Monday, September 13, 2010

The Heroine Within

Artwork by the talented Marsha Maklaut

The protagonist has to be more than the main character of the novel.  She must be the heroine.  She needs to conquer her fears, rise above all adversity, and succeed despite insurmountable odds.  By the end of the novel, the protagonist should contrast significantly with her pre-evolved self, introduced in chapter one.

When the protagonist steps onto the book's stage in her opening scene, she will be riddled with the conflicts upon which the plot is launched.  It's important to present her in a way that makes the reader want to embrace her.

What happens in real life when you meet someone who is depressed?  Or bitter?  Or openly hostile with the world?  Does she make you want to hang out with her, get to know her better?  Probably not.  Unless...you see yourself in her.  If you can identify with her suffering, understand it in a way that generates a sense of camaraderie and puts you in her camp, then a relationship is born.  The same is true in fiction.

Craft the protagonist with at least one heroic characteristic.  No matter how damaged, afraid, prejudiced, or beaten down the character is, plant in her the quality she will need to succeed in the book's ultimate climactic scene.  Find at least one way, in the first chapter, for the protagonist to show a glimmer of this quality.

We want to read about heroes and heroines.  Hell, we want to be heroes and heroines.  Give the readers a main character to cheer on.  Let them see a little of themselves in the protagonist, a little of the hero inside.  Believe me, they will keep turning the page.  





29 comments:

Christine Fonseca said...

Interesting! And something I've been thinking about in my current WiP a lot. Thanks for your insight.

Jennifer Shirk said...

So true!!

I think Susan Elizabeth Phillips is a master at creating a MC I really do not like at first. But then all of a sudden the character redeems herself and I'm cheering her on before I know it. :)

Unknown said...

I like that comment: Your hero needs to a least have on heroic trait. That's a great way to look at it.
CD

Hannah said...

You are so right! Great post.

I've been struggling a bit with my MC, I need her to be more relatable. And if I need that, I'm sure my readers will!

Matthew MacNish said...

So true! Thanks Nicole. In my novel the growth of the MC is almost the main plot arc, not quite, but almost. Thanks for the reminder about how important it is.

Jaydee Morgan said...

I totally agree with you that your protagonist needs to be the hero/heroine of the story. I feel like mine is, however, whether she succeeds at the end or not is another story ;)

Will Burke said...

I like the comparison to people we meet; a nice graphic illustration that helps flesh-out our characters!

Michelle Gregory said...

great reminder. i didn't find out how she had to grow and change until this latest draft.

Jessica Bell said...

Definitely! I know we all say, 'but that's not how it always is in real life'. Of course not. It's a novel. People want to escape real life, so we have to incorporate a glimpse of what we WISH real life to include!

LTM said...

this is an awesome post Nicole, and totally true! good stuff~

Nicole Zoltack said...

Great pic.

Heroines have to be relateable. Readers want to place themselves into the hero or heroines' shoes. I'm struggling a little with that in my MS, namely because the FMC is an assassin. She undergoes a huge character development arc but at first, she's kinda of stuck up and narcissistic and gun-ho about killing. Just may have to tune her down a tad, we'll see.

Terry Stonecrop said...

Love that pic, too. And good advice!

I'm very aware of this because it is imperative in noir, even noir lite:)

Talli Roland said...

Great point, Nicole. Thank you for the coherent, clear advice!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm hoping I did just that with the 'hero' in my book.

Private said...

I agree with Clarissa - A likable protagonist is a must!

Also, I can't believe I'm not following you! I thought I was *bows head in shame*...

Kimberly Franklin said...

Great info! Thanks for sharing. Another thing I must keep in mind while writing my MC. :)

Carolyn V. said...

That is great info! I agree with the hero having one heroic trait, also they need a flaw. Thanks Nicole. =)

Luna said...

Great advice! I will keep this in mind as I go through my first chapter later. Thank you!

Lindsay said...

Great post, Nicole. Now I'm off to focus on my heroines heroic trait :)

Vicki Rocho said...

LOVE the pic you chose.

Great advice...one more thing to check as I'm writing...

DL Hammons said...

Well said...but then when do you ever say anything poorly.

Love the pic also!!

Anonymous said...

I do check if the MC has changed from beginning to end. Wonderful advice, Nicole.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Absolutely! You said this so well. Thanks for your clear thoughts; it's helpful to see it put out just like this.

Samantha Vérant said...

I love bitter, depressed people. And I'm kidding. Give me a cape! Call me wonder woman. I want to write about heroes and heroines...and I want to be one.

Jemi Fraser said...

Great advice! We all do want to have those heroic qualities - and they sure make it fun to read about :)

Jai Joshi said...

Yes I agree. When I'm creating my characters I think of them as having one greatest strength that can make them succeed but also one fatal flaw that could make them fail. That way there is tension for the reader because they don't know what will be stronger in the end - the greatest strength or the fatal flaw.

Jai

Jai Joshi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jai Joshi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stina said...

Great advice, Nicole. I've read books where the teen protagonist is depressed, but there's still something about her--usually voice--that makes you want to keep reading.