Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What We All Need Is...


One of the Chilean miners to reach the surface last night in the incredible, unprecedented rescue mission unfolding at the San Jose Mine had written a letter to his wife in the days following the discovery of the thirty-three men, alive, 700 meters below the mountain-scape of Copiapo, Chili.  In the letter, he said the hope of returning to her, his dear wife, would keep him going throughout the ordeal.  He closed the letter with three words: Patience and Faith.

In the midst of what is certainly the most harrowing experience of this miner's life, his profession of optimism and trust traveled around the world to touch my heart.  I'm reminded today that this simple credence has boundless power, and can be applied to any situation or challenge I'm faced with.

Everything of true value in life must be achieved.  A treasured possession lacks luster if it came to you by chance, when compared to the rewards of hard work and determination.  And in this day of "I want..." and "right now," it's easy to succumb to the pressures of frustration and the false promises of life's short cuts.

My publishing journey is well underway, but I've struggled at times with its course.  The days are tough when my muse shuts down and my inner editor shakes her head in disappointment; although, it seems a bad day is followed by a truly inspired one, when the words pour out with the effortlessness of the Niagara River over the Falls.  Deep down, I know I have to trust the process.  The journey of achievement is more rewarding than its destination.

Today, my heart is with the Chilean miners and their families.  Their ordeal of isolation and fear is nearly over, as the healing process begins.  As with all our life's journeys, they will get through it with patience and faith.


Happy writing, all....

   





20 comments:

Lindsay said...

Okay, now you've just inspired me.

My heart is with the miners and their families as well. They are braver than I could ever be.

LTM said...

that is a fantastic insight Nicole and well timed for me. Thanks, honey! :o)

Jemi Fraser said...

Lovely. It's been such a harrowing experience for those poor families! So glad to see them reach the surface. :)

Unknown said...

This is wonderful, and perfectly timed, thank you for sharing! My hearts with their families!

Tamika: said...

I needed this today:) With all the self imposed deadlines to perform it feels good to be admonished to simply enjoy the journey.

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss nicole! that was so hard for those miners and their families. i saw them coming up today on the news. did you hear one said there was a extra miner down there with them and that was god and thats what gave them that patience and faith.
...hugs from lenny

Laurel Garver said...

Great post. Patience is one of those going-extinct virtures that the ancients believed one needed to nurture to have a truly "good life." Keeping steady, forward motion isn't glamorous. It doesn't provide instant rewards, but it's the only way to succeed.

How much of our unhappiness in the writing journey comes from lack of patience? Too much, I think!

Elizabeth Poole said...

I sooooooo needed to hear this right now! Thank you so much! It's tough, especially on the Internet, not to get caught up in where everyone else is. My problem is when I am passionate about something, like my writing, I throw myself into it and give it everything I have. So sometimes the longing to be published, to have an agent, to have other people read my work gets to be too much.

But you are right. Part of this is the journey, and I wouldn't change any of the steps I have taken to improve my writing, and when the time comes, and I get an agent and published, I will be ready for it because of this journey.

Thank for the post and have a great day!

Lola Sharp said...

Oh, I am So with you...I sobbed last night and this morning...mostly tears of joy for those minors. (I was SO worried if it didn't go well.) Their families have been camped out for all this time, steadfast. I heart those Chileans.

Patience and faith, indeed.

Love you, Nic. (hope you are having fun right now on your lunch date with my other love. :)

*hugs*

Little Ms J said...

I can't imagine what it must have been like to be trapped for ten weeks in that small space. They all seemed very resilient and upbeat. Very inspiring.

Jai Joshi said...

This is such a happy time for the miners and their families. I watched the first man be brought to the top last night and it was incredible. And the Chilean paramedics who were sent down the mine first were true heroes. Imagine going all the way down there to a dark pit, not knowing if you'll come back up again. Wow. It's inspiring to know there are brave souls like that out there ready to help others.

Patience and faith. Truly beautiful words, Nicole.

Jai

Belle said...

Beautiful post. Trust the process - it's always so good to remember that.

Christine Danek said...

I needed this. Patience is something I have been learning. Today, I sort of got upset because nothing is going right and my revisions are twisting my head into a pretzel. I must be patient because it's all worth it, right?
My heart goes out to all the families in Chile.
Thanks.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're right - it's the journey that matters.

May all the miners reach the surface safely.

Hannah said...

And you just solidified my number one reason for bloging. You all inspire me every day to keep writing, to keep improving, to keep the faith.

I thank you.

DL Hammons said...

You...missy...are a cut above! 'Nuff said!!

N. R. Williams said...

I agree with you and also hope the miners are all safe.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Jessica Bell said...

What a beautiful post. I just 'knew', the second I discovered your blog, that you were something special and someone I wanted to get to know. And BOY was I right! Nicole, no matter how disappointed in yourself you feel, just know that there are people out there, (like me), that will help you kick your butt into gear and tell you how silly you are being for doubting yourself. You are warm, kind-hearted, talented, and above all, someone many of us would regret not knowing. This touched my heart. YOU touch my heart. So, THANK YOU for being such a wonderful part of MY life, and inspiring me with post like this. Sending you hugs through the universe ...

Jennifer Shirk said...

Well said, Nicole. I totally agree. :)
Happy writing to you too.

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Patience and faith! Very nice to come across this today