Friday, September 3, 2010

Paranormalcy Conest Entry & Book Recs Galore!

[My entry for Kiersten White's At Home with Paranormalcy Contest is at the bottom of this post!]

Last night as I was cooking dinner, I realized it was September 2nd.  Normally, I know the date earlier in the day!  But this has been another busy week that's left me reeling in its wake.  (That's my story, at least, and I'm sticking to it.)  So why was I suddenly excited, as September 2nd seeped into my overloaded brain?  That's the date Amazon said my order would arrive.  I rushed out to the mailbox.

And there they were.  Not just a box from Amazon, but also an envelop from Shannon Messenger!


In Shannon's envelop was the ARC of Kathy Reichs' newest book, Virals, with a release date of November 2010.  I won this in one of Shannon's recent contests, which totally rocked my world -- and I didn't even know at the time that it was SIGNED.  Yes!  I'm a big Kathy Reichs fan, so having this ARC is sooo cool.  Thanks, Shannon!!!!



In the Amazon box was Nightshade City, by the lovely Hilary Wagner.  I have been anxiously awaiting this book.  Hilary is the kindest blogger/writer out there, and her artistic energy is evident in everything she writes.  As many of you know, Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series endorsed this book with a praising testimonial on the back cover.  How exciting for a debut author!!!  Way to go, Hilary, and I can't wait to read you book!


And the second book in my Amazon box was Kiersten White's breakout novel, Paranormalcy.  The buzz surrounding this book across the blogosphere and in major bookstores is incredible.  I read four pages of chapter one as I cooked dinner, and I was immediately hooked by main character Evie's voice.  She's funny, confident, bold, and exactly the kind of heroine I want to get behind and root for to the end.  I can't wait to read this one, as well!

Kiersten is having a contest on her blog (you can enter, too. HERE's the link).  In her words: "...until September 12th, you can enter the At Home with Paranormalcy contest! It's pretty simple. Buy Paranormalcy, take it home, and take a picture of yourself doing something with the book."  (And she gives hilarious examples to help inspire you)


So, here is my entry for Kiersten's contest! 


Me, cooking dinner with Paranormalcy!


And, don't miss out on the great prizes in these contest:

Theresa Milstein at Substitute Teachers Saga is giving away a SIGNED copy of Mockingjay!!  Seriously!  How awesome is she to share the spoils of her two-hour wait in line and let us help her celebrate her first blogging anniversary with this awesome contest??  CLICK HERE to enter before September 6th!

Jamie Burch at Dancing Down Serendipity Street is hosting the Moon Chasers Contest, with a prize package you won't want to miss (it includes chocolate, fyi).  CLICK HERE to enter before September 7th!

And Sarah Ahiers at Falen Formulates Fiction is celebrating her 200+ followers with a contest offering beautiful handmade journals for prizes.  Enter a poem for extra entries!  CLICK HERE for details before September 17th!


Do you know any contests I haven't mentioned?  Pimp them in the comment section.  Thanks in advance!

Happy Labor Day weekend, y'all!

18 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

Thanks for mentioning my Mockingjay contest!

Look at you cooking and reading. Don't get so engrossed you burn your food!

I want to read Paranormalcy.

Kelsey (Dominique) Ridge said...

Thanks for the linkage. I'm very jealous your copy of Para has arrived, since Amazon is still using mine to torture me. Have a great weekend. :)

Talli Roland said...

What a great haul!

Nicole, how can you look so gorgeous cooking? Good Lord woman! You're beautiful!

Summer Frey said...

I love to read while I cook. :) My copy of Paranormalcy is on my Kindle, so I don't know if I'd get to qualify...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great photo! Enjoy your weekend.

Sarah Ahiers said...

aww! Thanks for the shoutout!
And i'm working on my contest entry for Kiersten right now. Are you also entering Natalie Whipple's contest?

Zoe C. Courtman said...

ha! That's a great entry!! :D

Lola Sharp said...

Love the picture!

Congrats on your winnings from Shannon. :)

Have a fabulous holiday weekend!
Love you,
Lola

Lisa_Gibson said...

Love you cooking dinner with Paranormalcy! :) So funny. Thanks for the great links.
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

Carolyn V. said...

Hee hee. Awesome! Cooking with Paranormalcy. That is so cool. Have a great weekend Nicole!

Hilary Wagner said...

Nicole! First off, love your picture and I totally agree with Talli on the gorgeous comment! ;) I love your entry--that's awesome!

Thanks so much for the super sweet mention! Can't wait to hear what your think of the rats!

I hope you and everyone else enjoys the holiday weekend!!

xoxo -- Hilary

Nicole Zoltack said...

Wow I wish I looked as good as you when cooking. I'm usually still in my pjs! But I blame that on my 4 week old not letting me sleep enough at night.

And I'm running a contest: http://nicolezoltack.blogspot.com/2010/08/100-followers-contest_15.html

Jemi Fraser said...

Great pic - I want to look like that when I cook! :)

Those are 3 fabulous books! I want to get my hands on all of them :)

N. R. Williams said...

If I tried to read and cook the book would have all manner of foods stuck to it. I'm just going to link on over to all those folks and learn more. Thanks, Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Julie Musil said...

That picture is hilarious! Love it.

storyqueen said...

Don't drop the book in the pot!!

Great picture!

(Can't wait to read Nightshade City!)

Hannah said...

haha! That's awesome. I don't have Paranormalcy yet but it is so much fun to see all the pics.

Kristal Shaff said...

So is Paranormalcy a good cook?