Monday, June 21, 2010

Bon Appetit!


Eating is a sacred pastime in France.  For real.  And with good reason:  French cuisine is indisputably, (as far as the French are concerned), the most delicious food on the planet.

My mother-in-law is a phenomenal cook, and I thrived under her tutelage in the early years of my marriage.  One of the things she taught me was always, always use fresh ingredients.  Here's a pic of Cody and Sidney helping her in her garden, where she goes each day with basket in hand to harvest the vegetables and herbs she'll use in her dishes that day:



 And this bottom pic is Sidney bringing in a basket of potatoes she and her grandfather had just pulled out of the earth.  Thirty minutes after this picture was taken, we were eating the most delicious French fries ever!

The French eat their meals in courses, which is a difficult custom to adapt to when you are used to eating family-style, American meals.  In fact, the first few meals I took in France were painful because I thought the first course WAS the meal.  I ate my fill.  And then another plate of food came out.  So I dug in...and then another was served...  My future in-laws were thrilled that I appreciated their food so much, and I didn't dare decline another serving.  I've since learned that you take just a spoonful of food at each course, so that by the end you have eaten the equivalent of a normal plateful of food.  Trust me though, I put on ten pounds before I had the whole thing figured out.


 The first course, called l'entrée is typically light fare, for example a plate of charcuterie: slices of cooked or cured jambon (ham), saucissons (dried sausage), and paté; or quiche, or soup (in the winter) or sliced cantaloupe drizzled with port wine (in the summer).  And wine, bien sûr.





The second course is la pièce de résistance, or the main dish.  It is meat (or chicken or fish), often served in the sauce it was cooked in and vegetables.  Many traditional French recipes are cooked "peasant-style," with all the ingredients in a large pot or dutch oven.  This is my favorite way to cook.  The key is the sear the meat in the pot to help it retain its flavorful juices, then remove the meat and déglasse the pan with white wine, scraping up the browned bits of meat stuck to the bottom.  Add the vegetables, herbs and stock, and let the pot cook over low heat for several hours.  There is simply no way to attain the depth of flavor the French have mastered without slow cooking!



The third course sometimes opens with a fresh, leafy green salad, but not always.  Whether or not salad is served, the cheese plate always goes around.  The French love their stinky cheese!  I was once at a dinner party with twenty people at one table.  Luckily, I was on my third glass of wine at the time.  The cheese was so pungent, I literally tried not to breathe through my nose.  My table neighbors couldn't stop raving, putting their noses as close to the plate as they could and inhaling deeply.  My nose wrinkles from the memory!


The dessert course is my favorite!  Although I'm a die-hard chocoholic, the fruit concoctions in France are fantastic.  My mother-in-law bakes a clarfoutis that is out of this world.  She starts out behind the garden, picking cherries off the tree.  Leaving the pits in, she dumps the rinsed cherries into a buttered baking dish and pours a homemade cake batter on top.  (She tried to teach me this recipe, but didn't know the exact measurements.  "Add some sugar..."  "How much sugar?"  "Oh, I don't know, a bowlful."  What?)


Last is the coffee course.  This was perhaps the hardest adjustment I've have to make over there.  I want my coffee with my dessert!  Oddly, the French don't believe the two go together.  It's the only issue I take with them -- Snaps to Americans for our dessert-and-coffee- combo genius!


Man, this post is making me hungry.... Hope I don't gain fifty pounds on vacation...!









Bon appétit! 



Leave me a comment to earn one entry in my Vive la France! Contest.
Click here for full details.


33 comments:

sarahjayne smythe said...

OMG! Your kids are so cute. And all that food looks to die for. What a great way to eat. I'm going to have to try it someday. :)

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

WELL...this post is making ME hungry too! LOL!

Um, so, I know I will love all of your scheduled posts while you're gone and I've been looking forward to these. I just know you're having a great time!

Unknown said...

Adorable little one's!!! Wow what pictures, yes France is known for their cuisine, one day I hope to visit and taste the delicious French cuisine! Until then I'll dream through you!

Stina said...

Oh yummy! I loooooove French cheese. :D

Cherie Reich said...

Mmm...food. I could go for some cheese and dessert. *laughs and wonders where to eat for lunch today* Hmm.

Wendy Ramer, Author said...

Gorgeous last photo there. And the eating by courses sounds very much like the Italian culture of food, which is why I, like you, was a slow learner during my time living there and put on quite a few myself ;-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're making me hungry, too!

j.m. neeb said...

Huh, so now I know the origins of the phrase "la pièce de résistance." Interesting.

It's also quite fascinating to think about the differences betweent the way we do things here in the States vs. other cultures.

I probably would have over-indulged in the first course, too.

Lola Sharp said...

Now I'm hungry!
I LOVE stinky cheese.

I like coffee WITH my dessert (and with my breakfast) too.

I hope you arrived safely and you guys are having fun.

Love,
Lola

mi said...

at me to the list of people now hungry!

glad to hear you are having such a great time!

Anonymous said...

The swankiest French restaurant in town here in Philly is Le Bec Fin. Georges Perrier is the chef, and the food is PHENOMENAL. It's expensive, but the bar downstairs from Le Bec Fin serves exactly the same food from exactly the same kitchen, and the drinks are actually reasonably priced... so you know where I prefer to go. :)

Talli Roland said...

Yum-EEEE!

I've just had dinner and I'm hungry again!

Anastasia V. Pergakis said...

I have an award for you at my blog!

Anonymous said...

The French definitely know how to eat. Fresh is always the way to go!

Summer Frey said...

Oh, fresh food! Definitely the way to go!

I love my stinky cheese too. :-) My husband says I have the palette of an old man, but what can I say?

Coffee with dessert is great, but I can see ending with it...

Hope you're having a blast!

Julie Dao said...

Okay I am drooling over this post. Everything looks and sound so delicious (except the stinky cheese, although I won't say no to trying something once!). The French are unmatched in cuisine. When I went to Paris I thought I'd died and gone to food heaven. I can't wait to go back and gain another 10 pounds - so worth it! Hope you're enjoying France! :)

Terry Stonecrop said...

I thought I was hungry before I read this. Mmmm. Those pix!Love French food. If you gain ten pounds it will be worth it! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

You've made me ravenously hungry.

Gardner West, private eye said...

Hey Nicole babe. Cool blog you got here.

Hope you're having fun in France.

Anonymous said...

This post is making me hungry, too, and I've just finished eating. These look yummy.

Little Ms J said...

I don't want to read you blog I want to be with you! I'm staring at pictures of food and you're eating it! Dammit.

Enjoy your trip, lady.

Vicki Rocho said...

I don't think I've ever had french food. Hmmm...might need to remedy that. Everything here looked delish!

prashant said...

Fresh is always the way to go!
Contextual Ad Network India

Jessica Bell said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE french cuisine! I could eat dairy, cheese and pastries all day long ... Hmmmm ...
Hope you're having fun!

Jai Joshi said...

French pastries are to die for. French bread is the same. It's a pity that real French bread can't be found in the states no matter what the stores want to call that hack bread they sell. It depresses the hell out of me.

Which reminds me, I need to buy some French bread. Thanks for prompting my memory, Nicole!

Jai

Liza said...

I'm officially hungry.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say: "Yummmm!"
I love the pictures of the garden, the food, and letting us know how they do things outside of the USA.
I like it!

Lenny Lee said...

i want to say something but i cant cause you made me sooooo hungry i have to go get something to eat. ha ha.

Laura S. said...

Oh my! Now I'm already hungry and I just ate! I've never been to Europe and to be honest one of the reasons I want to go there is for the FOOD, lol! Among other things of course, but, oh, THE FOOD!!!

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

Absolutely precious!! I love this post - so adorable.


Visit My Kingdom Anytime

DL Hammons said...

YUM YUM!!!! "That's all I have to say about that," said in my best Forest Gump impersonation. :)

Deniz Bevan said...

I agree with you, I like coffee and dessert at the same time. But then, I like drinking coffee *all* the time! I wish cheese as a course was more common everywhere!

Sophia said...

I remember the table next to my parents and I getting a cheese plate and being appalled and now I've grown (aww!) the cheese is one of the things I'm most looking forward to on my eventual trip to Paris. Well, the food generally!
- Sophia