdays will be heavy WIP writing days, with blog visits/commenting during breaks.  I am determined to successfully juggle my writing and blogging schedules, and to FINISH THAT FIRST DRAFT.  (Please feel free to hold me accountable. *waves sheepishly at Jessica, in particular*)

Thank you, blogging friends, for contributing to the best year of my life.  I look forward to another great year of reading your blogs, cheering you on during your writing projects, and celebrating our successes.

Come on, 2011.  Bring it!

                                    

45 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

What a lovely post! You seriously fiddle with coding??? Yikes. That would get my brain and eyelids and fingers so sticky they wouldn't be able to co-ordinate with each other any more. Kudos to you!

Can't wait to read more of your stuff next year!!! :o)

PSL love your signature. How did you do that? Can you make one for me? Or email me on how to do it?

Vicki Rocho said...

YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

'nuff said.

Glynis Peters said...

Have fun in 2011! With the white strip try reducing the width of the image. That is the only help I can offer. LOL


Thank you for your support during 2010. :)

Matthew MacNish said...

I need to make some similar changes to my blogging habits. I haven't been writing enough.

Happy Holidays!

Anne Gallagher said...

Happy New Year!!!! May all your wishes come true.

Charity Bradford said...

Happy Birthday/anniversary, whatever we call it in the blog world.

Here's to looking forward to 2011!

Tonya said...

WOW! One year already??? I clearly remember our chat about blogging in your kitchen one year ago. I encouraged you to do it, and I'm so glad you did! You are an amazing writer, and I'm thrilled that you've had such a great experience this past year. I hope 2011 is even better! Happy Blogiversary! And, by the way, I love your new look AND your new signature! You'll have to share with me how you did that.

Love,
Tonya

Elizabeth Flora Ross said...

Happy Blogoversary! I like the date, because this is my daughter's birthday. She's celebrating two years today. ;)

I'm a newbie blogger myself, started in April. Had NO idea what I was doing, and I'm still learning. But loving it...

Cherie Reich said...

Happy Blogiversary!!

I love the new layout. I'd be too scared to mess with the codes, though. It's looking great so far!

And, here's to many more blogging years!

Theresa Milstein said...

Happy blogiversary. It's nice to look back and reflect on what you've accomplished. Good luck as you continue writing and blogging. Happy New Year!

Summer Frey said...

I know what you mean, about trying to name names. This blogging thing has been one wild ride, so much richer than anything I could have imagined. Now I can't imagine what I did before I came to Blogger and had all these wonderful relationships.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon! Happy New Year. :)

Liza said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! Here is wishing you just as much success in 2011.

Elizabeth Poole said...

Happy Blogoversary!

I am glad you chose to make the leap into blogging because I find your posts insightful, witty, and helpful. Here's to another great year!

Adriana Noir said...

Yay! Happy Blog B-Day, Nicole! <3 Your words were beautiful, as always, and I LOVE your enthusiastic outlook. Don't worry...I'll be holding you accountable. I've made the smae promise to myself and you know what they say about misery loving company! ;)

Summer Ross said...

Happy Blog birthday! That is so amazing! You are doing a wonderful job on your blog- so you should be proud of it. and you are right this blog thing is much different then a writing group. I have belonged to CC (critique circle) since 2006 and the differences are amazing and helpful in different ways.

Luna said...

Happy anniversary, Nicole! So glad you found your way to blogging.

I hope all your writing dreams come true in 2011. Thanks for letting us follow your journey!

*Hugs*

Mara McBain said...

*waves back* LOL Awesome BLOG, Nicki. I seriously have NO idea how you find the time and inspiration. I look at my BLOG and draw a blank. It has ended up being little more than a status update like FB. *looks sheepish* I have no idea what people want to read, but i know I love your BLOG!

Laurel Garver said...

Happy Blogiversary, Nicole! What a fun year it's been, getting to know you. Best wishes for a blessed and productive 2011!

LTM said...

Hooray, Nicole! Happy anniversary!!! That's really cool, and I agree with you. Starting out, I had zero idea what was waiting for me.

All the best in 2011~ :o) <3

Jayne said...

Love what you have done with your blog - looking forward to seeing what else you come up with! Happy one year in blog-land, and of course - Happy New Year!

Sarah Ahiers said...

i have no idea how to fix that white bar, but i have to say i love the template even with the bar!

Kristin Rae said...

Great post! Lovely thoughts--it's totally true this blogging community of writers is so supportive and understanding, encouraging.... I'm so glad I found it too.

And having a blogging schedule to leave time for writing is a GREAT idea!

Yat-Yee said...

Congratulations! It's amazing what blogging and taking part in others' blogs can do, isn't it?

Best to you for 2011

Leigh Hutchens Burch said...

Happy blogiversary... you know, I can remember when I started following you. I don't remember what the post was about -- maybe a snippet of your WIPpet? Anyway, I thought at the time, "I think I'm REALLY going to like her."

I did... and I do!

Southpaw said...

Congratulations! I see you’ve fix the white line (‘cause I don’t see one.)

Unknown said...

I figured out how to fix the white line!! Yikes, that was frustrating. But I did it!!!!

Shelley Sly said...

What a happy post, Nicole! Congrats on your one-year anniversary -- I am so glad you're in the blogging world! I love the gorgeous new layout, but even if your blog looked like the equivalent of a brown paper bag, I'd still love it here. You're awesome, girl!

Happy New Year!!

Kaysens nye klæder said...

Congrats! I hope you'll get a lovely 2011 :)
Happy new year!!

kaysens.blogspot.com

Emy Shin said...

Happy Blogoversary, Nicole! Your new blog template is gorgeous, and I'm looking forward to more of your blog posts in the upcoming year. :)

Golden Eagle said...

Happy Blogoversary! One year is a lot of blogging.

Happy New Year!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Here's to your first full year! I'm like you - I was amazed at the community support once I finally dragged my butt online.

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats on the year! Love the look to the blog :)

Wishing you all the best for the new year!

Pat Tillett said...

Congratulations and Happy New Year Nicole...

The Words Crafter said...

Happy Blogiversary!!!!

Isn't that the most wonderful problem? Having so many names to list that you just can't do it?!!

I keep telling my non blogging friends to get on and get to it. There's such an unbelievable amount of support here!

Good luck with your first draft and Happy New Year!

Julie Dao said...

Congratulations!!! One year is BIG in the blog world :) Have a happy, happy new year!

Wendy Ramer, Author said...

Just gave you a plug on my post. Happy Blogiversary!

Carolyn Abiad said...

Happy anniversary! I'm so very glad the blogoverse connected us...thanks to Jessica. :)

Best wishes for 2011!

Anonymous said...

You're so much more creative with the blog layout than I am. I'm all, Minima hacked for 3 columns, grey background. (This was before blogger made 3 columns possible. Grrr....)

Anyhow, happy blogoversary, good lady! I'm glad we've connected in this 'ere blogosphere. Here's to a productive 2011 for all of us! :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on your one year blogiversary! What a wonderful milestone to reach! (Mine is coming up next month!)

Creepy Query Girl said...

awe, LOVE the new layout! And I totally get this post. I think we all feel the same way. I dunno where I would be if I hadn't started blogging. Wishing you lots of great things for the year to come!

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss nicole! wow a whole year of blogging! how cool is that! i like how you changed up how your blog looks. its soooo neat! im just real glad i got at your blog and you and me got to be blogger friends. i learned lots from you. im wishing for you a real fun and happy new year.
...hugs from lenny

Laura S. said...

Happy Blogiversary, Nicole!!! And a Happy New Year to you and yours!!! May 2011 be your best year yet!

Terry Stonecrop said...

Congratulations on your Blogiversary!

And have a wonderful Happy New Year:)

Jackee said...

So well said, Nicole! It has been great getting to know you through blogging, too. :o) I love the new look!!!

And I'm sure 2011 will bring great things!

Hugs,
Jackee

Deniz Bevan said...

Congratulations! Hope 2011 brings you lots of good things!