Saturday, September 18, 2010

!00% Satisfaction


The key to satisfaction in life is achieving what you set out to do.  Set goals, and work hard to reach them.  Sounds simple, right?

It can be, if you keep a couple things in mind:

1.  Dream big, but keep your goals realistic.  What can you manage to accomplish in a day, given all the responsibilities you shoulder?  Set goals that will challenge you, but which can be met with hard work and motivation.

2.  Track your goals.  Write them down or create an electronic file where what you 'planned to do' and what you 'did do' are logged.  It is amazing how concrete your progress become when it is "official" and documented.

3.  Turn off FaceBook and Twitter while you work towards your goals.  How can you put 100% of your effort into a task when TweetDeck is chiming a new tweet every 15 to 30 seconds?  Each time your eye strays to the FaceBook tab and you see parenthesis signaling a notification, you disengage from your primary task.  Cell phone and land line should be silenced too.


Working toward your goals means budgeting your time and concentrating all your effort on the task at hand.  Factor in your downtime, when  you will check in with your social media and visit blogs.  Remember to eat and exercise -- those things are important too!

And when you achieve your goals, the sense of satisfaction is immense.  You feel like you're in the driver's seat of your life, in charge, going to that place where you've always pictured yourself.

Go on.  Become that person you dream about.  Get those goals!


[Thanks for reading!  I'd like to recommend your next blog stop:  Vicki Rocho at Rambles & Randomness shared a short, must-see video about a most unexpected brilliant mind.  I promise you, you won't be able to turn it off.  Click here for the link -->  Grab Your Tissues....AMAZING]


Have a wonderful weekend!





31 comments:

Al said...

Great motivational post.
Hope it's working for you too :-)

Will Burke said...

Wise words, and a solid reminder. There's always time, if you cut-out some useless activity!

Anne Gallagher said...

I totally had to laugh when I read this post. Not AT you, but AT myself.

I don't FB or Tweet. I don't have multiple accounts on the bottom of my screen.

My goal has been to finish my ms. Therefore, my house is a WRECK, the laundry has piled up, and the kitchen looks like a bomb hit it. My goal is to finish the book, I can't be sidetracked. LOL
Dust bunnies unite!

Gretchen Griffith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gretchen Griffith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica Bell said...

Yep! I get distracted by those things too. Ususally. But then critique partners like you come along, and I don't have to worry about it anymore because I'm so enthralled by your writing that I can't look away from your ms!!!!

Renae said...

What great advice! Those things are all wonderful distractions.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TrulyBillEve said...

This is one of those special times when you read something and feel like it's written especially for you! Thanks for the awesome advice!

Unknown said...

That's some great advice and I like the bit about Twitter and Facebook. It's true, when you accomplish your goals, it's the best feeling.

CD

Ann said...

Great advice here. I agree 100%! All I have to do is implement the above points. I am more of do as I say not as I do type of personality. How does one fit in all the blog reading I ask you?

Travener said...

Interesting, thanks.

Glynis Peters said...

Good advice. I have turned off Tweetdeck and Facebook. I found them too distracting. I pop in now and then to keep up with friends.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Turning off Internet! And phone - happy to do that!

storyqueen said...

Tracking goals is the hardest part.....I put some of my writing goals on my blog just so I will remember them!

Shelley

Lola Sharp said...

But, but, but...unplugging is HARD!

Ann Best said...

Two days ago I decided to turn on the computer only once a day for not more than an hour. There IS a life beyond Blogger, Facebook, and Twitter (the latter I don't do). I'm now doing more reading and writing.

Good post!
Ann

LTM said...

you're absolutely right, Nicole! must... turn off... gmail notifier... but it's hard! Still, so much time is easily wasted~ thanks, :o)

Theresa Milstein said...

I need a little motivation. Thanks!

That's why I won't get a Twitter account. I don't want anything else distracting me from my goal - writing!

I hope your writing is going well.

Christine Danek said...

Distractions stink. They are the prime thing that gets me off my schedule. Great motivation. I need it. THanks!

Jai Joshi said...

It's so true, Nicole. I'm always the most satisfied and happy when I know I've met my goal for the day. It's a great motivational tool.

Jai

DL Hammons said...

Can I stop going to work too? Please, please, say yes!! :)

Julie Dao said...

How did you know that this was exactly what I needed to read? :) You're wonderful - thank you for these motivating, inspiring words. So necessary sometimes. Hope you had a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Dream big, but keep your goals realistic: a very important piece of advice.

Great post! I always feel inspired when I read a post like this. :)

Anonymous said...

You...you mean...I should turn Twitter off when I'm writing? How will I update people on my accomplishments, then? What will I do with myself if I can't tweet, "W00T! Just wrote another sentence. This one's good!"

I, uh, guess I could always just write another sentence on the WIP. Hm. Novel idea, that. ;)

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog! I genuinely love how it' s easy on my eyes as well as the info are well written. I am wondering how I may be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which should do the trick! Have a nice day!

Unknown said...

Hi Anonymous!! Thank so much for stopping in and subscribing to the RSS feed. You rock! I appreciate the kind words and look forward to your future visits :))

Luna said...

Thank you for this post! I'm focusing on goals this week, hoping to get back on track and stay that way.

Definitely need to unplug more often and watch even less TV. Have to find a routine that balances it all and then stick with it.

Have a lovely week!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Jose Ramon Santana Vazquez said...

...traigo
sangre
de
la
tarde
herida
en
la
mano
y
una
vela
de
mi
corazón
para
invitarte
y
darte
este
alma
que
viene
para
compartir
contigo
tu
bello
blog
con
un
ramillete
de
oro
y
claveles
dentro...


desde mis
HORAS ROTAS
Y AULA DE PAZ


TE SIGO TU BLOG




CON saludos de la luna al
reflejarse en el mar de la
poesía...


AFECTUOSAMENTE
NICOLE

ESPERO SEAN DE VUESTRO AGRADO EL POST POETIZADO DE CACHORRO, FANTASMA DE LA OPERA, BLADE RUUNER Y CHOCOLATE.

José
Ramón...