Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Literary Nod

I wrote a Tuesday Teaser post a while back, highlighting an excerpt from a creative nonfiction story about my brief kidnapping by Central African rebels.  The story has been entered in a contest since the end of January.  I would link the excerpt here, but I removed it from the post because judging was still underway.

I learned yesterday that In the Face of Danger received an Honorable Mention in the 29th New Millennium Writings Contests, which had a deadline of January 31, 2010.

Whoo-hoo!

Edited and published by Don Williams, here's how the literary magazine introduces itself on its website:  Welcome to New Millennium Writings, a journal filled with vibrant imagery, word-craft and pure story-telling talent. NMW is a Winner of a Golden Press Card Award for Excellence.

And here are some accolades by industry insiders:

“I found this to be one of the most powerful literary experiences I've ever had. For anyone who gives a whit about writing or the human condition,New Millennium Writings should be required reading.” —Kane S. Latranz, Alibi


“Fiction, poetry, and nonfiction that will feed your soul.”—New Pages

“Best Reading for Spring, 2010.”—The Montserrat Review

“The works of the best new authors in fiction, non-fiction and poetry are stunningly presented in each volume.”—Direct Communications

“Highly recommended. NMW is one of our favorite journals.”—Winning Writers


New Millennium Writings has published regularly since 1996, in both the online format and in literary magazine-style bound "book," but in the past years their issues have gone down from biannual to one issue per year.  The first place award winners from the two contests this year will be published in the 2011 issue due out this winter, as well as some honorable mentions.

In the most recent issue, No. 19 (the cover graces this post), only three Nonfiction stories were published.
Going back to issue No. 18 (2008-9), there were six Nonfiction stories published.

Keep your fingers crossed that In the Face of Danger will be published in issue No. 20, coming in Winter 2011!

It's good to feel encouraged; this nod has certainly stoked my fires again.
What's fanned your writing flames lately?

37 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

Congratulations on the Honorable Mention! That's flippin AWESOME!!!!

Aubrie said...

Congrats! I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'll buy the book if they put in your story. :)

Kelly Polark said...

Definitely confirmation that you are doing things right! Writers (well, everyone) needs that every once in a while! Congrats!

Anne Gallagher said...

Congratualtions!!! That is such excellent news! I'm so proud of you!

Matthew MacNish said...

That's really awesome Nicole. Congratulations!

Christi Goddard said...

Congrats! You must be on cloud nine. The only think stoking my fire lately is the fact I'm getting closer to the end of the WIP rather than still being closer to the beginning. The end is near!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS, NICOLE! THAT'S AWESOME! I'M EVEN TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU! IN FACT, I MIGHT EVEN USE MORE THAN ONE EXCLAMATION POINT AT THE END OF THIS SENTENCE IN YOUR HONOR!!!

Really, very well done, good lady. Here's to your honorable mention, and your impending publication! *raises coffee cup*

Jaydee Morgan said...

Wow, congrats and here's keeping my fingers crossed!!

What's keeping my writing flame going lately is a new idea I want to start on. Finish one so I can start another.

Tonya said...

Congratulations! :)

Janet Johnson said...

Totally awesome! Crossing my fingers for you. :)

Summer Frey said...

Yay! Congratulations!
My fire has been sputtering lately; still looking for the bellows...

Cherie Reich said...

Congrats on getting honorable mention!! That's so awesome! And, it's definitely a boost to get something like that.

j.leigh.bailey said...

That is so great! There's nothing like some possitive affirmations to put a little more oomph in your initiative. Such exciting news!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Congratulations Nicole! Don't we need stoking every so often?! Just writing has stoked my fires.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome! Congratulations.

Wendy Ramer, Author said...

So many congratulations to you! (And you know what has stoked my writing fires *big smile*)

Anthony Duce said...

Congratulations.... Your story is really good. It was when I read it before. It's very nice to know others think so too.

Unknown said...

Wow, Nicole, that's so awesome! I'm pulling for you, girl. :) Reading books I love in my genre always gets me revved up to get back to work on my WIP. I read all weekend long and now I'm ready for action!

DL Hammons said...

That is uber-awesome! Congrats to you. I'll have everything crossed for you the rest of the way!! :)

Lisa_Gibson said...

Nicole, that is fabulous! way to go. Totally awesome.

Hannah said...

My new online crit group is fanning my flames. And I have my live crit group tonight so more fans and I will build myself a bonfire! Yay!

Talli Roland said...

That's fantastic Nicole - congrats! I remember that story and I absolutely loved it. Good luck!

Terry Stonecrop said...

Wonderful! Congratulations! And best of luck. Fingers crossed here.

Laura S. said...

Congratulations, Nicole! That's wonderful! I'd love to read your story!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Nicole! I remember reading the post of your story and it was fantastic! I hope that it gets published but even if it doesn't, this is a great accomplishment! :-D

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I have my everything crossed in the hope your work is published. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome!! Congrats! :)

I work with kids who love to read - that always helps keep me excited about writing!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Nicole! An Honorable Mention is terrific!

My writing finally increased yesterday, but I'll say it was Jackee from Winded Words who kicked me in the butt, she set a goal to write 1K every day for two weeks and since then I've written every day (crap words, they meant nothing) but yesterday I finally got my mojo back and it was great. My current WiP has been sitting in revisions stuck and finally I came up with a new plan of attack!

It fueled my fire!!

Ju Dimello said...

Hey :)

Left a really late comment on the Let's talk blogfest entry.. Still catching up !

Found this new blog to follow and to catch up on loads of posts :)

Nice one !

Lydia Kang said...

congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!

That is a huge thing! I can't say I've had that big an achievement, but I did have a beta say she couldn't put my MS down till she read the whole thing and it pissed off her hubby! Yay!

Lola Sharp said...

CONGRATS and fingers crossed for you!! :)

Anonymous said...

You just stoked my fire. That's great news! I like literary magazines, especially those that accept creative non-fiction. I will be checking this one out.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Congratulations, Nicole! That's fantastic. What an honor for you! Yay!!!

Samantha Bennett said...

Yippee! Gotta love the nods and nudges that keep the words flowing. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Nicole! That's very, very amazing. :)

Shelley Sly said...

Congratulations on the honorable mention, and I am totally hoping for your publication! You are such a gifted writer, whether or not this gets published, I'm so happy that you're reminded of how well you write! :)

Missed Periods said...

You were kidnapped by Central African Rebels! I am looking forward to reading about that when I read it in New Millenium Writings (fingers crossed). Congrats on the honorable mention.