Monday, August 2, 2010

~H.A.P.P.Y D.A.N.C.E~


7:10 a.m., and the house is quiet.  And it isn't because the children are snug in their beds, dreaming of carefree summer bliss.

The beds are already made.

Any dreaming of carefree summer bliss is happening on the school bus.

That's right, the children have gone back to school...and now my vacation begins.  Just kidding!  Sorry if I sound a bit giddy.  And please don't misunderstand.  It isn't that I haven't enjoyed my children immensely this summer.  I have!  It's been one of the best on record.  But, this schedule-oriented, deadline-loving, early-to-bed-early-to-rise, muggy weather-hating, I-need-silence-to-work writer is doing the happy dance today!

Back to business as usual.  And the first step is:

Re-evaluate my goals for 2010.

I approach the year in two five-month blocks.  Think about it.  On January first, it's easy to look the year to come straight on, as a twelve month entity.  But summer derails all my best-intended goals.

In reality, I'm on-track in all aspects of my life (my writing, the housework, my health and fitness routine, etc.) from January through May.  Then, school lets out -- and all hell breaks loose -- for summer break.

We sleep in, sometimes staying in our jammies until it's time to put the swim suits on and head for the pool.  We eat Cheez-Its and Diet Coke for lunch.  I put baskets of clean, badly-wrinkled laundry back in the dryer, because I never get around to folding the clothes the same day I wash them. Every evening I remember I didn't take meat out of the freezer, so I dash to the store to buy steaks for dinner.  We start a feature-length movie at 8:30 at night, eat dinner on the living room coffee table in front of the TV, finish the dishes at 11:30, shoo the kids off to bed by midnight, and finally fall into bed in the wee hours -- only to get up late the next morning and do it all over again.

And my WiP gathers dust in the binder where I put it, back when I was preparing for the trip to France.

But today begins the second five-month block of 2010.  August through December sees the return to normalcy around here.  My beloved daily schedule resumes!  (*fist pump*)

So, re-evaluation time.  I took pages of notes in France, for a new story floating around the edges of my mind.  But I won't turn my attention there just yet.  First things first.  I'm sticking to my original deadline of finishing the first draft of Overcome by November first.  I want to attend the Georgia Writers Association's Red Clay Writer's Conference on November 6th with a completed manuscript in hand.  So I need to write, on the WiP, e.v.e.r.y.d.a.y.

Also, I need to get my @ss back in the gym.  I've managed to maintain my weight, more or less, this summer, but my muscle tone is disappearing.  I can't wait to get my sweat on.

This week, I'm easing into things.  Organizing my desk, mopping a sticky floor here and there, actually planning a couple meals.  Tomorrow I hit the gym with Lorri.  (But afterwards, we're heading over to a friend's pool where she's hosting a "Our Kids Are Back In School Let's Drink Margaritas and Celebrate Party.")

And I'm going to write.  At least 500 words.  E.V.E.R.Y.D.A.Y.

By next week, I should be completely transitioned back to my regularly scheduled life.

What are your goals this week?  Please share -- it'll help me to feed off your motivation energies!

41 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

Because I am trying to finish up the WIP I took this weekend to write up a whole new series for the blog IN THEIR OWN WORDS (remember when E.Elle did it on hers awhile back). Character sketches I'm going to post every Monday Wednesday and Friday, so I'll be able to write every day and I won't have to worry about losing friends from my blog.

I still need to email you.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad the kids are in school and you have your life back! My goal - 5000 words on my current WIP.

Summer Frey said...

I go through this same roller coaster every weekend. :) Except it's just my husband derailing me...

I'm still blowing about in the wind, since I'm not sure what's going to be happening with school this fall yet; once I know, I think I'll feel a lot better, organizationally speaking.

Lindsay said...

Glad you've got some time to yourself again. :)
My goal this week is to finish two more chapters of my wip. I say two because any extra I do then is a plus. lol.

LTM said...

the writer in me is jealous jealous jealous. We're still eating cheezits for lunch at my house--my hot house b/c in record breaking temps the AC went out.

My goal: get the a/c fixed! :D

Laurel Garver said...

Sigh. I have another month plus before we're back into the school routine. But your summer DID sound very relaxed, fun and re-energizing. Hope the break pays off in renewed creativity!

My goal this week is to send of a few more queries and finish polishing the synopsis, should I get any partial requests. I also need to get the house cleaned for guests coming this weekend.

Southpaw said...

Summer is a big derailer (is that a word?). I didn’t think it would be this year, but it was. This week I’m getting back to writing, one way or another!

Lydia Kang said...

My goals this week are to go visit blogs. I've been busy writing and neglecting my blog friends.
(*waves*)
Anyway, it sounds like you've got a great plan!

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss nicole! sounds like you got all out of breath in the summer. wow cheezit and coke for lunch. cool! my writing goal for this week is to get back to fixing up my dragonfly story. and im gonna hit a home run in my baseball game! :)
...hugs from lenny

Wendy Ramer, Author said...

Where in the world do you live where your kids are back in school on Aug. 2nd? Do you have year-round schooling? Mine don't go back till Aug. 23rd.

Liza said...

We have another month until back to school...

Good luck with reaching your deadlines.

Lola Sharp said...

Mine doesn't go back to school until after Labor Day. *sigh*
I'm green with envy. And ugly shade of green.

I haven't had an hour to myself since mid-June.

I'm all out of sorts and derailed.

We consider walking out the backdoor and hopping in the pool a shower. And we just wear the clothes wrinkled.

Enjoy, you lucky duck. :)

Love,
Lola

James Garcia Jr said...

Okay, Nicole, I will share. I am starting week 2 of my 2 week vacation. This week my focuses are painting some or all of the three rooms yet unpainted in my house; writing one blog post for me and one blog for Wicked Writers; and getting fellow Vamplit Publishing author, Timothy Hobbs's book, "The Pumpkin Seed" read. Time permitting, I would love to start reading Justine Cronin's "The Passage". I read a sample that I dowloaded for my Kindle and it looks very good.
Good luck with your schedule.

Laura S. said...

Your kids start school so early! Here school starts the last week of August or the first week in September. But they aren't done until the beginning to middle of June. I suppose your kids are done in May?

Enjoy your writing time, Nicole!!!

Theresa Milstein said...

Congrats on your new child-free time. Your goals sound reasonable, so I'm sure you'll achieve them.

As for my goals, get ready for the BlogHer conference on Saturday, send out several more queries, and dust off the WIP I began in May, and continue from chapter 2.

Oh, and I should probably be less flabby. Back to yoga and biking.

Unknown said...

Wow, my kids don't go back to school until Sept 8.

Happy writing!

KA said...

I've only got about three weeks until mine go back. My oldest, anyway. My second is starting part-time preschool and my youngest is still tiny.

Anonymous said...

My only goal is to cook a good dinner tomorrow night, so I've got to A.) find a recipe, and B.) drive to the Asian market.

Good luck with your writing! You shall overcome Overcome. ;]

Natalie said...

My writing life derails during the summer too. It's just too hard to write with ALL 3 kids at home and crazy all day. When school starts again all of them will be in school at least a few hours a day. Hopefully the baby will want to sleep for a few hours too and I can start getting stuff done again.

I have no goals until the summer is over. If I can write a page or two every week I feel pretty good about myself.

Terry Stonecrop said...

My goal this week is to do whatever I can.

I'm glad you're happily back on schedule:)

Anonymous said...

My goal is to finish a complete rough draft by the end of August. In order to meet that goal, I have to put in 850 words a day minimum. (see me cringe)

Unknown said...

GO YOU!!!! Get going on those goals of yours!

This week I plan on revising & re-writing the first five pages of my novel!!! Well I just finished post-it reviews, now onto the next :)

Mary Aalgaard said...

Wow. What state do you live in where they take them back to school the first of Aug? In MN, we wait until AFTER Labor Day. Ahh! This week, I need to buy a new laptop, then I'm back to working on my drama. Otherwise, we're still in summer routine/non-routine here.

Little Ms J said...

I. want. your. summer. Man, I was jealous just reading about it! I do hope you stick to the 500 a day! That's a great goal!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your plans, and that you'll have time and space to carry them out.

I'm trying to fast draft a new wip before I have to get back to teaching.

Summer Ross said...

"Happy dance" Wow- I thought I was the only one to use that reference! :)

Unknown said...

Hope you are keeping up with your writing goal.
I love the holiday but having everyone around gets right in the way of the writing. I was getting more done while I was holding down the day job.

Christina Lee said...

Wow back to school??? What a dream!! I am revising my little heart out and could use the extra time!

Candice said...

Every season has it's perks. Your summer schedule sounds like mine. My goals for the week are pack my house so it will be ready for the movers next week. Along with that is a find a house in a city that is 1200 miles away without ever visiting. Then school starts Aug 30th and I will be home alone for several hours a day! Let the writing begin!

DL Hammons said...

Can I come live at your house next summer???? Pretty Please??

I have no doubt you'll fall back into a routine quickly and start spitting out those words in no time!!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

We still have two weeks left of summer, and I'm trying to savor them. When the kids go back to school, so do I. And despite the fact that my writing life is FAR more productive during the school year, I've enjoyed my lazy days. :-)

Anonymous said...

I plan on writing at least 2K more words on the WIP, wiring a new outlet in the basement for the chest freezer, sheetrocking half the attic ceiling so I can have a semi-finished room up there, mow the lawn, halfway keep up with blog reading, prepare a submission for a contest, submit a few short stories to various markets, ride my bike to work a few times, and, erm, sleep a bit. Maybe not so much of that last thing, though.

:D

Good luck in the next half of the year, good lady!

Belle said...

This is the perfect post for me today - I was just thinking the same thing, that I've been slacking off from my writing for too long. And I really need to do something about it! It's time to sit down and commit to a writing goal (again). Thanks for the nudge!

Samantha Bennett said...

I love lazy summers! Good luck during your goal-focused fall!

Shelley Sly said...

I echo the others that have said that your schools start early! I'm used to first week of September being back-to-school time (but since moving to another state, it's late August). Anyway, I hear you about getting a routine back and kicking some butt on that WIP! Best of luck to you -- you can do it, Nicole! :D

Julie Musil said...

Kids in school already? Oh my gosh! Mine still have one month to go. I'm enjoying the lazy part of it all, but yes, a structured day is much better for getting things done.

Enjoy your new freedom!

WritingNut said...

My goal for this week? I'd like to put in 8k by the end of Sunday.

Good luck with your goals!

Jai Joshi said...

Enjoy the peace and quiet at home with the kids at school. I fantasise about having the house to myself but it never happens.

Jai

Sarah Callejo said...

Why are they back in school in the middle of the summer? Mine don't go back until the 8th Sept. But it does mean I get 30 mins more sleep a day which in turn means I don't fall asleep on the keyboard.

Hannah said...

I have a couple short pieces to edit. Getting excited for writeoncon next week!! Same ol same ol here.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site nicoleducleroir.blogspot.com
Is this possible?