Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Testing, testing!

In 1997, after I'd been a French resident for one year, I was no longer eligible for auto insurance with my international driver's license.  If I wanted to maintain my covereage, I had to get my French driver's licence.

And I was nervous.

 Everyone had a story.  Failed attempts, outrageous amounts of money spent, conspiracy theories. From what I could understand, given my fledgling language proficiency, I was screwed.

There are two tests to pass in order to obtain your French driver's licence.  The first is a written test, called Le Code de la Route.  The second is the driving test, called Le Permis de Conduire.  To take both tests, you must be a student of l'auto Ã©cole, or driving school.

The problems began when I enrolled.  The school's administrator wanted me to surrender my New York State driver's licence.  I politely refused.  So she said we'd have to consider me a new driver, in that case, and I wouldn't be able to drive for the next two years without being accompanied by a licensed driver.  Grrrr.  My husband took over the conversation at that point, much of which I couldn't follow, and in the end he convinced her that my fifteen years driving experience -- documented by the date on my NY licence -- should exempt me from the status of jeune conductrice.

I was required to attend twenty hours of classroom instruction at l'auto Ã©cole.  During our sessions, the instructor taught us the rules of the road by projecting a series of images on a screen.  Each image was a photograph, shot out a windshield, from the vantage point of the driver.  Based on what we observed in the photo, we had to answer the question.  Incidentally, the actual written test was in this same format:  75 multiple choice questions, each based on photographs projected in the test gallery.  Test takers had thirty seconds to respond by pressing the button corresponding to their answer choice on a handheld voting device, before the next photograph/question was shown.


Here's an example.  Based on this photo, we can tell the driver is merging onto an auto-route (the car is doing 80 kph and accelerating, since the rpm needle is reaching 2.5).  There is a bifurcation (junction where two auto-routes [41 and 1] cross) coming up, as indicated by the large blue sign.  The engine is cool (gauge on the right) and the gas tank is three-quarters full (gauge on the left).  It isn't raining, so the maximum speed limit for this road is 130 kmp.  (If it were raining, the max speed would be 110.)

The test question could have been anything, but in just thirty seconds you would have to appraise all the clues in this photo and choose the correct answer, before the image changed.  If you missed more than 6 out of 75 questions, you failed.

Somehow, I was one of less that half that passed the day I took le code de la route.  I don't have any French friends, including my husband, who passed the first time they took it.

Next hurdle: the driving test.  The number of hours you must practice driving with an instructor before you're eligible to take the test depends on your level of expertise.  Since I'd been driving for a long time, I was only obligated to practice maneuvers with an instructor for a total of 8 hours.  Thank goodness, because they charged a lot per hour.  Of course, I was still nervous because although I'd been a licensed driver since I was sixteen, I'd only driven automatic cars.  The stick shift was a challenge, especially when attempting three point turns, parallel parking, and stopping and starting on hills.  (I love the message on this bumper:  Calages Fréquents -- Frequent Stalls.)

Nonetheless, I nailed the test and now have my French driver's licence for life.  That's right.  No expiration date, no need to renew or update (unless I change my name, etc.).  But guess how much it cost?



.......hold on to your hat......

When all was said and done, and I'd paid for driving school, driving lessons with the instructors, fees to take the tests, and photo for the licence, the cost was right around $500 USD.

Thank goodness I'll have it for life!

Leave me a comment and earn one entry in my Vive la France! Contest.



30 comments:

Wendy Ramer, Author said...

OK, for the first time since your French posts, I can't say I get it. During my two years in Spain, I didn't drive (living in a walking city). And I was only in Italy for one year, driving a Fiat Panda with my Int'l license. So I never had to go there...thank God! However, I will say that driving in Italy is a cultural lesson all its own well worth more than $500. When I returned to the States, my husband had to tell me to stop being so aggressive on the roads ;-)

clutterbug said...

Congratulations!!! $500 US is about $700 Aus ... a whole bunch of money anyway.

I was really intrigued with the type of test (the images on a screen etc) ... are they like that in the US? In Aus the written tests are on a piece of paper. You fail, you have to wait for another day to take it again... but it still costs you if you don't pass.

Theresa Milstein said...

$500?! Amazing. I'm glad you passed and it lasts forever, but that's a lot of money!

Unknown said...

Do you ever have to renew it? That's a whole lot of work!!! At least you do have it for life!!!

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

Wow that is really scary! If I go live in France, I will probably walk LOL! I've been licensed in the U.S. since I was 16 too, but I don't know how to drive a stick shift AT ALL.

Summer Frey said...

I think I hyperventilated a little reading this post. :-) Thank goodness I did my driving stuffs when I was 15/16, before I started realizing that I'm a nervous driver and passenger. :-)

Jaydee Morgan said...

Having to go through all that would make me stop driving all together. But congrats on a job well done and having that license for life!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

It's so crazy, isn't it? I went through something very similar when I moved to the UK. I knew I'd have to get my UK license after a year, but I put it off for as long as possible because the testing is so difficult and stressful--but like you, I'll have my UK license for life. Err, until I'm 70 anyway. Which is nice, because the driving tests were the hardest I've ever taken.

Congrats on the significant achievement, hon! Well done!

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss nicole! wow you sure got sticktoittiveness! ha ha. how could it cost so much just to drive there. im glad you got it for life. i wonder since all the drivers do all this stuff fo get a license if theres not much accidents.

Liza said...

A license for life? Hmmm. What happend if someone goes blind, or has a strok and loses their mobility but still chooses to drive. At first I was thinking it was a good thing that the French are so strick...but a license for a lifetime? That could be a very long time.

Janet Johnson said...

I didn't know you were a French citizen. How cool! But oh my. That process made me nervous and I won't ever have to do it.

Congrats on passing so "quickly"!

Cherie Reich said...

Well, $500 probably isn't too bad for a license that lasts for life.

It still sounds pretty horrible on what you have to do to get it, though.

Congrats on passing it so quickly!

Deniz Bevan said...

Congratulations!
I still don't have a license and I'm 30 (gak!). On the other hand, 500$ sounds like nothing to me, since the licenses here in Montreal cost more than that, what with the ecole and the test and so on factored in *and* you have to pay to renew them every few years.

Anissa said...

They do take their driving seriously in Europe! It took my Dutch cousin years to get her license.

Glad to hear you have it for life. :)

Laura S. said...

I read about this on someone else's blog. I can't remember whose blog, but I bet you're a follower, too! A blogger from France was recently going through the French driving license process. Yeesh! So complicated! I'm glad you have it for life. That's definitely a fair exchange for all the money, stress, and worry you put into obtaining it!

Are the French excellent drivers after all that? They should be!

Lisa_Gibson said...

Oh my gosh, I would be beyond nervous too! It's great it doesn't have to be renewed etc. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

That's a lot of money! Although I guess my kids' driving courses were a little more than that when they turned 16. Seems odd to go through all that as a seasoned driver. Wow!

Travener said...

Tres cher!

Zoe C. Courtman said...

Congratulations!!! Man, that sounds like SUCH a process! But glad you made it!! Oh, and I'm trying to put together a tiny shindig for any blogger/writers in Georgia (with relative proximity to Atlanta). Are you in the area at all? If so, check out my blog and let me know if it sounds interesting :D I'm trying to build an offline writing community as well as the ONLINe one!

Pat Tillett said...

Congratulations on that! I would gladly pay 500 US, to never have to go to the department of motor vehicles in my state ever again...
Your posts are very interesting!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds like a pain in the you-know-what! At least I know how to drive a shift, but that might be my only advantage.

Anonymous said...

Geez, that sounds all complicated. Maybe I'll skip the French driver's license thing and just steal motorcycles the next time I'm there. :)

DL Hammons said...

It must be my school days coming back to haunt me...but anytime I see a piece of paper with a large F on it...I get depressed. :(

Anonymous said...

Going through all that and paying that much, it better be for life, right? Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Hrm, how irritating! But like you said, even if the driver's license was expensive, it has no expiration date. Wish they did that in the States...

Mary Aalgaard said...

Congrats! What a hurdle to jump over.

sarahjayne smythe said...

Hee! I honestly don't know if I could pay that much for a driver's license. Though if you think about it, paying for driving school here and then the fees to renew, it's probably more.

MTeacress said...

I'm impressed. I would have become a permanent pedestrian for life, for FREEEEE. :)

Lola Sharp said...

I think that's a bargain. If you think about the costs here...and the time spent at the EVIL DMV, I'd happily pay $500 to get my license one time and never have to go back.
(in NJ you have to get a new picture license every 4 years and the DMV's here have the most unsavory/rude/apathetic employees and the longest lines. I've lived and been licensed in a lot of states, and none of them are enjoyable, but NJ's are the worst. By far.)

Congrats on your lifetime French license.

I'm guessing you're getting home right about now.
I hope your family had a safe journey.
Love,
Lola

Hannah said...

that's a little piece of brilliance right there: licensed for life. Huh. Whodathunk.