Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Truth and an Excerpt to Prove It

Almost every lie I wrote yesterday held a grain of truth, but there was nothing false about the two that were true. Of course, I've written stories about the most harrowing of my life's adventures, so my Tuesday Teaser will follow, a snippet from that story. But first:

1. I earned my doctorate in Rhetorical Speaking from the State University of New York at Oswego. Nope. I earned a Bachelor's in Rhetorical Communications from that school.

2. We have seven pets: a Shitzu puppy named Sammy, a Himalayan Persian cat named Pumpkin, an African Gray parrot named C.J., two love birds called Happy and Mango, a Betta Fish called Mr. Odie, and a frog named Jeremiah that hatched from a tadpole we caught in the pond out back. False! We have a Betta named Mr. Odie, but the other pets ALL live with my sister.

3. A ten-foot-long shark swam right alongside me while I was looking for seashells in water up to my knees on the Florida coast. TRUE! I was beach combing on a six a.m. walk, and I thought it was a dolphin in the water. I couldn't believe I was that close to a dolphin and in my excitement, I waded further in and walked alongside it. When it didn't surface for air I became suspicious, but when it thrashed its head I was sure: it was a shark, trolling the shore for breakfast.

4. I trained for three months and won at the regional level (Southeastern U.S.) of the Fitness America Competition. No...but I did place third!

5. I was kidnapped at gunpoint by machine gun-toting rebels during an African civil war. 100% True. See excerpt below.

6. One summer, I juiced three cucumbers a day, and drinking the juice made my hair grow six inches in three and a half months. No way.

7. In 1991, I shook Madonna's hand on the red carpet when she arrived for the premier of Truth or Dare in Hollywood, CA. Untrue-ish. I was there, and Madonna stepped out of her limo fifteen feet in front of me. But I didn't shake her hand.

8. I speak four languages: English (duh), French, Spanish, and an African dialect called Sango. Nope, I only speak three languages. No hablo Espagnol.






I apologize in advance for only offering a short excerpt of the following. In the Face of Danger, which tells the story of my abduction by rebel soldiers during the 1996 mutant army uprising in the Central African Republic, is currently submitted to The New Millennium Awards contest in the category of Creative Non-Fiction. For this reason, I can't publish it on the web. And, for the same reason, this excerpt will only be up for one day.

Here's the set-up: I was a Peace Corps volunteer with only a few months of service left before finishing my two year, three month tour of duty. My husband Christian, who was then my fiancé, and I met there. At the time of this story, he was living ten kilometers away on his company's construction base. When the war broke out, the Peace Corp issued a country-wide evacuation, and we were to follow the Emergency Evacuation Plan implicitly. This included volunteers in the region locking ourselves in the predesignated "Safe House" and awaiting further instructions. We were not to leave under any circumstances. I did. Here's what happened:

Excerpt From: In the Face of Danger
by Nicole Ducleroir


[Removed]



29 comments:

Talli Roland said...

I'm speechless, Nicole. I can't believe you've been through something like that! How brave you were. I'm SO relieved there was a happy ending to the whole thing. Wow!

And I guessed right about the shark (not that I actually thought it could be the truth! I was just being contrary!). My goodness, you've lived quite a life!

sarahjayne smythe said...

Wow. Speechless is right. That's a riveting piece. I hope it wins for you. And I'm thrilled you can tell us the story.

Unknown said...

Talli~ Thanks so much! And yes, when I add up the crazy stuff I've lived through, it's a bit surprising I'm still here, LOL!

Sarah Jayne~ Thank you! My fingers are crossed, but the competition is ridiculous with those literary magazine contests. (*sigh*) Results will be posted at the end of May. Ugh, long time to wait!

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. Best of luck with the contest.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Niki!

Anne Gallagher said...

I've been sitting here for at least ten minutes trying to think of something to say and my mouth is still hanging open.

And I thought you were the coolest delivering babies with no lights.

I hope your story wins, you so deserve it!

Jaydee Morgan said...

What an amazing story - and thankfully you're here to tell it.

Aubrie said...

Wow, I hope this story wins. Great writing can come right from personal experience. :)

Summer Frey said...

When I first read your truths and lies, this one stuck out to me, but I didn't want it to be true! Amazing story. Your kids should be proud of having such adventured parents.

Unknown said...

Piedmont~ Thanks! I've really got to get those insane African midwifery stories down on paper. One of these days...

Jaydee~ Thanks so much for reading and commenting!!

Aubrie~ The old adage 'write what you know' is always good advice!

Summer~ Didn't you say your brother lived through something similar? You should write about that some day!

Christine Danek said...

Wow! just Wow. I'm speechless. God bless you, lady. Good luck in the contest.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Holy cow! That is crazy! Good luck in the contest!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Wow... I think speechless pretty much says it all. I can't even imagine myself or what I would do in that situation.

Great snippet, though!

Lola Sharp said...

Whoa. (I was wrong on both my guesses.)
I had hoped this one wasn't the truth. Fortunately you are alive and well to share this story. I hope you win!

Thanks for sharing.

Love,
Lola

Julie Dao said...

WOW!!! I would NEVER have guessed that. What a terrifying situation. I don't even know what I would do if I were ever in danger like that. What an amazing story and you told it so well. I held my breath as I read it!

Anonymous said...

So, like, if I have a rhetorical question I want to ask, I should come to you, right? 'Cause you're an expert in that kind of thing, I'm assuming. What kind of classes do you take to get a Rhetorical Communications degree? (That wasn't a rhetorical question, by the way.)

As for the excerpt... whoa. That's all.

Hannah said...

.........


That's all I can think right now. I'm stunned. What a brave re-telling! Thank you for sharing what you could with us.

Laurel Garver said...

A riveting, real raw story. I wish you all the best with it and the contest!

And I'm a wee bit chuffed that I guessed the gun-toting guerilla attack was true.

Unknown said...

This was brilliant! I couldn't tear my eyes away, my heart raced with you, what danger it was, and how terrified you must have been. How amazing that you were able to live and tell the tail!

Thank you for sharing the truths and fibs I loved them all!

I am honored to have been able to receive this excerpt, it was truly amazing!

Anonymous said...

I have no words.

I really hope you win so that we can see the story in full!

I'm so glad you're safe, though. (I know this because, well, I just read your blog post so obviously you survived. ;o) )

Susan Fields said...

Wow - what a story! I never would have guessed that one was true. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with the contest (and while we're on the subject, congrats on your other contest win today - yay you!)

Elana Johnson said...

Wow, this is an inspirational post on so many levels. Thanks for sharing.

Shelley Sly said...

Oh my gosh.

Wow.

Incredible post, Nicole! Best of luck with the contest, you deserve to win! <3

Jemi Fraser said...

Wow! Incredible - I can't imagine how absolutely terrified you must have been. My heart is racing just reading it.

The story is beautifully written - good luck with the contest.

Portia said...

This is amazing. You—literally—took my breath away. And I thought your shark story was scary until I read your contest entry--good luck!

DL Hammons said...

OMG!!! Like the others, I totally blew past that choice because to consider it meant that it happened...to you. I'm at a loss for words...which...as a writer...you can understand.

lisa and laura said...

Oh. My. God. This is such an incredible story. It is like a movie. Beautifully written and I am absolutely shocked that it is true. In fact, more than one of your truths shocked me--you have lived such an unbelievable life so far!

Myrna Foster said...

Wow. I hope you win.

Matthew MacNish said...

Hi Nicole, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting, I think you forgot to follow though, unless there's something wrong with blogspot this morning. No big deal.

Anyway what a cool idea for a blog. I love that you say you'll be posting in your characters' voices (or maybe you already have, I'll check your earlier posts). Amazing true story here, I hope you win the contest and then we can read the whole thing.

It's great to meet another Georgia writer for me too!