Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Consequences Tend to Snowball

I've learned a lot the past two weeks.  Holding on to ideas that I once thought were brilliant can be counter-productive.   But in facing the fact that they weren't working in the project, I had to embrace all the consequences that come with story-altering decisions -- and consequences tend to snowball.

First, there was the extensive outline I'd prepared for my WiP "Overcome."  Some of you may remember the posts I wrote about the SnowFlake Method of outlining.  (Way down on the right sidebar are the labels, if you're interested in reading past posts.)  I still think it's a wonderful way to flesh out your characters and plot, but I now see the flip-side:  If you decide a major change is necessary, such as changing an important character (her personality, her inner conflicts, and her occupation), then the plot must also change to accompany the new character arc.  In my case, 80% of my outline is now in the "cut" folder.

Thankfully, Shannon Whitney Messenger was inspired (there are no coincidences...) to write a blog post yesterday about her outlining process, which was for me the answer I was seeking.  Her approach is just detailed enough to guide her, while allowing the creative magic to flow.  It's the perfect blend of plotting and pantsing.  If you missed it, here's the link:  Outlining: Shannon Style

As I reworked my skeletal outline and wove what I have already written about the antagonist with what I was learning about the new protagonist, I noticed a theme emerging that had me and my muse holding hands and jumping up and down.  How exciting!  And in the days that followed, I realized the working title "Overcome" was no longer the right name for the story.

I have a new working title for the novel.  And during a writing break last night, I played around with it and mocked up a (silly) book cover.  Just for fun.  Here it is:





And here is the new protagonist of "Safe in Captivity":


Samantha Stiles is a high energy, athletic and ambitious woman who is passionate about her work with large cats at a prestigious zoo.  Exotic animals are easier to "save" than people, in her opinion, though her instincts push her to try.  She has her sights set on a permanent Curator position...


Enter Adriane Conrad, the thorn in Sam's side:


Adriane is the daughter of the zoo's Board of Directors President and heiress to his shipping and transportation fortune.  She's used to the jet-set lifestyle and operates under the assumption that she's entitled to whatever life has to offer.  Daddy doesn't think so.  He thinks she needs a job...


I haven't decided what "Safe in Captivity" antagonist, Ray Manners looks like.  He's a tough one.  I see him clearly on the inside, but his appearance continues to evade me.  I can't even decide on his age.  The search is on, though.  When I have met him face-to-face, I'll introduce you to him :))

And one more thing I've learned this week; well, been reminded of, at least.  In an exchange with Wendy Ramer she reiterated something I've lost sight of lately:  Writing is fun.  Sure, putting together a logical, exciting, conflicted and resolvable plot is hard and even mind-boggling at times.  But it's fun.  Right?  Yes.


Hope you're enjoying it too!  

30 comments:

Samantha Vérant said...

I think you may be in my head. As a Samantha who used to dream about working with exotic cats, I have settled on a Bengal (house cat that looks like a mini panther). Suffice it to say, I'm digging your storyline!

Stina said...

I love your mock cover, Nicole. I'm with you on the outlining/panstering formatt. I have an outline for my wip, but I'm making a change in the current chapter I'm working on that wasn't in the original plan. I felt it needed something else. ;)

Anonymous said...

This was so interesting and fun to look at! I had the same problem when I did a detail outline on the recent project that is resting for a few months before editing. I learned then that being that detailed wasn't right for me. I haven't checked Shannon's link yet, but I'm about to do that now.Thanks for sharing.

Tracy said...

That's something similar to what I do with my outlining. I still consider myself mostly a pantser, but I start out with about a dozen or so plot points/scenes that carry the story from beginning to end...and then I fill in the information in between with the fleshing out of the characters. It makes it a bit easier (as you learned the hard way) to make more significant changes to the story/characters.

Yay for you and your muse though of getting a good shot of adrenaline to your inspiration!!

Cherie Reich said...

Great post, Nicole! I had something similar happen to me while doing NaNoWriMo. I had my great outline and was writing along when I realized the story wasn't just about one character but three and each were equally important. So, the working title changed from SARAH'S NIGHTMARE to MISSING. It happens, but it's better to go with the flow than fight it. :)

Lola Sharp said...

Congrats on your breakthroughs, and I love your cover.

Mostly writing IS fun...but sometimes, well, sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's frustrating. But when the breakthrough comes, the solution to the plot tangle hits us in the head while we drive down the road to the grocery store...that's pretty damn exciting.

Wonderful post, Nic.
Love,
Lola

Summer Frey said...

I'm glad things are falling into place! You seem much happier about it now. I love the new MC, and I'm excited how her new job is going to change things. My lifelong childhood/teenage ambition was to work in a zoo, but with the primates. Guess I still get to do that, but with the slightly more advanced ones...

And yes, writing is fun! Write to entertain yourself above all else.

Sarah Ahiers said...

I love samantha! I want to be pals with her!

Also i think there's a thin line between letting a story marinade and holding onto it so long it rots.

mmmmmmm, marinade...

Anne Gallagher said...

Go You! I saw that post of Shannon's. Great stuff.

Love what you're doing with your work. Sounds like a great story.

Matthew MacNish said...

This is awesome. Also? Shannon rules. Thanks for sharing this with us all Nicole!

Jessica Bell said...

I'm SOOOO excited! I get to read about these characters! Awesome, Nicole! How soon till you send me some????

Little Ms J said...

Where do you get the cool pics of your characters?

Glynis Peters said...

Wow, I love your mock up cover! I have found a new style for me. Small planning guidelines and go with the flow. :)

Candyland said...

Love it! I def. think having mock-ups and pics help you *see* it as you write.

Shannon Messenger said...

Aw...so exciting to hear my post helped you. This just made my day!

And your new character and titles are awesome. I have no doubt the draft will be fabulous. Happy writing!

Jai Joshi said...

The good news about having to make a major change in the outline is just that. It's the outline I need to change, not 80,000words of story. Much more efficient. I write a bried description of each scene and it's easy for me to flip through them and put in changes that make more sense as I come to understand my characters and the purpose of the story.

Great post, Nicole. I like the new working title you've come up with and the story sounds intriguing!

Jai

Mara McBain said...

AMAZING book cover, Nicki! That's not silly at all. It would make me pick it up and that is 1/2 the battle! I love the new title. <3

Nicole Zoltack said...

Love the new title. And that cover rocks!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Such major cuts are so tough! But worth it in the end. Pleasure to meet your two characters. They are lovely and look like tons of fun to work with!

Jennifer Hillier said...

Cool cover! Looks like writing isn't your only talent.

Cutting 80% of your outline is tough, but it sounds like a good and gutsy move.

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Oooh, lovely cover!

What next: graphic novels?

And yeah, when writing is no longer fun I'll retire from it and spend my dotage reading! ;)

best
F

Talli Roland said...

Love the mock covers! Isn't creating mock covers fun? And I love your new story idea.

Shannon's outling method is really similar to the one I use, and I LOVE it! She explained it much better than I ever could!

LTM said...

awesome awesome awesome! Sounds like you made it through the rough and now have your groove back! Excellent work--and I bet SIC is going to rock!

wooo!!! :o) <3

Carolyn V. said...

It sounds so great Nicole! The pictures are amazing. =D

Terry Stonecrop said...

I like your new protagonist. This sounds really good!!!

I don't outline but still things change on me, because in my head I have ideas about what is to happen.

And one day, I find a character is really not useful and needs to be cut, which changes what I've already written. So yeah, it can be disconcerting.

The Words Crafter said...

Though I'm new-ish to outlining (panster), I had one for my nano story. The main characters wanted a child, then more pets, and it totally negated the ending. I have found a way to salvage it, but it needs tweaking....fun learning experience.

Going to check out both outlining techniques!

Luna said...

I enjoyed meeting your characters and am intrigued by your idea. Sounds like a fantastic story!

Have fun writing and working with your changes. Hope you are enjoying the weekend!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susan Kaye Quinn said...

It's brave to re-write, even braver to re-imagine. Go you! And I'm hopping over to see Shannon. She's my hero. :)